What's in your trunk

• HTML tutorial

3ilnouri

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kuwait
Member #

I would like from the OB community to help each other out:

1. what the most important things that you keep in your trunk that never leave.
2. what do you keep thier that's always thier in camping season. "if it not year round"
3. what gear are most helpful and recommend to your fellow OB members.

pic are always welcome

Sent from my E6833 using OB Talk mobile app

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

There's a lot of junk in my trunk. :laughing:

In seriousness:
  1. The following never leaves the Jeep:
    Compact Harbor Freight ~50 piece socket set, extra fleece blanket (just in case).
    Tool bag with a bunch of miscellaneous tools for my Jeep: mechanic's gloves, tire gauge, good ratchet straps x2, paracord, extra work gloves, poncho, glow sticks, baling wire, electrical tape, multi-meter. Assorted pieces (extra D-clips for sway bar, extra hitch pin clip, adjustable hose clamps, screws & bolts). Wire cutters, channel lock, linesman, needle-nose and regular pliers. Box cutter, screwdrivers, multi-purpose screwdriver with Torx bits and extensions, adjustable crescent wrenches x3, SAE wrenches, SAE & metric dog bone wrenches, 3/8" drive T-handle, extra 3/8" drive ratchet, universal socket, 3/8" drive short extension w/universal impact adapters.
    Backpack with recovery equipment in it: recovery strap, rubber mallet, tree strap, clevis x2, axle strap, rear recovery point with extra hitch pin, tire repair/sealant, tarp, sheet, safety glasses & dust masks, TP, bungee cords x4, tie down straps x2, folding shovel. Tire deflaters.
  2. Non-year-round items include: ice scraper, tire chains and chain tensioners.
  3. Basic toolset, IMO, has been the most helpful. Basic tools and some know-how will allow you to perform a ton of maintenance/repairs without a full garage. Sometimes, when starting a project on my Jeep, I'll use the tools that are already in the vehicle and see if I can perform the entire task without my larger, master toolkit (e.g. I just did then when replacing my transmission mount last month). You'd be surprised, a few screwdrivers, pliers, basic sockets, etc. will take you a long way.
I will admit, half of what I keep in my Jeep I've never used and could probably do away with (e.g. never used the paracord, poncho, glow sticks, hose clamps, dog bone wrenches, T-handle, adjustable crescent wrenches, etc. in all of my adventures). That being said, it's not like the above takes up that much space - I can fit it all in the tailgate so I don't even notice it.

3ilnouri

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kuwait
Member #

There's a lot of junk in my trunk. :laughing:

In seriousness:
  1. The following never leaves the Jeep:
    Compact Harbor Freight ~50 piece socket set, extra fleece blanket (just in case).
    Tool bag with a bunch of miscellaneous tools for my Jeep: mechanic's gloves, tire gauge, good ratchet straps x2, paracord, extra work gloves, poncho, glow sticks, baling wire, electrical tape, multi-meter. Assorted pieces (extra D-clips for sway bar, extra hitch pin clip, adjustable hose clamps, screws & bolts). Wire cutters, channel lock, linesman, needle-nose and regular pliers. Box cutter, screwdrivers, multi-purpose screwdriver with Torx bits and extensions, adjustable crescent wrenches x3, SAE wrenches, SAE & metric dog bone wrenches, 3/8" drive T-handle, extra 3/8" drive ratchet, universal socket, 3/8" drive short extension w/universal impact adapters.
    Backpack with recovery equipment in it: recovery strap, rubber mallet, tree strap, clevis x2, axle strap, rear recovery point with extra hitch pin, tire repair/sealant, tarp, sheet, safety glasses & dust masks, TP, bungee cords x4, tie down straps x2, folding shovel. Tire deflaters.
  2. Non-year-round items include: ice scraper, tire chains and chain tensioners.
  3. Basic toolset, IMO, has been the most helpful. Basic tools and some know-how will allow you to perform a ton of maintenance/repairs without a full garage. Sometimes, when starting a project on my Jeep, I'll use the tools that are already in the vehicle and see if I can perform the entire task without my larger, master toolkit (e.g. I just did then when replacing my transmission mount last month). You'd be surprised, a few screwdrivers, pliers, basic sockets, etc. will take you a long way.
I will admit, half of what I keep in my Jeep I've never used and could probably do away with (e.g. never used the paracord, poncho, glow sticks, hose clamps, dog bone wrenches, T-handle, adjustable crescent wrenches, etc. in all of my adventures). That being said, it's not like the above takes up that much space - I can fit it all in the tailgate so I don't even notice it.
I agree with what you say some of the things in our vehicles are there to keep us a piece of mind that if anything goes south we can fix our cars without help " this need basic know how" I use to have a tool Box in the car that got built over years then someone borrowed it and never got it back know I need to remember what I put in it to build another one.

