Hamburg, Germany
First Name
Thore
Last Name
Fahrenbach
Member #

Service Branch
Higher Education
Hey, hope you used the hours to plan the coming weekend to spend time in nature.

I wanted to hear how many of you use chest packs. Be it for Overlanding or camp life.
If you use one, what are your personal preferences and what do you carry as essentials?

I personally use the Helikon-Tex Chest Pack Numbat. I like the look of it extremely well, as it doesn't look so extremely militaristic. It is equipped with things that I like to have at hand quickly:

- "Midland" G7 Pro (thanks to @B.Kuehn)
- "Led Lenser" P3 (little but bright torch)
- "Mora" Companion knife (in black for sure)
- Medical gloves
- some basic first aid
- "Leatherman" Wave + multitool
- "Fox 40"emergency whistle
- "Rite in the Rain" all-weather universal N° 735
- waterproof pencil
- "Light my fire" fire steel
- "Rescue 3 International" Technician Field Manuel
- "Neutrogena" lip care
- Working Gloves
- Cable tie
- "Goal Zero" Guide+
- "ChitoSAM 100" (high-performance hemostatic)
- "Orbiloc" emergency light (outside)
- Little Powerbar (hungry moments are bad moments ;))

Do I miss anything important?

Thanks to @ALNSM_Overland for the nice walkthrough video

Attachments

Last edited:

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I've been looking at getting one of these for a while but always found ones that were either too "tacticool" or too hypebeast so i gave up looking a couple of years ago. I love the look of the one you have and also see now that Patagonia is making one. Looks like it's time for me to buy a new bag! As a substitute to the chest bag i have been using a leg drop bag for a few years and love the utility, but i think a chest bag would be more user friendly in terms of not only organizing things, but FINDING things when i need them, lol

Reactions: XC70_OVERLANDER

XC70_OVERLANDER

Local Expert Northern Germany

Navigator II

Hamburg, Germany
First Name
Thore
Last Name
Fahrenbach
Member #

Service Branch
Higher Education
I've been looking at getting one of these for a while but always found ones that were either too "tacticool" or too hypebeast so i gave up looking a couple of years ago. I love the look of the one you have and also see now that Patagonia is making one. Looks like it's time for me to buy a new bag! As a substitute to the chest bag i have been using a leg drop bag for a few years and love the utility, but i think a chest bag would be more user friendly in terms of not only organizing things, but FINDING things when i need them, lol
Great to hear that you might get one yourself. The one I have is super durable. Wich should be a super important point in a decision to buy something new. Cause durability is a key to sustainability.

Reactions: brien

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines

then when the kid becomes a teenager and starts walking on their own, there will be even more room for extras...

Last edited:

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
I have a Hill people Gear chest pack for years. Very comfortable to wear. I one for fly fishing and another one for general use. Great for carrying a pistol and extra mag. Also useful for skiing, I can keep everything i would carry in pockets in the pouch and everything is easy to get to.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I tried one like you show for running - literally. My chest got so hot I almost went into a cardiac event. Needless to say, I didn’t use it again. I have since used a small fly-fishing pack from Orvis as a chest pack for running as it has more venting and is not as hot - besides being pretty small. Still, only use it on very rare occasions.

I guess for hiking (primarily backpacking) I would use one. But I’m not sure the discomfort would outweigh the benefit around camp.

XC70_OVERLANDER

Navigator II

Hamburg, Germany
First Name
Thore
Last Name
Fahrenbach
Member #

Service Branch
Higher Education
Any news about your decision?

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I was in the Army for 10 years, I absolutely hate crap in my pants pockets when I'm hiking. Wallet, phone, keys, knife, and map if required go in a fanny pack on my front. Pants totally empty. Day pack or whatever on my back with the rest.

49323233_1149468441882253_1247209935268216832_n.jpg88281221_1491238817705212_481593793842249728_n.jpg

XC70_OVERLANDER

Navigator II

Hamburg, Germany
First Name
Thore
Last Name
Fahrenbach
Member #

Service Branch
Higher Education
I was in the Army for 10 years, I absolutely hate crap in my pants pockets when I'm hiking. Wallet, phone, keys, knife, and map if required go in a fanny pack on my front. Pants totally empty. Day pack or whatever on my back with the rest.

View attachment 268324View attachment 268325
Good point. I love my pockets empty too.
Another benefit during the colder trips the chest packs keeps your core warm.

Attachments

Reactions: Ethan N