Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

We all have our process for getting on the road but I want to know what do you specifically do to your rig before hitting the road? My check before leaving:
* Check or change engine oil (depending on last change)
* Check all Misc fluids: PS, Brake, etc...
* Visual on hoses and belts
* Check Battery for damage
* Check suspension, drive lines for damage or wear
* Check Tire wear and pressure

I am sure that my check list can be improved or too much depending on the rig?

Reactions: BobG

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

What I check depends on the length of the trip. But... one rule I have is no major changes to the vehicle or fluid changes just before a trip. It's too easy to have a drain plug not tight, a radiator cap not secured right or a bolt not secured to put you on the side of the road. I always check / change fluids days before and always put a few drives on the rig before heading out.

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

I never had a real long trip.. exept maybe the trip to France for our holiday last June. But to be fair I didn't check more then the lights and washer fluid, but as the Yaris was just 6 month's old I really didn't bother checking more. That is, strangely, about the only thing missing on your list though. Do a light check, make sure turn signals and brake lights work as well. Nothing worse then following a car with half working lights.

It has been 6 years since I owned a car that was older then 2 years xD so when I get my cruiser I deffo need to get back onto checking oil and stuff more often..
But as I live in Europe and it is kind off hard to find a place where nobody is around for hours and hours I doubt I'll ever check the driveshafts and stuff before a trip. But tires / fluids and lights are the main thing I would check really.

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I check that my cargo is securely fastened, when I start the trip and the start/ end of a trail. sometimes things shift or an edge is sharper than you thought it was, branch lower than you thought etc. I'm a strong believer in Murphy's law, so I do what I can to avoid it.

Reactions: 1derer

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

The list looks pretty good, but one other thing I do is about a week or so before I plan on heading out, I find myself listening a little more closely to the car. Did it sound "normal" on the start? Does it feel sluggish at all or at certain times? What's that extra vibration or sound I don't recall hearing? Is it the road just rubbing the tires differently? Sounds involved, but most of what I mention I usually dismiss in a few seconds as I realize what I'm hearing.

As I use my DD for overlanding it sounds different when loaded. Load on top also plays with the air flow so that causes new noises. So for the first hour or so at highway speeds, I listen very closely for anything and everything trying to figure out the new noises.

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

All great suggestions! I'll add check the lug nuts and air pressure in all 5 tires. Tighten down all hardware for skid plates, sliders and suspension. Visually check both differentials, transfer case, transmission and engine for any leaks far enough ahead of time that you can complete any repairs.

Reactions: 1derer