What should I do first?

• HTML tutorial

GeoYota

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Escondido, CA
Member #

Thanks for the great info Geoyota! I'm going to look into everything you mentioned. I think this is what I'm going to do in the next couple months - compressor, tire deflaters, recovery strap, shovel, and tool kit. I'm also going to made a drawer system for camping with a temporary tonneau cover for added security. I'll make the tonneau cover out of 5' x 5' Baltic Birch. I would also like to get a locking tailgate latch too. Next winter I'll make a custom camper out of aluminum that I can actually sleep in. I would also like to replace the tires, but my wife won't let me do that until the current ones we're down :( At some point I would also like to get sliders, bumpers and a high lift... but as I write this via text talk my wife is glaring at me from across the couch so it might be awhile

Is there any essential gear on missing?
Sounds like a good plan @Norcalbowhunter .

When you get a chance (wife permitting :sunglasses:) you should post up a build thread here:

Overland Build Threads

...so we can follow the progress of your custom tonneau cover and aluminium camper.

One other note...and a way to mitigate the "glare from the couch" syndrome. Try as best you can to involve your better half with your outdoor pursuits. Find out what hurdles or obstacles there are, and work to show that you are listening to her concerns, and not just armoring up or customizing your rig.

Enjoying the outdoors, overlanding, camping, are all better enjoyed on a bicycle built for two (if you know what I mean).

Maybe investing in a good warm set of sleeping bags, some hand/feet warmers, and a nice solar shower set up for camping are some good starting places too?

Or...learn to prep that favorite meal while camping, and don't forget the corkscrew and favorite beverage!

IMG_6748.JPG

Happy wife = the overlanding life! :sunglasses:

IMG_6775.JPG

Reactions: Norcalbowhunter

Enthusiast I

Auburn
Thanks for the tips! She does enjoy camping and the outdoors, but doesn't enjoy spending money Last year I bought a two person sleeping bag and matress which she loved. I've taking her backpacking numerous times, which kind of tainted her idea of what camping was until we actually went and she realized it was way more chill and cozy than backpacking. Now that I have a more capable rig we will be going out way more. Some of the keys to making her happy in the woods.

Warm clothes
A good fire
Cozy bed
Chairs
Adult beverages
A good book
I do most of cooking and cleaning camping as she does all of that stuff at home.

Sounds like a good plan @Norcalbowhunter .

When you get a chance (wife permitting :sunglasses:) you should post up a build thread here:

Overland Build Threads

...so we can follow the progress of your custom tonneau cover and aluminium camper.

One other note...and a way to mitigate the "glare from the couch" syndrome. Try as best you can to involve your better half with your outdoor pursuits. Find out what hurdles or obstacles there are, and work to show that you are listening to her concerns, and not just armoring up or customizing your rig.

Enjoying the outdoors, overlanding, camping, are all better enjoyed on a bicycle built for two (if you know what I mean).

Maybe investing in a good warm set of sleeping bags, some hand/feet warmers, and a nice solar shower set up for camping are some good starting places too?

Or...learn to prep that favorite meal while camping, and don't forget the corkscrew and favorite beverage!

View attachment 54419

Happy wife = the overlanding life! :sunglasses:

View attachment 54418

Reactions: Road and GeoYota

GeoYota

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Escondido, CA
Member #

Thanks for the tips! She does enjoy camping and the outdoors, but doesn't enjoy spending money on the Tacoma yet...
FIFY.

Lol...a situation I think we can all relate to.

Carry on sir, looking forward to your build thread and following the custom camper creation.

:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses: