Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

New to OB!

2019 Subaru Forester Sport awaiting transformation.
Open your eyes wide, wave your hands in the air and scream...
After that is done, get a 12V air compressor suitable for your tires, a pressure gauge and a tire repair kit.
Oh, the obvious... Get familiar with your rig, do short trips, measure your fuel mileage on the trail /forest road.

Have fun!

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I love it! I can't wait. I have zero time recorded off-road, so it should be fun!
Well then start with the forest roads around your home, tell someone where you are going, if you see something that you are uncomfortable with driving it, turn around and come back later with another vehicle to help.
Get some recovery equipment like a snatch strap and shackles suitable for your vehicle. If you get stuck, chances are someone will come by but may not have recovery gear at hand.

Reactions: Tariq_fa73f1

Tariq_fa73f1

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Virginia, United States
First Name
Tariq
Last Name
Ziad
I love it! I can't wait. I have zero time recorded off-road, so it should be fun!
Well then start with the forest roads around your home, tell someone where you are going, if you see something that you are uncomfortable with driving it, turn around and come back later with another vehicle to help.
Get some recovery equipment like a snatch strap and shackles suitable for your vehicle. If you get stuck, chances are someone will come by but may not have recovery gear at hand.
That's sold advice. Not sure if I'll be going by myself just yet. Also I don't have the proper tires, I think that's important no?

Reactions: MazeVX

Akicita

Rank IV

Advocate I

Firestone, CO, USA
First Name
Akicita
Last Name
Lakota
Member #

Hey thanks! That sounds like a plan. Do you have any recommendations on tires? I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff.
I could shy away from this "Pandora's box" question, but since you asked I wont. . . you're going to get at least a thousand differing opinions, but here are my recommendations based my subject matter experience and what I know of Virginia roads and off-road terrain. . . In no particular order, I have used and can endorse the BFG All Terrain T/A - proven over decades of on, and off-road use / Falken Wildpeak are a great all-around tire and value / Goodyear Duratracs; some love them, some hate them - it's the only tire my wife will run on her rigs ( she is quite experienced too) / my personal favorite, and the only tire I run is the BFG KM3 - probably not best suited for your area and terrain, but I love them.

Okay - I'm grabbing some popcorn and sitting back to see the thousand-plus responses and contradictions you will get now, but just remember you can't go wrong with any reputable brand or proven reliable tire like the ones I mentioned.

Hoka Hey!!!
Akicita

Last edited:

Jerome_4a756f

Rank II

Contributor II

Woodbridge, Prince William County, Virginia, United States
First Name
Jerome
Last Name
Krisak
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Hotel8
Nice Forester. Welcome to OB - I am relatively new here too. . . what to do first?

1. Put in gear and go

You don't need much to have great adventures . . . a reliable ride like yours will get you far.

Waóhola
Akicita
I 100% agree with this

Tariq_fa73f1

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Virginia, United States
First Name
Tariq
Last Name
Ziad
Hey thanks! That sounds like a plan. Do you have any recommendations on tires? I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff.
I could shy away from this "Pandora's box" question. . . you're going to get a least a thousand differing answers, but here are my recommendations based on what I know of the area you are from and your Forester. . . In no particular order, I have used and can endorse the BFG All Terrain T/A - proven over decades of on, and off-road use / Falken Wildpeak are a great all-around tire / Goodyear Duratracs; some love them, some hate them - it's the only tire my wife will run on her rigs ( she is quite experienced too) / my personal favorite and the only tire I run is the BFG KM3, probably not best suited for your area and terrain, but I love them.

Okay - I'm grabbing some popcorn and sitting back to see the thousand-plus responses and contradictions you will get now, but just remember you can't go wrong with any reputable brand or proven reliable tire like the ones I mentioned.

Hoka Hey!!!
Akicita
Thanks for the recommendations, duly noted! So much to learn....

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
AS long as you choose AT tyres you'll be fine. Based on having travelled on a wide range of ATs in the last 15 years we've ended up with Toyo Open Country ATs. The BFGs are excellent although a little noisy on asphalt. Geolandars are a good choice also. I've seen lots of good reports on the Wildpeaks but have no personal experience with them.

PS: just get out there and enjoy travelling!

