What's the most ridiculous part of your kit?

• HTML tutorial

Pi_Baker

Rank II

Advocate II

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Alix
Last Name
Penning
So, I recently backed a kickstarter for a portable hand-cranked single-outfit washing machine. It's a durable plastic rotary tub style agitator, and a drying drum. It washes and dries a drum load in five minutes. No electric parts, just spinning plastic with a hand crank. It's about a foot and a half on each side, cubed. So it fits in our kit totes.

And of course, this means I had a discussion with @rho about adding it to the Overlanding Kit.

Because what if someone explodes from both ends while we're out in the forest somewhere? Because what if we just need to wash all the blood out of a pair of pants? Because what if I only brought one hoodie but it got covered in mud and then also honey and we're heading to the desert and we really want to get it all out before I attract ANOTHER hive of bees?

...Because what if we decide we're going to need a longer vacation?

I can justify it a million ways (finding justification and rationalization of purchases is literally my job) but I think it really comes down to "it's ridiculous and I love it and it fits in a roughneck. It's coming with me."

So, in honor of my ridiculous decision, I want to know: what's the most ridiculous part of YOUR kit?

Is there a special smore's stick that heats the marshmallow from the inside as it toasts? A mini creme brulee torch? What's the thing people look at and say "really?" for you?

Reactions: Sparksalot and rho

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
It could be the rubber ducki, but most likely the light bar behind him.

for camping emergencies don’t ya know. 0B3E84BD-CA96-453C-B8A5-62CE49B62038.jpeg

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

The snatch block & 20K# tree saver in 10 years I have never needed it, my overland unit weighs 7000#, It's going in the garage sale this weekend.

It is definitely ridiculous to carry it.

DSCN2431.jpeg

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign