Which RTT to buy???

• HTML tutorial

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Guess I'll have to deviate from the crowd here - we bought a Yakima thru REI, their larger one rated as 3 person - it goes up and down with the same ease as others we've seen and "played with" (think Overland Expo East).

Two features that stand out for me as very positives:

1) the rain fly extends out beyond and away from the tent walls so rain doesn't drain down or hit the tent walls and get everything wet (we live in N. GA and travel/camp in lower Appalachian Mtns of TN, NC, AL, & GA) so rain is a VERY common occurrence and I just hate to have wet sleeping bag that has unintentionally been left touching a wet tent wall allowing for wicking action to soak into the bag,
2) the roof of the fly has two clear panels which allows us to watch the stars, moon, trees, etc. These tent roof panels are mesh and can be sealed off with a zipper panel but the views are great most of the time. We really enjoyed this during our desert camping a few months back.

At time of our purchase this was a $1500 set up.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Guess I'll have to deviate from the crowd here - we bought a Yakima thru REI, their larger one rated as 3 person - it goes up and down with the same ease as others we've seen and "played with" (think Overland Expo East).

Two features that stand out for me as very positives:

1) the rain fly extends out beyond and away from the tent walls so rain doesn't drain down or hit the tent walls and get everything wet (we live in N. GA and travel/camp in lower Appalachian Mtns of TN, NC, AL, & GA) so rain is a VERY common occurrence and I just hate to have wet sleeping bag that has unintentionally been left touching a wet tent wall allowing for wicking action to soak into the bag,
2) the roof of the fly has two clear panels which allows us to watch the stars, moon, trees, etc. These tent roof panels are mesh and can be sealed off with a zipper panel but the views are great most of the time. We really enjoyed this during our desert camping a few months back.

At time of our purchase this was a $1500 set up.
Got to love the variety of products available to suit the needs of an overlander. :sunglasses:

Reactions: Drifterman

Fifty

Rank I

Traveler I

Norcal
I wish there was a spot that had a couple tents to check out with out having to go to expo west which I can’t get out to.
I’m in the Bay Area and i can’t think of anyplace that even stocks them. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one in an rei. Just order them via part number...

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

I wish there was a spot that had a couple tents to check out with out having to go to expo west which I can’t get out to.
I’m in the Bay Area and i can’t think of anyplace that even stocks them. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one in an rei. Just order them via part number...
Sounds like a good excuse for a RTT meet up.. see how many different tents we can get people to show up with.

ndamico

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Sacramento, CA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
D'Amico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6TBF
We are in Sacramento. We have several you can see.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

RTT are personal preference, me I went with the Smittybilt model 2783 for my trailer build. My purchase wasn't because of the price (which was nice) but on reviews on the internet & you tube. The added features "I" like was the extras @ no extra cost I got with tent: LED strip interior light, shoe bag, 12v. extension cord, 12v. dual USB charger & USB cord.

Sally & I are getting ready to leave in a few hours for 4 day cool weather dispersed camping trip.
004.JPG

Last edited:
S

SubeeBen

Just my 2 cents I have looked at a lot of tents & for the price I am going with a RTT from tuff stuff 4x4 the quality is exact if not better than ALOT of other tents out there on the market. ✌

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Within an hour or so one way or the other you have Overland Pros in Sacramento, Tepui Tents in Santa Cruz and Rhino Adventure Gear (iKamper and James Baroud) in Richmond. Im sure they all will let you take a look first hand. Another great place to see some RTTs as well, is at a meetup for sure.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Within an hour or so one way or the other you have Overland Pros in Sacramento, Tepui Tents in Santa Cruz and Rhino Adventure Gear (iKamper and James Baroud) in Richmond. Im sure they all will let you take a look first hand. Another great place to see some RTTs as well, is at a meetup for sure.
Additionally, San Cruz is where US Autohome does the installs for the Magiollina hardtop RTT. It's in the old Wrigley Gum factory building. Or you come over the mountain to Reno and see my tent.

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Additionally, San Cruz is where US Autohome does the installs for the Magiollina hardtop RTT. It's in the old Wrigley Gum factory building. Or you come over the mountain to Reno and see my tent.
Yeah thanks, I wasn’t sure if they were still here or moved to Carson City? Good to know.

Fifty

Rank I

Traveler I

Norcal
Wow so quite a few companies just around. Odd. and cool. I need to make sure I can get in and out of the ladder and door. Aside from eyeballing the features. I have a mobility issue now and always forget that. Crawled up a ladder onto my roof this summer and had the hardest time getting back down. My wife was PISSED lol!

Fifty

Rank I

Traveler I

Norcal
Headquarters are in Carson City. when we bought ours, HQ didn't have a show room. Lucky for us my good friend also uses the Magi RTT so I got to check it before I purchased.
Those hard top tents always seem to appear to have so little room in them, but the flip soft tents dont exactly have a ton of room either. I think its just false expectation form going from large ground tents. I need to do this one right. Its the last tent I will ever buy! Bucket list project

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Those hard top tents always seem to appear to have so little room in them, but the flip soft tents dont exactly have a ton of room either. I think its just false expectation form going from large ground tents. I need to do this one right. Its the last tent I will ever buy! Bucket list project
So Fifty, My friend is 6'6" and has the 'long' model of the Magi hard top tent that fits atop his Land Rover. My wife and I are both 5'9" and have the smaller version on our 4Runner. Think of it as a covered bed on top of the Rig with heavy canvas sides and a hard top. The assembly of the tent is ... you crank it up and that's that. But you're right, you need to do it right. I my opinion you need to crawl in a few and see how the 'fit.'

Fifty

Rank I

Traveler I

Norcal
Yeah. I think I’m going to make a couple drives. Out to Tepui, overland pros, rhino gear and the magi people if I can get ahold of them.

I need to get my wife on board for these. She is the “just you go and figure it out, get what you think is best”... but will bitch and moan if she doesn’t like what you got.

I need to convince her it’s her idea to go.

S

SubeeBen

Yeah. I think I’m going to make a couple drives. Out to Tepui, overland pros, rhino gear and the magi people if I can get ahold of them.

I need to get my wife on board for these. She is the “just you go and figure it out, get what you think is best”... but will bitch and moan if she doesn’t like what you got.

I need to convince her it’s her idea to go.
Smart man !!! Ha ha think a lot of overland bound wife’s are the same ✌

Fifty

Rank I

Traveler I

Norcal
She likes the cvt tents. I just need to find one of those around to look at.
Reality is the 2+ person tent. So 56x48 folded and need an annex.