Rick
Last Name
Esquibel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5FMF
Service Branch
USMC/USN
i wolud like to know if i should get a cb radio fo my truck or if there a differnt one that every body uses now the a cb and if so what brand should i go with im on a really tight budget
The easy answer is who do you go out with, but if it were me I would get a handheld GMRS radio that you can keep in your rig or transfer between rigs/cars.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

Shawn686

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Canada
Like above, get what the people you go with use.

Truth be told CB is mostly dead. The only reasons that I have one in my truck is for NOAA weather alerts and the PA function. In my area I rarely hear anyone on any channel, and truckers have almost completely transitioned to uhf/vhf radios now.

I guess the real question is how much do you know about radios?

Are you asking what radio you should get or are you specifically asking what CB radio you should get. As in are you using the term CB radio like most non radio people use it, to describe any radio some puts in their truck. Or do you know the difference between a CB, vhf, uhf and GMRS/FRS radios?

Shawn

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

LJ0073

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Morrisonville, New York, United States
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Joiner
Member #

like i said i'm by my self most of the time but i want to some of the guided tours and would like to make shore i had the some wave langht and i was seeing what brand of radio is a good one to start with for cheap do to me being new and just getting in to overlanding

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
like i said i'm by my self most of the time but i want to some of the guided tours and would like to make shore i had the some wave langht and i was seeing what brand of radio is a good one to start with for cheap do to me being new and just getting in to overlanding
Most organized/guided tours now use GMRS as a standard. I would recommend Midland GXT67 handheld to start with, it is practically indestructible and will run a long time on a charge.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
i wolud like to know if i should get a cb radio fo my truck or if there a differnt one that every body uses now the a cb and if so what brand should i go with im on a really tight budget
CB is dead. 5 years ago I took a 4,000 mile trip to Wyoming and back. I heard one conversation in 3 weeks. Gmrs and ham are your better bets.

Reactions: LJ0073

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Don't know if this will help you at all..

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

CB is dead. 5 years ago I took a 4,000 mile trip to Wyoming and back. I heard one conversation in 3 weeks. Gmrs and ham are your better bets.
Even up here in New England I hear conversation over CB regularly. Daily. But that is usually when I am nearing some sort of intermodal center, trucking hub, or whatnot, but I do hear conversation around the I-90 and route 2 E-W corridors daily. I do NOT hear much at all in the greater Boston area, say, inside of the route 128 arc. Maybe there's too much "far and in between" in a place like Montana or Wyoming, I dont know, as the CB is only supposed to be a 4 or 5 watt device.

My CB also has NOAA weather monitoring on 7 channels and alerts, so I use it for that as well.

Having said all of that, I do have a couple of GMRS/FRS Cobra Micro-Talk handhelds with 22 channels, 121 privacy codes and NOAA. I would like to get a Midland MXT115 or something but have not squeezed the trigger on that yet.

Long winded just to say, get a CB if you really want one for the hell of it, but get yourself a GMRS/FRS first for sure. That's the way its going.

Shawn686

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Canada
Midland is a good bet for plug and play. If you are willing to learn a bit and use your computer to program a radio you can get a decent radio for like $40, and be able to listen on far more frequencies

Midland GMRS
Tidradio H3, computer program one

I suggest getting one of the above and using it for a while to see what works for you and what you like / dont like, before you go spending a bunch on a radio.

Shawn

Last edited: