Rank II

Enthusiast I

UK
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Hooper
Member #

I am just starting out on my overlanding journey at 50ish (never too young eh) and after many years of camping am looking for some guidance on which way to go and hopefully not do the - ‘buy, use once, then sell’ too much.

In terms of type of trip - either a couple of days at a location or most likely a point to point tour where you are moving every day in UK or Europe so the weather can be temperamental.

Firstly, I purchased a side awning earlier this year but as my vehicle has a swing out rear door where I have a table and prep area I am going to change this for a 270 awning in the new year so this area is covered and I will also get tapered walls to create side shelter or a ‘tent’ depending on the weather (think UK or Europe). On my last trip I also slept in the car but don’t really want to do this unless really necessary. This is the setup I currently have, the tent you see was my co-driver's.

rear view.png

My uncertainty is based around how and where to sleep with the 270 awning. I would like setup / tear down to be as easy as possible if it’s just me as well as being flexible enough if my wife comes along as well if I can get her to catch the bug. The car is my daily driver and has to be remain adaptable so do not want a RTT (also have no where to store it)

Options are:

1: 2 man tent - (which I have already)
2: Swag - 2 man? Only seen these in pictures and not sure how suitable for UK wet/ cold weather unless under the awning if it fits.
3: An Oztent - or is this the goal if my wife is a regular...
4: any other Alternatives....

If by myself I will probably be on a cot.

Yes I have looked at many posts but you can’t beat real world experience and advice.

Many Thanks

Enthusiast III

South Dayton, NY, USA
First Name
Ronald
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Service Branch
USMC 85'-89'
I am just starting out on my overlanding journey at 50ish (never too young eh) and after many years of camping am looking for some guidance on which way to go and hopefully not do the - ‘buy, use once, then sell’ too much.

In terms of type of trip - either a couple of days at a location or most likely a point to point tour where you are moving every day in UK or Europe so the weather can be temperamental.

Firstly, I purchased a side awning earlier this year but as my vehicle has a swing out rear door where I have a table and prep area I am going to change this for a 270 awning in the new year so this area is covered and I will also get tapered walls to create side shelter or a ‘tent’ depending on the weather (think UK or Europe). On my last trip I also slept in the car but don’t really want to do this unless really necessary. This is the setup I currently have, the tent you see was my co-driver's.

View attachment 179182

My uncertainty is based around how and where to sleep with the 270 awning. I would like setup / tear down to be as easy as possible if it’s just me as well as being flexible enough if my wife comes along as well if I can get her to catch the bug. The car is my daily driver and has to be remain adaptable so do not want a RTT (also have no where to store it)

Options are:

1: 2 man tent - (which I have already)
2: Swag - 2 man? Only seen these in pictures and not sure how suitable for UK wet/ cold weather unless under the awning if it fits.
3: An Oztent - or is this the goal if my wife is a regular...
4: any other Alternatives....

If by myself I will probably be on a cot.

Yes I have looked at many posts but you can’t beat real world experience and advice.

Many Thanks
Why not use a Roof top tent?? Can still have the 270 awning to keep cooking area dry. Much easier to use than any other tent, more comfortable with the real mattress and warmer too.

df150

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canada
First Name
Denis
Last Name
G
Member #

Swag (we have crashpad brand) will be fine in cold/wet weather, we slept in it twice so far this winter in -3 C and -18 C, under the tarp/awning and it was good, no problems

Attachments

before going overboard on equipment purchases, maybe try a enclosed room for your existing awning. That makes for a huge tent/lounge area out of bugs and weather.
ARB and Ironman have such enclosures for a minimal investment. They offer a lot of flexibility, and comparatively a lot of private room- maybe a key feature in swaying the wife to join.

Maybe if you are going 270 awning, look for one that offers an enclosed room option?
A second, short awning over the tailgate/door is an option, though certainly more a faff to setup two awnings than a 270 one. But, maybe an option.

FWIW, i've gone through many variations from tents, rooftop tents(Maggiolina), in-truck sleeping and after a couple decades, ended up with a very similar setup to what you have.

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
My opinion is, if you are going with a 270, and walls, why do you need a tent? Throw down a ground cloth and sleep on your sleeping pad as normal.
otherwise I would go with a RTT.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I'd keep what you have and pull a tarp to cover the rear hatch.

Put a swag in that area created by the side wall and awning and you're golden.

I really, really like the batwings, but what you've got going there looks pretty usable as it is.