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I suppose it all depends on what sort of trips/trails you want to do. The Subi is pretty capable stock, and will handle most groomed "soft" roads with ease. As others have said, if you're going to do anything, it'd be tires first. Something that won't slice or puncture easily on sharp rocks or jagged tree roots/branches (it always seems like it's a root or branch that gets somebody on my trips, not sharp rocks). Beyond that just go use it and see if it lets you down. Once you find the limits, you'll know what you need/want to change.

-TJ

Tariq_fa73f1

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Virginia, United States
First Name
Tariq
Last Name
Ziad
AS long as you choose AT tyres you'll be fine. Based on having travelled on a wide range of ATs in the last 15 years we've ended up with Toyo Open Country ATs. The BFGs are excellent although a little noisy on asphalt. Geolandars are a good choice also. I've seen lots of good reports on the Wildpeaks but have no personal experience with them.

PS: just get out there and enjoy travelling!

So I guess it comes down to the experience you have with the tire in question. I have zero experience with those types of tires. I think all tires mentioned rate well.
So it must be a personal preference really.

Thanks for the insight!

Reactions: Alanymarce

Tariq_fa73f1

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Virginia, United States
First Name
Tariq
Last Name
Ziad
I suppose it all depends on what sort of trips/trails you want to do. The Subi is pretty capable stock, and will handle most groomed "soft" roads with ease. As others have said, if you're going to do anything, it'd be tires first. Something that won't slice or puncture easily on sharp rocks or jagged tree roots/branches (it always seems like it's a root or branch that gets somebody on my trips, not sharp rocks). Beyond that just go use it and see if it lets you down. Once you find the limits, you'll know what you need/want to change.

-TJ
So my friends and I are planning a short seven mile trial at Peters Mill Run. It's a level 1 I think, with some rocks and water crossings. Nothing too bad I hope. I'll will definitely have tires installed on the factory rims by then. The overall consensus is I don't need much to start. I'll learn on the way! So I'll give that a shot.
Thank you for your help and advice!

Reactions: MazeVX and tjZ06

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Falken wildpeak AT3W. I have them on our patriot (same size as your forrester.) and they are AWESOME for any condition. Have been driving them in deep snow, etc and they just eat it up with stability to boot. Great forrester btw, have a look at LP adventure for some awesome parts.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

@Alanymarce - I would trust that opinion. They drive all over the place.

@tjZ06 - I second that. and @Akicita too

All the tires I have read on this thread to this point are great except some may be very heavy for your car. I have seen BFG A/T's paired with Boxer wheels so the extra weight of the tire is offset by the lighter weight of the Boxer rim. Some of those tires, like the DuraTracs, are really designed for pickup trucks. Personally I am looking to downsize from my GMC Sierra to exactly what you have here, and soon. I need an economic commuter with AWD and some mild off-road props and this is what I've settled on so I did some research ahead of my switch...

Be aware that there is a new 2022 Subaru Forester WILDERNESS edition made from the same platform as your 2019 Forester Sport. That comes from the factory with Yokohama Geolandar AT tires. If you are plan on driving on asphalt, to mild dirt roads, maybe fire service roads, i am betting the Geolandar AT will do you just fine and won't cause much of a hit on fuel economy

Tariq_fa73f1

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Virginia, United States
First Name
Tariq
Last Name
Ziad
@Alanymarce - I would trust that opinion. They drive all over the place.

@tjZ06 - I second that. and @Akicita too

All the tires I have read on this thread to this point are great except some may be very heavy for your car. I have seen BFG A/T's paired with Boxer wheels so the extra weight of the tire is offset by the lighter weight of the Boxer rim. Some of those tires, like the DuraTracs, are really designed for pickup trucks. Personally I am looking to downsize from my GMC Sierra to exactly what you have here, and soon. I need an economic commuter with AWD and some mild off-road props and this is what I've settled on so I did some research ahead of my switch...

Be aware that there is a new 2022 Subaru Forester WILDERNESS edition made from the same platform as your 2019 Forester Sport. That comes from the factory with Yokohama Geolandar AT tires. If you are plan on driving on asphalt, to mild dirt roads, maybe fire service roads, i am betting the Geolandar AT will do you just fine and won't cause much of a hit on fuel economy
So I went with the Falken WildPeak A/T Trail. I don't think I'll need the AT3's just yet. The Geo's were also considered as well as the BFG A/T Trail. All of them are really good. So really just want to get something on the Forester so I can start!