Who is good with and knows suspension stuff well?

• HTML tutorial

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

Anyone feel like they are pretty good with suspensions stuff? I have some questions about shocks, coils, etc...I just ran into an issue with which shocks I was going to run and now am looking for some good information or suggestions. Was going to run the Bilstein 5100's but after talking with someone from 4wheelparts.com it seems as if they won't work for me. Now i'm back to the drawing board.:weary:

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

What kind of a rig do you own? Carli Suspension is very good as is Camborg Engineering. Both have web sites.

Reactions: Lil Bear

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

What kind of a rig do you own? Carli Suspension is very good as is Camborg Engineering. Both have web sites.
I have a 2016 Nissan Titan XD with the cummins. Was gonna run the 5100 series from Bilstein but the 4wheelparts person told me that the rear wont work with my truck due to 2 inch blocks and the front will actually make me sit lower then the level on it now. I was going that route for one because the Bilsteins are good and I don't have to sell a kidney to get them! I emailed OME and they said they had nothing for my truck(shrugs). I love my truck but dang theres no love out here for aftermarket stuff for these trucks it seems. Unless you have very deep pockets. Mine aren't deep and they have holes.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Lose the leveling kit and use adjustable struts or coil overs:

Weigh your truck, save up for a little while, and then call Filthy Motorsports if you want the good stuff:

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

Weigh your truck, save up for a little while, and then call Filthy Motorsports if you want the good stuff:
NICCCCE!!! Thanks!! This is now an option!

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
As @MidOH said, try to get your truck weighed. At least front/rear, not total. When you talk to the shop, make sure they know the weight and ask how close their springs/shocks are to your weight.

The spring is important for the height, the shock needs to match the weight also. The spring supports and the shock controls the speed the suspension moves up and down. Odd's are, whatever you get wont be perfect but some of the shops will get real close. 4wp gives you a "this size fits almost all" shock/spring. If you got into racing, suspension tuning is a must. For street/mild dirt, not so much. If you have your shocks tuned anyway, the ride is so much better. FYI..shock tuning can be pricy which is why very few people do it for an "overlanding" vehicle. I got lucky with the set up on my cruiser and the shocks and springs were close to perfect right out of the box. I threw away a set of 8 month old OME's because the tune wasn't even close. Most of their shocks are valved way too stiff for my liking.

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

I second Filthy Motorsports. I quoted out both Filthy and Accutune and hands down Filthy’s CS wins.

After placing the order and paying the $100 for custom valving, Ben, the owner, spent almost an hour on the phone with me two days later going through weight, options, what he thought, etc.

He still does all the custom valving calls because he enjoys it. Look up their YouTube videos. Definitely educational.

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Forgot to add that he request that you send a picture and measurements after 1000 miles so he can see if the spring rates and such are right.

Reactions: RoarinRow

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

Wow, everyone's input and advice is great!! Thank y'all! So upon some further research I've come across an idea. Now I'm thinking maybe I should do a 2-2.5in add a leaf lift in the back and do a 3 inch in the front. I've seen a couple 3 inch lift kits with UCA's so all I'd have to do is add the shocks. Maybe I can find a set of decent coilovers for the front.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

This statement is about as valid as Ford V Chevy debate or who’s tires are best. Both have insane custom off-road racing shocks, both can be tuned with custom valves and are rebuildable, both mike there money selling 2 to 3 inch shocks to the masses. Go to any SCORE or BID off-road race and you’ll see both. Marketing is a play changing perception.
QUOTE="Autism Family Travels, post: 511127, member: 31045"]
Maybe the color is nicer but the King shocks are much better than the fox.
[/QUOTE]

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Sure, Chevy v Ford says the guy that has pushed his shocks to failure. Bilstines and Kings both failed because of the driver and miles of washboard. I am on Fox now because I got a deal, I have run both.
King's off the shelf offerings are indeed better than fox's off the shelf offerings. Custom, thats a different story.

Reactions: Lil Bear

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Sure, Chevy v Ford says the guy that has pushed his shocks to failure. Bilstines and Kings both failed because of the driver and miles of washboard. I am on Fox now because I got a deal, I have run both.
Anyways. You can like what you want. that's fine. I know different. it's' not a brand versus brand, it's a WHATS USED INISDE. And you probably never got a deal and paid what they are really worth.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I will defer to accuruneoffroad. Go to the web site and look up Fox V King 2’ comparison. They sell both by the way. Ford V Chevy. I don’t have a preference, they both make great stuff.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
It's just a damn tube filled with oil. Kings are no better or worse than Fox.

Every difference between the two has it's ups and downs. For example the top out stop, nice squishy Rubber on the Fox, billet aluminum on the King. So Fox is better right? Not when that Rubber bumper rips loose and is floating around in your shock.

The Fox shock shaft is harder than Kings. Better right? Wrong again. It's only better until it ain't. Plenty of Fox's wiped out due to corrosion before our Kings scratched up.

Right now, I lean towards Fox. But by the smallest of margins.

Last edited:

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
It's just a damn tube filled with oil. Kings are no better or worse than Fox.

Every difference between the two has it's ups and downs. For example the top out stop, nice squishy Rubber on the Fox, billet aluminum on the King. So Fox is better right? Not when that Rubber bumper rips loose and is floating around in your shock.

The Fox shock shaft is harder than Kings. Better right? Wrong again. It's only better until it ain't. Plenty of Fox's wiped out due to corrosion before our Kings scratched up.

Right now, I lean towards Fox. But by the smallest of margins.
Exactly my point. You listed a bunch of reasons kings are better. But yet choose fox. Why? Cheaper?