Rank III

Enthusiast II

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Tripp
Last Name
Westbrook
Member #

Looking to install aux lights on Discovery 5 and have debated going with either white or amber light. These would be front grille mounted, not roof rack mounted.

I know amber is best in poor weather (rain, snow, etc), but how does it perform in good weather? I realize there's probably not a good one application fits all, but looking to make the most out of whatever I put on the front of my rig.

Thanks.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Million dollar question.
You can find U-Tube video proving either way. For me, its all based on what bulb and what housing and I prefer 4k white. I use to use all HID then I went to LED and now I'm going back to HID. If you have a poor lens or not correctly aimed, they both don't work. I suggest you try both. If you only do one, how do you know if the other is better. Where I drive, yellow doesn't seem to work as well as white.

Reactions: BlueTinCan
D

Deleted member 14476

Well, they each do exactly as you describe. White is for typical night driving while amber (also green I learned not too long ago) cut through particles in the air.
So if you had to go with one or the other, it’s more of a personal matter of which you’ll think will be more useful for you. Ambers are bright, but very toned down compared to a white one. Pros and cons to both. You could always just buy amber covers for white lights though so you’d have the best of both worlds.

Reactions: underdog493

Visiontrd

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Saint Charles, St. Charles County, Missouri, United States
First Name
Brent
Last Name
LaBonde
Member #

I had factor driving lights in my Sequoia. Changed them to and amber fog w/led bulbs. There was definitely a noticeable difference on foggy or cloudy days . Since I've modified the housings to hold diode dynamics ss3 pro flush mount ( major difference)

Attachments

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Well, they each do exactly as you describe. White is for typical night driving while amber (also green I learned not too long ago) cut through particles in the air.
So if you had to go with one or the other, it’s more of a personal matter of which you’ll think will be more useful for you. Ambers are bright, but very toned down compared to a white one. Pros and cons to both. You could always just buy amber covers for white lights though so you’d have the best of both worlds.
Indeed, green is actually best for underwater applications, not so much topside. This fact known to undersea archaeologists since the 70's and 80's

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Looking to install aux lights on Discovery 5 and have debated going with either white or amber light. These would be front grille mounted, not roof rack mounted.

I know amber is best in poor weather (rain, snow, etc), but how does it perform in good weather? I realize there's probably not a good one application fits all, but looking to make the most out of whatever I put on the front of my rig.

Thanks.
Why no both. Amber is excellent for fog lights and use white for camp floods and spots. Place a row of each in your grill and test what you like best but you may end up using ambers during f oi ul weather and white in clear weather darkness

underdog493

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Haysville, KS, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Hill
Member #

I second this, if you want the best bang for the buck and only plan on getting one set of lights. Get white with amber covers.

GBGCR4x4

Rank III

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Gianluca
Last Name
Boncompagni
Just my two cents: I have both, amber pods and an LED light bar (flood & spot). Honestly, the amber pods have worked well when it's raining and foggy, but not great. The LEd white light is not safe when raining, there's too much reflection and it was actually giving me a hard time to properly watch the road. However, when not raining, it's been much, much better. If you can have both, you get the benefits in all situations!

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I have DOT amber fog lights for a Jeep JK in my ARB bumper. I absolutely love them. The lights put a lot of light down low and do not reflect rain/snow and are still great during good weather.

1642192477214.png

I also have two bright white HID spot lights on my bumper that are worthless in poor weather. They reflect a ton of light on whatever is floating around in the air. They are even useless with wind blown dust. However, you can see that none of the amber light reflects back.
1642192348695.png

My only amber light experience is with DOT compliant amber FOG lights. I do not have experience with an amber pods/spotlights or experience with lens filters.

Dorobuta

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Chandler, AZ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lovern
I have Diode Dynamics SS3 pro fog lights arriving today in amber, I'm replacing the factory fog lights with these. (5th gen Toyota 4Runner)

I'll be adding ditch lights and roof lights later, bother will be in white light.

Visiontrd

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Saint Charles, St. Charles County, Missouri, United States
First Name
Brent
Last Name
LaBonde
Member #

I have Diode Dynamics SS3 pro fog lights arriving today in amber, I'm replacing the factory fog lights with these. (5th gen Toyota 4Runner)

I'll be adding ditch lights and roof lights later, bother will be in white light.
You will love them I have the amber ss3 pro sae fog flush in my driving/fog location and their ss3 pro sae driving on my ditch and adding the ss1 flood on the sides

Attachments

Reactions: Dorobuta

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I went with the rigid white lights and they make an amber filter for them that I picked up as well. About the best of both worlds as I can get. filter clips on and off easy and can withstand highway speeds.

w_m_photo

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Gahanna, OH
First Name
Walt
Last Name
Middleton
Member #

honestly for me is the white lights with amber covers if needed. Amber does so much better when there is stuff in the way... rain, fog, snow... ect...

Shortstack.rn

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Last Name
Laird
Member #

Thanks.
Several have mentioned it and I’d agree that the aux lights that have interchangeable covers are the best of both worlds pending your situation. I just installed the KC Flex Era 3’s that my daughters got me for Christmas. I purchased the optional amber covers. In seconds I can pop them on and off. Those I have in the ditch position. My fogs however I do run the yellow/ amber Diode Dynamics and they do not disappoint in any ambient conditions!

Attachments

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Thanks.
Amber is the colour for winter snow conditions. The amber light contrasts better with the driven white snow offering better depth vision. Not sure if white is better in summer fog ar not, we always switched lighting 40 years ago rallying. Today I just slow down. I find new halogen sealed beams plenty good when I drive like a white man.

Amber is definitely better in a snow storm. We had 100W halogen amber fogs. They were incredible at 80mph.

Last edited:

Dorobuta

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Chandler, AZ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lovern
well, the SS3s are installed and aimed somewhat properly. The whole process is very simple and there are dozens of Youtube videos out there of people installing them. They all gloss over two things for the 5th gen 4Runner:

The stupid shroud around the light on the passenger side. This is a splash guard because of the air intake holes built into the fender liner. It's a pain to remove, even using a screw driver to push the tabs on the side. (it's also a pain when you discover you buttoned everything up and the shroud is still sitting on the ground next to you :angry:)

The other glossed over thing was it probably took me as long to get the hex key inserted to tighten down the bolts after aiming the lights as it did for everything else. I thin you need to be triple jointed or something...

However, now that they're in, I regret not doing this sooner. I'll post pics when get a chance.