Rank II

Enthusiast I

Kinderhook, Columbia County, New York, United States
First Name
Jerome
Last Name
Hoffert
Member #

Hi everyone, I’m going to build a portable diesel heater in a box for use with my 23zero walkabout 72 tent and annex. I may use it some times with out the annex attached. I am wondering what size heater I should use for the build. A 2kw or a 5kw? I know I don’t want to go to big and load it up with carbon from burning on low. I just don’t know if a 2kw will heat that large of a space. Any help would be great. Thanks.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I would like to see what responses you get.
I have one on my "need to get" list. What I read was if you have one with a thermostat, you get the smaller one so it doesn't cycle off as much. If you get the larger one, it cycles off and take's a ton more power to start back up. I was looking at the 2.5 kw unit. You can do a bit of math and the unit size should be based on how large an area you need to heat.

alien_bronco

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cantonment, Florida, United States
First Name
kenny
Last Name
ehresman
Member #

We use the 5kw diesel heater for our squaredrop and our OVS rooftop tent. THis works pretty good and is a little over kill, but we are still dialing it in to make it super comfy at night. for now we open the roof fan to help equalize the temp.

NorthRightADV

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Kinderhook, Columbia County, New York, United States
First Name
Jerome
Last Name
Hoffert
Member #

Thank you for the replies. This helps. Allen, do you use the 5kw for the square drop and the tent at the same time with a splitter. If so do you think it’s still a bit overkill for both? I would Guess my cubic feet in the tent and annex are about equivalent to your square drop and tent combined.