Reactions: BobG

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
In the Xterra I have a rubber tire scotch block, ratchet straps, 2" receiver ball, jumper cables, IPDM relay, small collapsible bow saw, socket set, adjustable wrench and multi- bit screwdriver in the rear storage box. In the glove box I keep a tape measure, handkerchief, small pocket notebook and a couple pens. Then in the front door pocket I have a Pelican LED flashlight. Under the back seat is my high- lift jack and a small axe.

I have a 20mm ammo can that has a bigger socket set, basic hand tools, and some odds and ends I've collected over the years that I move between vehicles if we take longer trips. I need to get it into a more manageable sized container but it's pretty hefty. I need to add a spindle nut socket for the Xterra to it as well as some better wrenches.

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

Always in the rig (in no particular order):
E-Tool
Rolled up extra floor mat (used on the ground in case I need to do anything under the rig)
First Aid Kit
Socket Set
Wrench Set
Headlamp & Mag Light
Assorted shop towels
Too many bungees
Emergency water pouches
Emergency food bricks
Fire starter & matches
Gerber half-axe
Blankets
4-way tire iron
Jumper cables
Tire repair kit
Extinguisher
10x10 tarp
Dog bowl/extra leashes
Garbage bags
Maps
Folding saw
Hammer
Zip Ties
Gloves
Duct and gaff tape
Rope

I think I'm still forgetting a few things. Need to add a few screwdrivers, and a change of clothes. I may be carrying more than strictly necessary...

Ganja_Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Monroe, Wa
Member #

1. Always have my 3 day survival box. Already had to use it once.
2. I always keep a water purifier, flashlight, and knife. My AR-7 is amazing too.
3. An AR-7 is a collapsible .22 that is just about everything proof. I highly recommend one in any survival kit.

Sent from my SM-N910V using OB Talk mobile app

3ilnouri

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kuwait
Member #

Sadly it's like impossible to get guns here and it becoming more impossible to do so, as for flashlights 50 degrees c will ruin everything 2 of my ip68 flashlights are dead

timberwolf_120

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

Last edited:

3ilnouri

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kuwait
Member #

this is just a quick pic, straps, jumper cables, 6 ton bottle jack, d rings, tow hitch, various fluids, flashlights, a fully stocked toolbox (not pictured), viair compressor, also a small medikit.

hi lift jack under rear seat

first post on my build thread shows pics of my toolbox
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/war-machine-the-silver-01-jeep-wj.682/
Hmm did you say viair how's that running with you they look like very high quality stuff, what kind and how's it working?

BTW sweet setup.

timberwolf_120

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

Hmm did you say viair how's that running with you they look like very high quality stuff, what kind and how's it working?

BTW sweet setup.

its not bad, little slow really.
for example
I have 31.5s and go from 15-30 psi when I air up after a run,
and my buddy has 33s that he takes from 8-30 with his arb and it takes the same amount of time.
I have the 400p series one. eventually im either gonna get the dual arb one or just get a 3 gallon tank to have filled up so I can air up faster.

