Rank I

Enthusiast I

Lawrenceville
First Name
Zachery
Last Name
Agha
Member #

Hey everyone, my name is Zach and I’m 19. Unlike many people I am a tall heavy guy, 6’4 and 300 pounds to be exact. I have a budget of around 2 ish grand and I want to buy an overlanding vehicle that can also be daily driven. I don’t want to really spend a ton of money on a rooftop tent and would prefer to make a bed in the cargo space of an suv or have a bed cover on a truck. Since I am so tall I’m limited when it comes to building a bed in the back. Would having the bedding L shaped give me more overall sleeping room. What ideas should I have to help with this. And what vehicles have bud enough trunk/cargo/bed space for my size. I like third gen explorers but I’ve heard mixed things, also looking into a montero. Im not a fan of massive vehicles an expedition/Tahoe is kind of pushing it for what I want. What wpuld you guys recommend for me? I’d appreciate all of your feedback!!

Reactions: Kent R

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

$2000.00 budget ?

Big guy, so I'd recommend a 30 year old full size domestic van or pickup.
$2K, RWD only.

Say E250 or F250 retired municipal service truck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Road

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I lived In the back of a full sized blazer for a bit right outta high school. I'm not as tall as you but I had plenty of room to sleep diagonally. The only thing I would really look at is how flat the seats actually go if you go with an sun otherwise you end up with a hump in the middle and one end up way higher. You could however build the back up a bit to make it level and have some storage under it... I wasn't that smart back then...

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Unfortunately the price of all the used trucks and 4x4 rigs has gone through the roof.

Years ago 2k would buy you a great Ramcharger or Powerwagon or Power RAM. Unfortunately 2k is gonna buy you a 4x4 that needs extensive work.

Maybe you could find a Jeep Cherokee or Grand Cherokee for cheap. But still at 2k you will need to do some work.

Sorry...i can not reccomend other vehicles...my views and talents involve Mopar vehicles.

Seems Nissan Xterra are pretty popular here. And can be had cheap sometimes...

A dodge Dakota or Durango from 98 to 03 would be a good thing to search for aswell.

Reactions: EXPO_D1

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
I'm 6'2" and 330. My preferred vehicle is an XJ. Everything about them is inexpensive and they are extremely capable. The seating room is decent, but you may need to check the head clearance. They aren't very tall.

This is my Son's XJ. Bought for $1200. We had to fix an oil pan leak and a bent tie rod. He added a $100 lift kit and a set of tires to it. He still under $2500 total.

Mine is a little more expensive but still under $8K.

Reactions: Road and DevilDodge

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey everyone, my name is Zach and I’m 19. Unlike many people I am a tall heavy guy, 6’4 and 300 pounds to be exact. I have a budget of around 2 ish grand and I want to buy an overlanding vehicle that can also be daily driven. I don’t want to really spend a ton of money on a rooftop tent and would prefer to make a bed in the cargo space of an suv or have a bed cover on a truck. Since I am so tall I’m limited when it comes to building a bed in the back. Would having the bedding L shaped give me more overall sleeping room. What ideas should I have to help with this. And what vehicles have bud enough trunk/cargo/bed space for my size. I like third gen explorers but I’ve heard mixed things, also looking into a montero. Im not a fan of massive vehicles an expedition/Tahoe is kind of pushing it for what I want. What wpuld you guys recommend for me? I’d appreciate all of your feedback!!
Welcome to Overland Bound Zach
You might ask this question on another part of the forum just to get more traction. Here are a few for starters.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the East Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative to you is @diabetiktaco
Your Regional Director is @Nomadik Nova
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

Reactions: M Rose

Zagha725

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Lawrenceville
First Name
Zachery
Last Name
Agha
Member #

Right now I’m at around 1600 but within the next few weeks from paychecks I’ll be around 3k so anywhere from 2 to 3k vehicles will work. I find some vehicles that I like but the 4wd spec isn’t with it. That’s the only issue I have is finding what I want or something that will fit me as a cargo space camper converter.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Right now I’m at around 1600 but within the next few weeks from paychecks I’ll be around 3k so anywhere from 2 to 3k vehicles will work. I find some vehicles that I like but the 4wd spec isn’t with it. That’s the only issue I have is finding what I want or something that will fit me as a cargo space camper converter.
Prices vary by location, but a few years ago I was able to find a good used GMC Envoy 4x4 for $5k in Austin, TX. Envoy's and their Trailblazer cousins seem to be pretty cheap and plentiful. They are mid-size rigs and big enough to carry most anything. Ours had a 4.3 inline 6, but they can also be had with a 5.3 V8. With the back seats folded down, you would sleep pretty comfortably. Especially if you get the extended version with the 3rd row seating.

