Contributor III

Neptune City, NJ, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Mennuti
Member #

Hello,
I am extremely new to overlanding and this forum. When I bought my truck used it came with some crazy wide wheels and tires and they stick out way to far from the body. I was just curious what kind of wheel and tires setups people were running on here?

Cheers,
Dave

Reactions: Yorkshire Viking

Cascadia

Rank V

Educator II

Golden
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Blac
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VRZ
On my Outback, my wheel and tire setup consists of Method 502 wheels and Nitto Nomad Grapplers.

20231001_100807.jpg

Reactions: DaveMnn

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
OEM wheels and Falken Wildpeaks on everything except the Samurai. The Wildpeaks are outstanding!

1705430905222.png
1705430945379.png
1705431006663.png
The Samurai still has Wildpeaks but it's on a set of soft 8 steel wheels.
1705431141851.png

Reactions: DaveMnn

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
What you'll find is most people who actually use their vehicle for this hobby keep the rim size close to stock width, with the exception being, the guys who do more hard core driving. Tire size is normally stock or a few size's taller. If you want even taller tires, odd's are your lifting the vehicle. My Tacoma with stock rims, slightly taller then stock tires and a small lift, will go most places I want to go. My Cruiser is lifted with 35's, soon to be 37's. That build is for a diffrent purpose.

Reactions: Alanymarce

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
What you'll find is most people who actually use their vehicle for this hobby keep the rim size close to stock width, with the exception being, the guys who do more hard core driving. Tire size is normally stock or a few size's taller. If you want even taller tires, odd's are your lifting the vehicle. My Tacoma with stock rims, slightly taller then stock tires and a small lift, will go most places I want to go. My Cruiser is lifted with 35's, soon to be 37's. That build is for a diffrent purpose.
As always, it depends on what you're doing with the vehicle. In our case it's a means of getting to places we want to visit; reliability is important, access to spares and maintenance are critical - we've had to wait for 3 days in Bolivia for AT tyres, and they were standard size - nothing out of the ordinary. FInding AT tyres in Brazil took 80 emails/phone calls and we finally found them in a city a couple of weeks away... once again nothing out of the ordinary. If we had been looking for unusual sizes we'd have taken weeks not days.

So, our vehicles:

2006-2015 - 2 x X-Trails (T30 and T31) - standard rims, slightly oversized tyres on the T31
2015-date - Montero - standard rims and tyres
2017-2018 - LC80 - standard rims and tyres
2022-2023 - Wrangler JK - standard rims and tyres.

Total distance on the "big trips" - 192,267 km in 1169 days.

Reactions: smritte

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Method HD.

18x9 +18. (So they don't stick out like a flatbiller)

35x12.5 Kenda RT. Sitting in garage. Will put on soon.

Reactions: Dougnuts