What's your MPG (fuel economy) on the road.

• HTML tutorial

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

Oof... On long highway stretches (of which there are not many in New Zealand) I can see 20MPG if I am really good with my right foot. But, mostly ~14MPG around town.

Reactions: JCWages

19mystic96

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pacifica, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
M
I’m consistently about 10mpg combined with my raptor on the road with no gear. With a 26gal tank I get a little wary while being on trails for a long time. Especially slow moving Stuff mixed in with fast paced off roading. I carry extra fuel cans to keep my mind at peace even if I won’t be out for a long time

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

My Silverado with 33's (305x55) 6.2L stock gears loaded with camping gear riding the highway I get 17 - 18 mpg

ADVTouring

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Great Smoky Mountains, United States
First Name
Damien
Last Name
Meredith
Member #

Friend of mine always says this about his rig; "If she's squattin' she's earning it!'
My 15 Forester with 29' KO2's, Front runner roof rack , Primitive skid plates and the 4 foot fire fly CB antenna swinging in the breeze loaded to the point it tucks the rear tires a bit, firewood and all will still get 23 mpg at 75mph. A bit better if I slow it down some.

Technically 'Unloaded' although I still keep a lot of gear on hand always and the rack stays. I can see 28-29 mpg. People try and dog the CVT transmissions but I love the fuel milage I can see with mine.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

When she’s happy and reasonably loaded 16-17mpg. Recently had an ECT sensor fail and drop that to 13mpg for a tank! [emoji35]

mtnlove

Rank 0

Contributor I

On a Rocky Mountain High
First Name
First
Last Name
Last
Rough calculation (divide miles on trip odo by total gallons I put in the take at fill up) for my 92 Landcruiser on 33's as 11.2mpg. I drive the automatic like a manual to be able to get my 0-60 distance to less than 2 miles so that probably has an effect :sunglasses:

Reactions: ADVTouring

Teh_Viking

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ventura Ca
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Roosendahl
Member #

Teh_Viking what work have you done to the engine? What speed do you run?

Best I can work out of our 99 7.3 is 14.5mpg. I run 33's and have 4:10 gears. I which the tach and not the speedo - truck likes 1,900 to 2,200 rpm.

Pretty sure we lose some maybe 1.5 to 2mpg due to the lift kit, roof rack and awnings we have on the truck.
Nothing major done to the engine, just the normal stuff, better air filter, bigger downpipe, PHP Hydra chip.

With the new 37 toyo MT i prolly lost a little more compared to the old AT's , they are heavy.

I try to cruise at around 1850 rpm to 1900 Which is about 71 mph

Reactions: Daryl 32

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

2017 colorado z71 2.8 duramax, 3" lift 33" tires air dam removed long ago, snorkeled. i get between 20 and 25mpg on the highway around 17 mpg on side streets. The best ive ever had was 30 mpg on a trip to indianapolis.

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
07 Ford ranger scab - 4.10, 5 speed, 3.0l Vulcan. Best I've gotten so far was 22mpg, almost all highway.

Which for the ranger is spot on what they say it should. Not great, but good enough.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

07 Ford ranger scab - 4.10, 5 speed, 3.0l Vulcan. Best I've gotten so far was 22mpg, almost all highway.

Which for the ranger is spot on what they say it should. Not great, but good enough.
That mileage must be from being a manual or your driving style. I have a 02, 3.0l ranger with 4 speed auto & od, 12k miles on the odometer i can get between 15 and 17. I obviously dont drive it very often but when i do my foot is to the floor.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I drove my Willys Traveler (EX Border Patrol) from the Port of entry in Naco, AZ/Mexico to the Port of entry at Sweet Grass MT/Coutts, AB, CA and back. On the freeways I averaged 70-75 MPH on secondary roads 60-70 MPH. It was a great trip and I enjoyed the drive and people I met. All in all it was about 4600 miles, the old Willys ran like a top the whole trip.

My Willys has a 350 Chevy, 33" tires and 4:88 gears, on the freeway I was getting 16-17 MPG hand calculated and 16 or so on secondary roads. Around town if I can keep my foot out of it I get 13-14, if I'm getting on it somewhere around 7-9. :sunglasses:

After I put the engine/trans/xfer case in and decided on using 33" tires I took it to a guy that had a speedometer repair/calibration shop. Since all my powertrain was Chevy he had the transmission gears needed to make my speedo accurate. I got clocked at 80 going through WY and the speedo said 81-82, I'm happy with that. No ticket, all the WY Trooper wanted to do was have a look at it. On my way into UT I pegged the speedo at 92 and in an old Willys that's really flying, now I just run 70-75.

Last edited:

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
14ish MPG combined on my largely stock XJ. OUt of 4 XJs this one has gotten the worst fuel mileage.

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
1993 80 series Landcruiser - 20-26 MPG
30 gallons water
5 gallos additional diesel
295 x 75R16. (33.4” tires)
Stock axles/OEM lockers
1HDFT turbo diesel/ H151 5 speed manual/ part time

Last edited:
Reactions: 94Cruiser

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
That mileage must be from being a manual or your driving style. I have a 02, 3.0l ranger with 4 speed auto & od, 12k miles on the odometer i can get between 15 and 17. I obviously dont drive it very often but when i do my foot is to the floor.
Correct, it is the 5sp manual. The 3.0L Auto 4x4 was well known for having the worst fuel economy.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Loaded down for off-road camping trips I average 18-21mpg (per tank) getting to the trail. Around town and trail driving it drops considerably and I may only get 14-16mpg per tank. Daily driving average is 16-18mpg.

I have stock 3.42 gears and heavy 33" tires so I often don't get into my top 2 gears (7th and 8th) when driving 70mph+ loaded down.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
18 to 22 on the highway in the jeep most of the time. 15-18 around town and uh, really bad in stop n go traffic. Going from 33s and 3.21 gears to 35's and 4.56 gears didn't do a whole lot to my fuel usage.

Our truck picked up a couple MPG when we went to 33's on it, from like 15 to 17, but it'll get close to 22 on the highway if you keep your foot out of it or like, under 80.

Reactions: JCWages

gungriffin

Rank 0

Contributor I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
K
I have a 1999 Land Cruiser. Supercharged with 4.88s F/R steel bumpers and steel skids on 285/75R17 Toyo ATIIs. I keep most of my junk in the truck most of the time. The numbers biggest killer that I have found for my MPG is speed. The happy place for my truck is 45-65 MPH. Going consistently 65 in the mountains on I70 is good for around 14. Going consistently about 85 is about ~11.5-12. Around town gets me about 11-12, but it can drop quickly with heavy go pedal use.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Jeep TJR
With 33s I got a best of 17mpg. Averaging closer to 15mpg.
I changed to 7.50R16s, tall, skinny, light, I now get 22mpg. 18 towing a trailer.

From stock I went to 33s then 35s adding lifts as I went and getting worse mileage with every "mod or what some call upgrade"
Last year I removed the lift and went the pizza cutter route, I've never had better mileage, I'll never go back to bigger tires.
And I have not lost any capability for a Jeep running forestry roads in the mountains. Beyond the increase in range of 95miles I've never had a smoother ride nor a better highway tire. Reminds me of my F250s from the 1970s which came stock with 7.50R16s on split rims. I wish more than Yokohama made them. Be nice if there was a choice.

Reactions: Downs