First Name
Liana
Last Name
Lehua
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6WH
How critical is wheel size?

I have stock Subaru 18” wheels with Sumitomo 225/60R18 tires on my 2015 Outback. I’d like to get a lift kit and be able to push my off-roading to be able to drive as safely but aggressively as possible.

Do I need to go to 17’s or some other size?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Theoretician

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tijeras, NM
Member #

Need is a strong word. There is definite benefit to having as much sidewall as possible, and tires tend to be cheaper in 17in sizes than in 18in sizes, but it'd be a long time before that cost differential bore fruit in excess of the cost of buying new wheels.

If you're considering changing wheels, you should do some research specific to your model. I think that most subarus can mount 15 or 16in wheels, which could open up some of the more unique options like 235/85 tires.

Hit google for "battlewagons" for more ideas.

FJ81

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
Member #

You need to do the model specific research as to what changes your current vehicle can accept, and what support modifications will be needed to do it and maintain reliability and safety. With that information, you can narrow down the tire sizes or dimensions you can run. More sidewall will get you a softer ride off road, and also keep your rim just a bit higher away from the rock and obstacles. Certain sizes have more wheel and tire options. I think the OB youtube channel had a walkaround of a lifted subaru.

Liana Lehua

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California, CA, USA
First Name
Liana
Last Name
Lehua
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6WH
Need is a strong word. There is definite benefit to having as much sidewall as possible, and tires tend to be cheaper in 17in sizes than in 18in sizes, but it'd be a long time before that cost differential bore fruit in excess of the cost of buying new wheels.

If you're considering changing wheels, you should do some research specific to your model. I think that most subarus can mount 15 or 16in wheels, which could open up some of the more unique options like 235/85 tires.

Thank you so much. Very helpful. I’ll continue my research. I appreciate your input.

Liana Lehua

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Liana
Last Name
Lehua
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6WH
You need to do the model specific research as to what changes your current vehicle can accept, and what support modifications will be needed to do it and maintain reliability and safety. With that information, you can narrow down the tire sizes or dimensions you can run. More sidewall will get you a softer ride off road, and also keep your rim just a bit higher away from the rock and obstacles. Certain sizes have more wheel and tire options. I think the OB youtube channel had a walkaround of a lifted subaru.

Reactions: FJ81

Liana Lehua

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Liana
Last Name
Lehua
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6WH
Great info. Thank you so much for your info.

Reactions: FJ81

Grammin

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Toronto
Hi there,

Check out my YouTube. I put k02s on my 16 Outback. Went down to 17. I think this is the minimum. But kept stock diameter. 225 65 17. Noisy and heavy but good offroad for a Subaru. Some guys are running 245 once they lift. I have not lifted mine.

YouTube.com/c/grammin4x4overland

Cheers,

Graham

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Angry Santa

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Highland, CA
Member #

Hi there,

Check out my YouTube. I put k02s on my 16 Outback. Went down to 17. I think this is the minimum. But kept stock diameter. 225 65 17. Noisy and heavy but good offroad for a Subaru. Some guys are running 245 once they lift. I have not lifted mine.

Cheers,

Graham

Those are some pretty mean looking tires you have on your Subie!

Reactions: Liana Lehua

Grammin

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Toronto
I have k02s on my discovery as well only they are much quieter. Bit annoyed about the noise on the subaru as they look and perform amazing[emoji592]

Sent from my LG-H873 using OB Talk mobile app

Liana Lehua

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Liana
Last Name
Lehua
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6WH
Hi there,

Cheers,

Graham

Thank you. I’m looking at 17’s. Mine came with 18’s (bought used). I haven’t had issues but haven’t run in to any serious issues with them yet.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
My Outback came with 17's and I run stock size 225-65 R17 BFG AT KO2's and so far with about 8,000 miles on them have no problem. Heavier, yes; noisier than stock, a little; good traction on and off-road, yes. I know of people running larger tires with the same lift I have but I am happy with them. If your not into much off-road, don't need the aggressive tread, need the extreme snow rating and more on-road oriented look at the Yokohama GO 15's, I hear they are a very good tire for on and off road. I have read good reviews on these.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
If you think you may ever upgrade your brakes you might consider keeping the 18” rims depending on the stock sized brakes. Just one additional thing to consider.

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

If you were to a pull-a-part type yard you could get factory 16" or 17" rims dead cheap. The other thing this would do is allow you to mount the wheel on site to check clearances.
Bill 9810

Reactions: Terry Pickens