Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
GMRS is only good for voice line of sight communication, has a range of 20 miles or less without repeaters. Amateur Radio on the other hand can do so much more than just talk to the rig behind you. You can send position reports, emails, pictures, and talk around the world without using a repeater… yes you need you general license to do most of that….

Ocean_Ranger

Rank VI

Expedition Master I

Santa Barbara, CA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Pickton
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6SRP (GMRS WROQ518)
I’ve was a ham before ovelanding, so that was my starting point. I feel better with access to the National hailing frequencies and more options for repeaters. One trip with a group that was using only GMRS convinced me that it was worthwhile to run both.

I typically monitor 146.46 and either 146.52 or a local repeater on my 2m radio. I also monitor ch 15 on GMRS. Particularly in areas where passing an oncoming vehicle can be difficult, I like to call on both 2m and GMRS to see if others are on the same stretch.

Ocean_Ranger

Rank VI

Expedition Master I

Santa Barbara, CA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Pickton
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6SRP (GMRS WROQ518)
I had one other related thought on this topic. I have made some awesome HF contacts while overlanding. Getting out of the city reduces RF noise. Getting up onto mountains increases propagation. For those of you thinking about upgrading your technician tickets to general or extra tickets, I highly recommend doing so. 15m, 17m, 20m and 40m are wonderful bands.

HF while overlanding is a ton of fun!!!

N6SRP

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I had one other related thought on this topic. I have made some awesome HF contacts while overlanding. Getting out of the city reduces RF noise. Getting up onto mountains increases propagation. For those of you thinking about upgrading your technician tickets to general or extra tickets, I highly recommend doing so. 15m, 17m, 20m and 40m are wonderful bands.

HF while overlanding is a ton of fun!!!

N6SRP
Not to mention the general portion of 10m is on fire

JeepingMike

Rank V

Advocate II

Greencastle, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stern
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7THL
Service Branch
USN Corpsman Veteran
"There can only be one" was a different storyline. These two have different usages, with some (minimal) overlap. As many others do, I have both. Options are good to have.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

It's a much easier point of entry for people to get equipment for FRS/GMRS, so that's one point for it.

I'm working on my HAM for a few different reasons.

That said, one of the reasons I prefer GMRS is that it works with people who don't have a license, and my license works for my family.

I will probably always run both. Even if I use my GMRS to monitor other channels. I love KG-1000G.

Reactions: KyleGrant

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
Unlimited potential, is what it boils down to. If you're looking for a purely utilitarian aspect the technician level should handle what you're after. If you're more interested from a hobby aspect, which I suspect you aren't (and that's perfectly fine); general and extra would interest you.

GMRS as others have said is a great entry into communications, I also have a GMRS license. Channels are pre-planned and things are much more 'organized', shall I say. If you tell another person go to Channel 10 (467.6125), then you can rest assured you'll be able to communicate as long as PL codes are the same or off.

Amateur radio doesn't really have any specific channels but there are agreed upon bandplans with permissions based upon your license level. GMRS keeps you limited to UHF, which has its pros/cons. HAM gives you a WIDE range of frequencies you can use. Instead of meeting on the trail and saying go to Channel 10 for GMRS, we could agree upon any number of frequencies (146.55, 446.1, etc.)

Another huge perk of amateur radio are the amount of repeaters you can find. GMRS is catching on in popularity due to the simplicity and it's superiority to CB, so repeaters are popping up. But! The amount of HAM repeaters is simply hand over fist, not comparable in numbers. You'll be hard pressed to find an area without repeater coverage which can greatly increase your range in an emergency situation.

I could go on and on... but GMRS is a great intro, I run both. HAM is infinitely flexible which is why I run it, plus I'm a radio nerd. With HAM I can almost guarantee I'll find a comms solution for just about any situation, especially when I throw HF in the mix.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Adding into this from another point. In my area its difficult to find a high power GMRS channel without a repeater on it and (or) a bunch of other groups talking. On 2 meter I don't have that issue. I have also had someone in base station, follow us around to the channel we switched to and continue their conversation over us. Out here, GMRS has turned into CB. The interference from other stations isn't all the time but it kind of sucks when your limited on how many channels you have.

OutOnAnAdventureTogether

Rank IV

Influencer II

Sioux Falls, SD, USA
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Rieck
Member #

Service Branch
Army
It's a much easier point of entry for people to get equipment for FRS/GMRS, so that's one point for it.

That said, one of the reasons I prefer GMRS is that it works with people who don't have a license, and my license works for my family.

I will probably always run both. Even if I use my GMRS to monitor other channels. I love KG-1000G.
I'm planning to put a k1000g+ in both my camper and TJ. With the correct antenna on both it will be good enough.

Reactions: jdunk and Dilldog

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I'm planning to put a k1000g+ in both my camper and TJ. With the correct antenna on both it will be good enough.
I have the MXTA26 from midland. It’s been great so far.

21 miles crystal clear. I need to go out and see if I can find the max range of the combination.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
My best distance was about 90 miles. 6db gain antenna, high quality coax. We were both elevated with the other mobile being about 5000 foot higher and perfect line of sight. We both came through just enough over the noise level to understand each other.
On two meter it was about the same with a slightly higher signal but my antenna is 7db gain and a little longer which gives me better receive.

Reactions: Dilldog

OutOnAnAdventureTogether

Rank IV

Influencer II

Sioux Falls, SD, USA
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Rieck
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Okay, I was looking at Midland too and was excited as they are one of the top suppliers and have been doing the business for a long time. The narrow vs wide band issue scared me off. I want gear that is simple and works while out on vacation, or overlanding.
I just bought a cheap pair of TI handhelds that are really FRS instead of GMRS. I wanted to see what the basic experience is before I spend real money on these. I don't want to talk to Marrakesh while overlanding unless I am there. It would be a good real world test to see if the different manufacturers really do work well together straight out of the box.
I need to research antennas more so I can get that setup better.

Reactions: Dilldog

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
FRS will give you a vague idea of how things work, the frequencies will be the same but FRS is limited to 2.5watts so usefulness will be more limited than a GMRS. As far as the narrow and wide band channels are concerned, all of that is preset in the radios, so it's not anything you will need to worry about. Unless you have an unlocked radio you are programming.

That said, FRS is perfectly fine for communicating with the rest of a convoy, GMRS would be needed if you wanted to communicate with the convoy and a basecamp. But it is still a good idea to be aware of GMRS as it is so popular, and in a case of protecting life, limb or property you don't need a license to request help.

Also all manufactures will play together. Radio services are standardized so manufacture of radio has nothing to do with access and compatibility with the service (by that I mean FRS, GMRS, Ham). Radio services are like OBDII ports on cars, it doesn't matter if you have cheap scan tool or a Snap-On, they will both be able to pull codes because it is standardized. The difference comes with features and overall quality.

Reactions: RaD Overlanding

OutOnAnAdventureTogether

Rank IV

Influencer II

Sioux Falls, SD, USA
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Rieck
Member #

Service Branch
Army
What about the midland narrow band working with the Wouxcun wide band? It was enough of an issue that midland added the ability to change the settings to wide if needed.