Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
It's a Farm WOK-griddle, at a wallet-screaming cost of @ $30. I had the burner from a turkey fryer, and the lid from my Weber grill. The plow disc and tire rim were purchased at a local recycling yard for @ $20 for both. The horseshoes we're $2 ea. A few minutes of grinding the surface rust off the disc and rim, a coat of high heat paint (bottom of disc and tire rim) after welding the horseshoes in place and it's ready to season up and cook! I LOVE me some DIY projects that are multi functional, sturdier and much less costly than potential commercial equivalents!

Attachments

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Love me some DIY projects too, what's that weigh though? Looks good for home, not so good to tote around on the road? Great idea on the horseshoes!

Reactions: lhoffm4

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Love me some DIY projects too, what's that weigh though? Looks good for home, not so good to tote around on the road? Great idea on the horseshoes!
Have not weighed it, but it's prolly close to 40lbs for just the griddle. So definitely not a back-packer model. I'm pretty sure the truck will haul it tho. I take the burner already, along with it's stock pot (turkey fryer), for large water heating (food, prep, cleaning, showers, etc). With the addition of the FWOK and it's tire rim, I can leave home my Camp Chef Explorer two-burner stove and it's griddle. That should more than compensate for the weight of the FWOK. I love saying "FWOK". FWOK FWOK FWOK! lol

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
My god I laughed out loud till I cried. A lifetime ago my brother and I were more than sternly corrected on our use of the forbidden 4 letter word. After the belt, we revolted for the first time and started saying FWOK and there was nothing he could do about it. We use the term to this day. LOL

Reactions: Advtres and lhoffm4

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Love it.

I am on the same path. Picked up a disc at the steel recyclying center a month or so ago. Have yet to scounge up the other pieces. Just a matter of time and being in the right place at the right time.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
This is why I called it a FWOK. I equate Farm WOK/ Cowboy WOK. Years ago I commissioned a Blacksmith friend of mine to build me a Fire Cook Set that could be configured either as a tripod or a spit-style set that straddles a fire pit.

I like the versatility it gives me to use the same gear in different ways.IMG_20220413_112736_copy_780x1040_copy_195x260.jpgIMG_20220413_105210_copy_780x1040_1_copy_195x260.jpgIMG_20220413_110454_copy_780x1040.jpgCowboy Griddle-Wok.jpg

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Nice work.

I especially like the tripod arrangement. That was not initially in my plans, but I think you have been a bad influence. Now I am going to have to buy some more steel.

bulfo4

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Szymanski
Member #

We got one from this great, Veteran-owned company that was local for us (Albuquerque). DISCADA | Plow Disc Cooking | Plow Disk Cooker | Disco | Outdoor Wok | Disc Grill. We’ve used it a dozen or so times for everything from French toast to pineapple fried rice. We keep it in a padded zippered freezer tote that’s just the right size to hold it, and that makes it easier to store and to keep it clean. We got a burner online and modded it so it’s more compact. Whole setup is quick and easy.

Attachments

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
It was my Bday on Friday. 55yrs young. Had some Family and Friends over, fired up the FWOK and made burgers and dogs like a Champ! This thing feeds an army! Seriously a game changer for the camp kitchen! Hint- use a diffuser plate with a 30K+ BTU burner. On high, the center will get to 475-500 F. More than enough to cook or season the steel. 200-300 F along edges. The dome cover from the BBQ grill also creates a perfect oven! Just using olive oil to cook/season it. Table salt, water and sponge to clean it, then wipe a light coat of olive oil with a paper towel when dry, to keep it ready. I think I'm going to order a vinyl tire cover to store/transport. Cheers!

Attachments