cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
Then why is he unpacking the stuff from bags that look exactly like Mountain House with Japanese writing? Whatever.

kentrik

Rank 0

Contributor I

Utah
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Christensen
That whole pack is .... something else. It's interesting how different people have different approaches to things - years of backpacking had me going from all the bells and whistles to minimizing things and going as slick as possible. If he broke down and had to toss that bag on his back and hitchhike, I am curious how far he'd make it before ditching 2/3 of that gear...

HYRYSC

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Southwest Missouri
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Conn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0YIN
Is it just me or does ALL of that stuff look brand spanking new?

I like to keep all of my stuff clean but let's face it, after a few uses, especially where this stuff typically get's used, it is going to show.

As I was watching I guess one of my questions is why isn't some of this stuff just left where he put it instead of the packing and unpacking bit?

Dave Purvis

Rank VII

Creator II

Elizabeth, Colorado, United States
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Purvis
Member #

That dude has his bug out bag dialed in. A little excessive when you have a rig that can store all that stuff rather than packing a backpack with a bunch of molle packs attached to it. The minimalist style shown in the OPs post is more suited to a backpacking ideology while many overlanders tend to lean towards "bigger is better". My bottom line is "if it fits it ships" and if you have room and can afford the weight penalty, its better to have it than not. I pack the kitchen sink, literally. If I was going expedition style, and on the road for weeks or months or years, I'd think more critically about each and every thing I pack, but for the most part, I am focused on comfort and convenience over compact and cute. And for what its worth, I have a headlamp and that's it; no hitchy LED's and multiple fans running on a dozen different power packs.

Reactions: Kozysnack

Bpjr07

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Baldwin Park, CA, USA
First Name
Ramiro
Last Name
Vargas
Member #

I watched the video in 2X speed and was still slow lol. I have a bug out/emergency bag like that. Never would i use it for overlanding took me to long to pack and organize lol.

Feels like the video was more to show his gadgets than actual overlanding, or camping.

The whole time i was thinking he could of stayed inside his car in his driveway lol.