First Name
Yaniv
Last Name
Eliash
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
4X5DL
I love the Kershaw,
super cheap, lightweight, and very comfortable in your hand.

If I'm not using it to open beer bottles,
I use to open amazon deliveries :D

Reactions: El-Dracho

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I carry either a mora companion, or mora bushcraft black. I love the mora knives and have been using them for years. even after buying other knives to try to find a better fit, they just never compare for me.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I carry either a mora companion, or mora bushcraft black. I love the mora knives and have been using them for years. even after buying other knives to try to find a better fit, they just never compare for me.
Thank you! Do you mean the standard Mora Companion or the Rescue Version? Will have a look at the Bushcraft Black also.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Sta
Thank you! Do you mean the standard Mora Companion or the Rescue Version? Will have a look at the Bushcraft Black also.
Standard companion. I have a carbon steel version for my pack, a stainless steel version for my car, and the bushcraft black I pack on every trip. It's basically a companion with a fire steel and sharpener built into the sheath and a think may be a tad thicker.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Everyday carry in a belt holster is a Leatherman Wave, front pocket is a SOG Escape folder (has a belt cutter and glass breaker)

in the overland jeep I have a SOG Seal Team Elite survival knife in a Kydex holster

Number one rescue tool that I have used is a good pair of paramedic shears, they cut thru just about anything, very minimal chance of cutting something that can bleed during an emergency when its dark and raining and you need to free someone (or yourself ) from a wreck. I keep a pair in each front door pocket of all the cars and clipped to my medic bag.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
What is the intended use for a rescue knife? To allow you to get out of a car after an accident, like cutting the seatbelt and breaking a window?

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
What is the intended use for a rescue knife? To allow you to get out of a car after an accident, like cutting the seatbelt and breaking a window?
Exactly, used for self-extrication in case of an accident, and secondly to help others that may be trapped if you come across an accident. For saving your own hide they only work if you can reach it and are familiar with how to use it. Remember you might be upside down in a water filled ditch. Not the best time to figure out how to access the cutter or realize the rollover has flung the tool across the vehicle out of reach.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Remember you might be upside down in a water filled ditch. Not the best time to figure out how to access the cutter or realize the rollover has flung the tool across the vehicle out of reach.
Very good advise - thanks for adding this here. When I mounted the emergency hammers (with seat-belt cutters) in the cab of the rig I tested the mounting position and checked if I could reach the hammer from the seat with a tight seat-belt.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

There's a few folks talking about survival knives here, but I'm going to try to stick to the original question regarding "rescue" knives.

I use the "Byrd" Cara Cara 2 rescue (by Spyderco). I have one in the center console of my 2014 GMC Sierra and the center console of my '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee. That way they can be reached by me OR the passenger. The handles are orange, non-slip, and the blades are serrated sheepsfoot. They cut through any nylon strapping with ease and you wont cut the patient even if you are in a rush. I also tie a yellow and brown workboot shoe lace through the hole of the knife, and affix it to the underside of the console door, so that, while the knife is plenty visible, if it were not, you could grab the boot lace and pull as hard as you can and have that knife in a second. The underside of the GMC console has a place for me to clip the knife, but is still have the boot lace there.

This Bryd Cara Cara 2 is extremely sharp, will shave the hair off my arm, and is also less than $30 USD.

I highly recommend it. Also serves well for kayaking in case you have to cut tangled bungee rope to get an upside,down kayaker out of the water .

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

The Byrd Cara Cara is essentially a larger sized Rescue Jr, though this old R3scue Jr uses ATS 55 and the Cara Cara 2 uses 8Cr13Mov. More bang for your buck using the Byrd. The Byrd IS made in China, but made to Spyderco specifications. So although inexpensive, it's " got it where it counts."

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I usually carry a pocket Benchmade similar to this one

View attachment 174933

but my "survival knife is a K-Bar

View attachment 174934
Both very very nice. My buddy has the Benchmade and his son (who is now an Army Ranger) has the K-Bar.

I thought Spyderco knives opened smoothly until I tried my buddy's Benchmade. Wow. I still cant justify the price, but...wow.