Potsdam, NY, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Searles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2SOC
Does anyone have any leads on a currently in stock maxtrax seller? Safety orange color only. A few odd ball places have the uncommon colors. Looking to order 4. Thanks!

Reactions: Tonys Willys

Tonys Willys

Rank I

Member I

Cape Coral, FL, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Laucevicius
Member #

I looked at buying those but the cost pushed me away, and I found something I prefer over maxtrax. GoTreads, I'll paste a link below. Take a look and see what you think. I live in Florida so getting stuck in the sand happens....a lot. lol

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Must they be "Maxtrax" branded? I know you can get the same thing at significantly lower cost from places like eBay. They are just as good, but won't have the name.

Reactions: JSearles562

JSearles562

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Potsdam, NY, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Searles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2SOC
Must they be "Maxtrax" branded? I know you can get the same thing at significantly lower cost from places like eBay. They are just as good, but won't have the name.
Yeah, Im actually looking to upgrade from a pair of xbull traction boards that split on first use and faded within a year. I know theyre expensive, but i think im going to get them anyways.

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

I looked at buying those but the cost pushed me away, and I found something I prefer over maxtrax. GoTreads, I'll paste a link below. Take a look and see what you think. I live in Florida so getting stuck in the sand happens....a lot. lol
Those look pretty slick and I like to see where they are made.

Reactions: Tonys Willys

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Does anyone have any leads on a currently in stock maxtrax seller? Safety orange color only. A few odd ball places have the uncommon colors. Looking to order 4. Thanks!
I did a little searching and most are out of stock, like you say. Because of that, I'd be careful at ordering from vendors that do not state current stock; you may pay for it then find there's a 4-6 week or longer back order. Might be worth inquiring before laying down the dineros.

These places have them, but two do not say whether they're in stock or not:

- Adventuron
- OK4WD - generally a big dealer in all sorts of off-road and adventure gear, so they may actually have some
- Off Road Warehouse - their Check Stock pop up says they have them in stock at four locations:
maxtrax-2021-06-04 at 22.29.34.png

I have a pair of orange and a pair of black maxtrax and can vouch that the "engineering grade fiber-reinforced nylon" is more durable, and will return to shape better, than a lot of the imitation traction boards.

Here's an interesting vid comparing Maxtrax and X-Bull traction boards from Seek Adventure, who has done a bunch of interesting recovery and adventure vids on his channel.

I'll let everyone draw their own conclusions from the testing and results in this vid, though what I take away from it is:

- that Maxtrax won't fail or get fatigue marks (weakened spots then more prone to premature failure) anywhere near as quickly.
- that it depends on how often you use them and how often you go out in situations where they may make the difference. His orange Maxtrax, he said, have been used hard for four to six years and have just gotten their first crack, where the X-Bull couldn't take the beating as well on their first time out.

For adventurers who are out more than not, it's worth getting better quality boards because they will consistently perform better and last far longer. If you go out a couple times a year and aren't in recovery or bridging situations as much, or are after mostly the look, the lesser quality boards will do just fine and save you some pesos.

The stacking difference is huge, too. I can store my four maxtrax in an inexpensive rifle case. From the looks of it, I'd have a hard time stuffing two X-Bull traction boards in there. It's not worth it to me, to leave mine strapped and exposed all year 'round, as they will fade (you can see the difference between his 4 and 6 yr old maxtrax in te beginning of the vid) and endless direct sun will eventually degrade and weaken the board material. They're also more of a target for theft that way.

traction-boards-rifle-case_6819-900.jpeg
traction-boards-rifle-case__6821-900.jpeg

If looking for similar cases for your boards, double check the inside measurements against the length, width, and height of your boards when stacked. Rifle cases come in different lengths. I removed the bottom padding to accomodate four maxtrax, though the length and width was just right.

Good luck, hope you find some!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tundracamper

nuclear_runner

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Arlington, VA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Duvall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4DZZ
It's a good topic to discuss. I used my xbulls 2 times after getting stuck in snow. They worked well but I'm sure the brand name one is a better quality. It's just that I can buy 7 sets of the cheaper ones for the cost of one maxtrax.
He said they failed after one use, and Maxtrax are still significantly cheaper than a recovery crew. There are a couple of other good brands like ARB or Smittybilt if you wanted to look outside of Maxtrax but they'll all cost you. Personally I would not cut corners on recovery gear.

BigBlueOx_TRD

Rank VII
Investor

World Traveler III

East Bend
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04ACI
I can speak for the GoTreads & their Warranty, FANTASTIC!

Also, we have MaxTrax and they have recovered several vehicles and a UTV. Great product and have been mounted on top of our T4R for 3 years with no fading, no cracks.

Showing OOS but I did check Asheville Vehicle Outfitters & Apex Overland

Currently showing in Stock and orange, as requested, is CaliRaised Offroad for 299.99

JSearles562

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Potsdam, NY, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Searles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2SOC
It's a good topic to discuss. I used my xbulls 2 times after getting stuck in snow. They worked well but I'm sure the brand name one is a better quality. It's just that I can buy 7 sets of the cheaper ones for the cost of one maxtrax.

I completely agree with you, and thats still a very valid rationale. the biggest reason im looking to switch to maxtrax is for the space savings. I would like to have 4 boards and i can store 4 maxtrax in the space of 2 xbull. The xbull worked alright for me. But im looking to invest in something that will probably outlast my current vehicle

Reactions: Jdsint

BigBlueOx_TRD

Rank VII
Investor

World Traveler III

East Bend
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04ACI
I agree you can buy 7 for the cost of 1 set of MaxTrax, but you can't buy them when yours are broke and you're stuck.

I've learned sometimes, like on recovery gear, it's a good idea to just "buy once, cry once" - instead of 7 times.

jwestbury

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Washington, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Westbury
Member #

In response to the original question: I ordered a set from Offroad Warehouse last week, via their website, and received them yesterday. Looks like they ship directly out of their stores, so if they're in stock in at least one store, you should be able to order online and get them.

wilderness4wd

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Tennessee, USA
First Name
Wilderness
Last Name
4WD