Pittsburgh
First Name
Greg
Last Name
StClair
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXQ724
I've always dumped my water in a fire pit, or used paper towels to clean and put in my trash. Is there a better way? What do you do?

BDO

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
I try my best to keep it near the kitchen table...although a difficult task most of the time ;-)Screenshot_20230519-110109_Gallery.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: John Bishop

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

When in a campground I usually toss it about 10-15 feet out into the woods around camp ( most of the time bears aren't an issue in the campgrounds we visit so you may get a racoon at night but that's about it).
When off grid I am usually near water so I either do the dishes in the water a bit away from camp or I toss the water into the woods similar to campgrounds just further out.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I wipe my dishes until they are spotless before utilizing a small amount of water and soap to sanitize. With two of us, I usually end up with about 1 cup of water that gets diluted with clean rinse water. In the end I have 2 cups of dishwater that needs to be disposed. The water doesn't have food particles in it and the soap content is nil. I usually toss it in the trees far from a water source. If I am at an actual campground I follow their protocol. I have given some thought about a small container to take dishwater back home (or to a bathroom) with me, but haven't followed through as I need to learn about 'black tank' maintenance.

Reactions: bear_den_overland

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I wipe my dishes until they are spotless before utilizing a small amount of water and soap to sanitize. With two of us, I usually end up with about 1 cup of water that gets diluted with clean rinse water. In the end I have 2 cups of dishwater that needs to be disposed. The water doesn't have food particles in it and the soap content is nil. I usually toss it in the trees far from a water source. If I am at an actual campground I follow their protocol. I have given some thought about a small container to take dishwater back home (or to a bathroom) with me, but haven't followed through as I need to learn about 'black tank' maintenance.
Dishwater is gray water, not black water. Big difference.

Reactions: ZombieCat

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I use a hand held pump spray bottle to wash my dishes. It's filled with water and a small amount of dish detergent. Paper plates and bowls go in the fire and everything else gets wiped down with paper towels immediately before the "scraps" dry. It's easy to spray and wipe them down with paper towels after that. The paper towels barely get wet and end up in the fire as well. I don't pack a wash tub, brushes, towels, etc.

Reactions: Vickycc_3ef47a

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

When bears are not an issue, gray water is dispersed onto the ground outside of camp, so as not to attract rodents or insects.
When in campgrounds, I follow the protocol, particularly in grizzly country. Boondocking in grizzly or other bear heavy locations, I dump onto the ground, but much further from camp.
Please, never wash your dishes in a stream or lake; this adds harmful contaminants to the water which may result in the death of aquatic life. Also remember that others may be using that water (filtered, but that won’t remove all the soap) to drink or in cooking. Bring a collapsible bucket and draw water to use in washing both your dishes and self.
If you burn your used paper plates, keep in mind that bears have incredible olfactory senses and may still smell the food scraps you burned, especially if they were damp and don’t burn down to fine ash. From the National Institute of Environmental Health:
“Bears are thought to have the best sense of smell of any animal on earth. For example, the average dog's sense of smell is 100 times better than a human's. A blood hound's is 300 times better. A bear's sense of smell is 7 times better than a blood hound's or 2,100 times better than a human's.”
Yikes!

• Wow
Reactions: NMNomad

oldsoldier181

Rank IV

Influencer II

Ayer, Massachusetts, United States
First Name
William
Last Name
reed
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1WTR
Service Branch
Army
In campgrounds, I dump it into the fire pit. Boondocking, I throw it into the woods. I use the CVS version of Dr Bronner's soap, for everything, so its biodegradeable. And, the food bits-well, it is what it is. Most gets scraped into the trash, but its inevitable some makes it into the woods. Certainly not enough to make critters dependent, and we dont have grizzlies in New England, and the only aggressive bears we hear about, are the ones that wander into town and lose their inhibitions toward humans. My several encounters with black bears in the back woods, has had them running away faster than I could identify what they were, lol.

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Man, am I really going to be the only one to say I don't wash my dishes? I just wipe them with a paper towel and obviously towel and crumbs go in the trash bag. Plate will be just fine. I wash it for real at home.

Reactions: oldsoldier181

oldsoldier181

Rank IV

Influencer II

Ayer, Massachusetts, United States
First Name
William
Last Name
reed
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1WTR
Service Branch
Army
Man, am I really going to be the only one to say I don't wash my dishes? I just wipe them with a paper towel and obviously towel and crumbs go in the trash bag. Plate will be just fine. I wash it for real at home.
This is one of the reasons everything I use is stainless steel. Worst case, I can toss everything into boiling water, and call it a day.

Reactions: NMNomad and Ethan N