Where do you store your food, Is it safe to store it in the car?

• HTML tutorial

Influencer II

Hello all,

As a backpacker, I've always had the mindset to carry light weight foods such as dehydrated foods, or non-perishable(canned) goods. Perishable goods depending on the trip. Nonetheless, put them quite far away from you while at camp. Now that i've come into the overland scene a little, I've noticed that some overlander's have fridges in the car and often carry perishable foods that put together a delicious meal that I couldn't even imagine while backpacking....

But, is it even safe to leave food in the car? My only worry is if you have wild animals, like a bear, come and smell these foods, they'll try to go through your things and damage your car while they're at it.

Thanks!

krax

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

NC
Member #

I store food in the vehicle, but I don't cook directly out of the back so I'm not too worried about the scents. I keep my key fob nearby when I go to sleep. My theory is that if an animal is curious about the vehicle, a sudden noise/light from it would discourage the animal. Probably less effective on bears that are used to people.

I do hang a bear bag when backpacking.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

Very safe to leave the food in vehicle.

Having said that precautions still need to be made. Seal food in the cooler, in bags and dry boxes etc. Don't leave a dirty camp. Don't dump your food leavings around camp and don't dump dish soap, toothpaste etc close to sleeping quarters and they'll leave you alone.

Leave your garbage around camp and yogi will be sniffing around looking for more. He may smell the things in the car and be curious but it's unlikely.

If he starts knocking on the window you should have time to at least shine your flashlight in his eyes before he gets in. :-)

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

How about with pick up beds? My RTT will be above the bed of the truck. I'm thinking I should move the cooler from the bed and either throw it in the back seat or slide it under the truck. I'm not sure which is best yet. I will be in grizzly territory this summer.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

krax

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

NC
Member #

I'd be more concerned with dry goods and any garbage from cooking than things that are sealed inside a fridge or cooler, but if you've got room inside the cab, why not?

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

How about with pick up beds? My RTT will be above the bed of the truck. I'm thinking I should move the cooler from the bed and either throw it in the back seat or slide it under the truck. I'm not sure which is best yet. I will be in grizzly territory this summer.
That's exactly my configuration. Rtt above the truck bed. Don't put the cooler or anything food related under the truck (it's fine while you're in camp). Put it either in the bed of the truck or in the cab. I put mine in the bed for convenience.

CDN Offroader

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

St. Albert, AB, Canada
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Houghtaling
Member #

Grizzlies are different. Some hunters I know had the camper torn off their truck by a grizzly who was after their moose. Definitely take full bear precautions in grizzly country.

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

Small Cooler (beer...lol)...larger cooler (meats , milk, bread etc) and larger "kitchen box" frying pan, kettle, chopping board and all the related food prep needs....
That's a nice daytime setup while you're in camp. Looks good.

At night of course, I'd suggest you slide the food boxes/coolers and anything cooking related into the car for safety.

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

This thread just went in a hilarious direction. Wonder what they expect in my Coleman extreme cooler with no fancy latches or locks...

Reactions: GrahamHolmes