3ilnouri

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kuwait
Member #

its not bad, little slow really.
for example
I have 31.5s and go from 15-30 psi when I air up after a run,
and my buddy has 33s that he takes from 8-30 with his arb and it takes the same amount of time.
I have the 400p series one. eventually im either gonna get the dual arb one or just get a 3 gallon tank to have filled up so I can air up faster.
Well lucky you have space for an air tank my nissan GU is givening me a hard time, I've been thinking of where to mount an auxiliary battery for the past 2 months and I want it somewhere permanent and safe away from the little ones.

timberwolf_120

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

Well lucky you have space for an air tank my nissan GU is givening me a hard time, I've been thinking of where to mount an auxiliary battery for the past 2 months and I want it somewhere permanent and safe away from the little ones.

oh I never said id have space for the air tank lol I have no idea where id mount it or the compressor lol cause I don't want either one inside my rig, and it wont fit in my engine bay. but that's why im debating on the twin arb, because its still compact and would have more then enough air to not only engage lockers if I went with the air lockers and air up my tires, no idea where id mount it either lol so im ok with just the portable viair for now till I can figure that out. but its low on my list right now since I just bought a house lol

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
oh I never said id have space for the air tank lol I have no idea where id mount it or the compressor lol cause I don't want either one inside my rig, and it wont fit in my engine bay. but that's why im debating on the twin arb, because its still compact and would have more then enough air to not only engage lockers if I went with the air lockers and air up my tires, no idea where id mount it either lol so im ok with just the portable viair for now till I can figure that out. but its low on my list right now since I just bought a house lol
I don't know what kind of vehicle you have, but I've considered putting an air tank under my Xterra where the factory spare is now when I get a rear bumper with a tire carrier. There's also space behind the passenger side interior panel to mount a compressor and not intrude in the interior. Just a thought for you.

timberwolf_120

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

I don't know what kind of vehicle you have, but I've considered putting an air tank under my Xterra where the factory spare is now when I get a rear bumper with a tire carrier. There's also space behind the passenger side interior panel to mount a compressor and not intrude in the interior. Just a thought for you.
I have a 2001 jeep grand Cherokee, WJ
ive thot about under the rear bumper but just haven't commited yet. time will tell
thanks for the suggestion tho!!!

Reactions: TerryD

Bkins13

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor I

Edmonton, AB T5S 0J4, Canada
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Kinley
Member #

Great idea for a thread!

1. (in no particular order) Camping hammock (you never know where you may want to set it up and relax), set of ratchet straps, tow strap and clevis' , Dunlop Purofort+ boots, pocket knife, lighters/firestarters, flashlight, as well an extra jacket, gloves and hat.
2.In addition to the above items, come camping season I always have my Gerber "apocalypse kit"
3. Always make sure you have a good set of gloves and a warm hat to keep warm in case you need to help pull someone out of the ditch or give assistance in the cold weather.

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

I also run a VIAIR compressor. I'd buy the continuous duty compressor next time. My rear bumper doubles as my air tank. The compressor's under the hood, 3/8 tubing ran to the rear bumper. I can provide pictures upon request, Ron

Hapkijo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brooklyn, NY 11232, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Lalanne
Member #

I've got some Hi-lift jack, tools, Viair compressor, tire repair kit, volcano grill, collapsible fishing rod and kit. Cans of tuna, beans, a cooler with water, and some gummy bears that tried to get away. Really need to get on that Drawer system build.

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

I would like from the OB community to help each other out:

1. what the most important things that you keep in your trunk that never leave.
2. what do you keep thier that's always thier in camping season. "if it not year round"
3. what gear are most helpful and recommend to your fellow OB members.

pic are always welcome

Our everyday set up that stays in the rig is a full medkit, recovery straps/shackles, extra fluids for transmission/oil/antifreeze/water just small containers, spare fuel, jumper cables, spare fuses, one set of wrenches, flashlight, fire extinguisher, knife, axe, shovel, bug out bag, hi lift. I know this seems like a lot but it's not and if stored properly it really doesn't take up a lot of space. It's always good to be prepared cause you never know lol.