Which Rooftop Tent?

• HTML tutorial

Traveler I

I'm looking into purchasing a rooftop tent by next Spring (have a big convoy heading to Utah) so I'm trying to save money to get one by this timeframe.

I don't need anything super fancy, but not super cheap either that'll break after a year, maybe between $600-$900.

I mainly need a two person tent.

Now, a question... the cross bars I have are rated up to 130lbs, but the combined weight in the tent would probably be like 400lb. Is there something I'm missing? Or do I need to add anything else?

PNWExplore

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bend Oregon
Member #

I am not aware of any tents in your price range. FSR tents come close though and their build quality is great. Friendly people as well. https://www.gofsr.com/

This is the closest to your price range https://www.gofsr.com/product/fsr-series-original-small/

Tell them a Bend local with a silver tacoma sent ya and they may be able to work a deal ;)

As far as the load bars go, the rating is typically the dynamic rating, so when you are moving down the road and going over bumps and such. Static load is much different and your roof can likely hold much more than that.

The above tent weighs just a touch over 100lbs

Reactions: aearles

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

I just purchased a 23Zero Byron based on a bunch of research. And I can't really offer feedback on it yet. But I emailed them Saturday to ask a question. They called me Monday morning. I ordered Monday morning, and it just arrived today. That IS FASTER THAN AMAZON FOLKS!

Can't wait to get it mounted and tested out.

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

I have a Frontrunner. 83 pounds. It is now mounted to a Frontrunner rack which sits on factory side bars on my Nissan. I first had it on Yakima tube rails, mounted to the factory side rack. 2.5 person, about 1,000 plus. Got mine on sale so it was under 1K.

PNWExplore

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bend Oregon
Member #

I just purchased a 23Zero Byron based on a bunch of research. And I can't really offer feedback on it yet. But I emailed them Saturday to ask a question. They called me Monday morning. I ordered Monday morning, and it just arrived today. That IS FASTER THAN AMAZON FOLKS!

Can't wait to get it mounted and tested out.
That is waaaaaay out of the price range specified by the OP.