Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
Hey all, looking to add a radio for the rig, not really set on any type, but trying to figure out where most in the industry are going? I would have assumed that CB was the old standby but now i'm seeing things like VHF, MURS, Sattelite coms, Mesh networks etc. Is it worth it going the CB route or are most switching over to VHF or something else? I don't have a good core of local offroading folks i head out with so trying to make sure i have something compatible when i travel for meetups and such.

Stormcrow

Rank IV

Traveler III

Houston, TX
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Bleakley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5DSB
I’d say go with GMRS at a minimum, ham if you can. Most large clubs I’ve seen are moving their requirement from a CB to a GMRS - Jeep Jamboree has partnered with Midland and in 2021 all rigs at their events will have to have a GMRS radio instead of a CB. That being said, a good vhf/uhf dual band ham radio will serve you better than GMRS if you ever need to call for help.

Reactions: M Rose and TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I always push for GMRS if you aren't interested in the test and Ham if you are willing to test and might be interested in increased capabilities.

Remember GMRS covers the whole household and Ham is individually licensed.

Reactions: Downs

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
First question. What do the people you go out with have? If they all have one service and you install another that doesn't do you a whole lot of good.

Another options is to run multiple radios. I run a HAM, GMRS and CB. The place where I have my CB installed is setup to be able to quickly change radios and antennas as needed. One antenna on each fender on an NMO mount. I can swap out the radio and antenna in under 5 minutes.

If I didn't want to test and wanted a radio service that my whole family could use if need be I'd go GMRS. It'll meet the needs of 99 percent of the people out there that don't want to go any deeper into radio communications than local short range and county wide (assuming you have a repeater nearby) communications.

HAM is great and is the most flexible but is overkill for what most of the "overlanding" community want or need to do with a radio and if you fall into the rabbit hole can be quite expensive if you let it get that way haha.

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
Thanks gang. Don't really feel like going down the HAM route as i have enough on my plate as it is. Looks like GMRS is the way to go. Saw a few Midland options that i liked.

Reactions: TerryD