IMAG1284.jpg

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

I think your main problem with any vehicle in the $2K to $3K range regardless of capability is how reliable and problem free will it be. In addition to the vehicle's purchase cost you will need to likely budget for minor fixes and maintenance that will need to be addressed. It's not just these costs either. You will need to have money set aside for vehicle registration with your state and also insurance. Just those two items is another $500 or so if you are doing it on the cheap. Once you do all of that weekly operating costs mainly fuel will eat into your paychecks leaving less money for fixes and mods.

I think in the price range you are setting you will need some good luck through persistence and patience to come into play. You will likely not be able to get the specific vehicle you are looking for and will need to come up with a broader list of vehicle types and sizes and see what falls into that category. You will need to be both persistent and patient checking every week (and day) for probably a number of weeks looking for that "right" vehicle that both fits in your price range and is mechanically in sound condition.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
20160628_113336.jpg
I bought this for 1300 bucks. Tried and true 3.9l V6. Has lots of room

It is 2wd, but has high Clearance and will take on all the forest service roads you can throw at it.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
$1600 is my trucks tire budget.

$2000 will get you gears and lockers, laying on the ground.

Heck it's about $1000 every single spring to get my Drz400s on the road.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I know you said you're not a fan of large vehicles, though vans are really going to be one of your best bets if you want to be comfortable at all, especially for the occasional longer adventure.

It was years ago, though I bought a diesel long wheelbase '98 Chevy Express van for $2700.00 and drove the piss out of it all over the country.

Now I have a long wheelbase GMC diesel van that's a bunch of years newer, cost a bit more, and drive the piss out of it all over the country, too. Backcountry dirt and gravel, beaches, pretty much anywhere I want to go. I'm not a mudder or rock crawler, though this van has always got me where I want to be.

And plenty room for a big fella like you.

vanint_6042-900.jpg
offroad-vannxv2-900.jpg

Last edited:

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Man, I hate to say it but I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for in that price range. You're 6'4" and want to sleep inside of something, but don't want a larger vehicle. And $2k is going to be extremely limiting for something that needs to also be your daily driver. I'm also having trouble picturing your "L" shaped bed buildout in a smaller SUV.

To get the most bang for your $2k bucks, you have to go with "unwanted" vehicles. My $0.02 would be something like a Chevy Astro van. They're cheap, reliable (relatively, at least) and easy to work on with lots of parts available in the junkyards. Since basically nobody "liked" Astro vans even when they were new, they were cheap. Notice I said "were"? Unfortunately it seems like lately the budget-Overlanding crowd caught on and they're actually in demand (a quick YouTube search turns up tons of "builds") so prices probably are going to be above the $2k level. There was even an AWD version, but from what I understand it was a terrible AWD system that you'd want/need to swap out for real 4wd parts which turns them into a cool rig, but would totally blow the budget.

-TJ

Reactions: DevilDodge and Road

Zagha725

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Lawrenceville
First Name
Zachery
Last Name
Agha
Member #

I might start considering an expedition or Tahoe / Yukon if I can it’s just this is gonna be a daily turned weekend driver to overland and I want an engine that can tow so I can get a street can to work on, might consider a used can dealership like a buy here pay here situation since I don’t have existing credit. What would y’all recommend then?

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

If you're dead set against vans, @Zagha725, though are amenable to Expeditions and Tahoes, you might want to consider Chevy Suburbans, too. Even the older ones when they were called Carryalls. I had one I lived out of while working, all through a northern winter, and took it on plenty adventures up into Canada. Wish I still had, it actually. It was a great truck.

Like @tjZ06 mentioned about Astro vans, there are always Chevy parts around, even for older rigs. You'd be surprised, especially if willing to travel a ways to pick it up, what you can find in wider searches around the country. I saw on another forum just last night that there are currently 8 Astro vans up for sale on just craigslist for the west coast.

I wouldn't worry about the credit thing, personally, and only once ever used credit to get a vehicle. A deal will emerge, have faith.

Keep on the lookout, know what you want and are willing to settle for, and it will happen when it's supposed to.

69ChevyCarryall_7486-900.jpg

Last edited: