Randell
Last Name
Beck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2QMS - The Commander
Service Branch
USN
Some thoughts on radios for overlanding....

CB: low power, sometimes crowded, although the throngs seem to be fading....

GMRS: Much higher power, relatively new, not in widespread use yet...

2M: distance limited, but useful, higher power...

UHF 70cm: Also distance limited, but higher power

All the ham bands can be used through repeaters to get out, depending on where you go.

Handhelds and CB can be very useful within the group/convoy/camo/expedition. Probably a good idea if at least one truck in the group has a ham setup to reach out over long distances, in case assistance needs to be called in.

Based on the previous thought, handhelds are very useful for the local area comms within the group. For that use, does brand or band really matter?

You can get a good CB at Walmart for about $35, so that pretty much takes care of itself for its usefulness. Who needs more? Again, handhelds can also be useful for intra-convoy use.

An ideal setup for those into the coms might be a mobile dual band ham setup (about $150, give or take, as a minimum), a handheld CB and some handheld dual bands to hand out in the group to people without radios. I guess a GMRS would also be useful in that context, whther mobile or handheld.

For everything except the CB listed here, licensing is a factor. There are threads on here on how to get licensed. In my thread "Getting Licensed" I gave out a link for ham band study guide (it gives all the basics including theory - enough to make the license understandable) and flash cards/practice test. It will get someone going nicely.

Dusty

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Seymour TX
First Name
Dusty
Last Name
Dunn
Member #

I just passed my test for technicians licenses. hopefully I'll take the test for general in December. For most part I think CB is going to get you the most bang for your buck. They are the most popular. Even though they are weak. But will work if you get them peaked and tuned. I'd like to see every offroad group get into ham. The Rigid Radios systems are cheap enuf. They also offer a 25 watt water proof vhs radio. If you drive a wrangler you know how well water gets inside them. That should cover 10 mile long convoy. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: PB&Me

Overland Commander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Woodstock, Cherokee County, Georgia, United States
First Name
Randell
Last Name
Beck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2QMS - The Commander
Service Branch
USN
Congratulations on your license!

CB does seem to be the most popular amongst the off road set - especially Jeep clubs. Its simple and familiar to most. In the convoy, its probably real effective. NOt the best for calling out in an emergency, so it would be nice if someone in the group could hit a repeater or had a higher-powered radio.

Reactions: Dusty

AZBubs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BHP
I have been studying from hamstudy.org. Its been great, far better than the other ways I was studying. I go in for my test Oct 15th. After reading and researching and being 100% new to the HAM stuff I didn't want to spend a whole bunch and will probably get a baofeng (usa warranty) from Amazon. A couple of reasons, cost to get started, didn't want to drop a whole bunch of money on something I'm not sure how much use it will get. I figure if I use it enough or feel comfortable enough later ill just upgrade to a mobile unit. Then I'll still have the handheld for hiking and whatnot.

Reactions: Dusty

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I have been studying from hamstudy.org. Its been great, far better than the other ways I was studying. I go in for my test Oct 15th. After reading and researching and being 100% new to the HAM stuff I didn't want to spend a whole bunch and will probably get a baofeng (usa warranty) from Amazon. A couple of reasons, cost to get started, didn't want to drop a whole bunch of money on something I'm not sure how much use it will get. I figure if I use it enough or feel comfortable enough later ill just upgrade to a mobile unit. Then I'll still have the handheld for hiking and whatnot.

I too started out with a cheap HT, but it didn't take long to decide to save up some money for a mobile radio. I use mine mostly mobile though.
As long as you understand the limitations and characteristics of an HT radio don't be discouraged if it doesn't work quite as well as you had hoped.
A better antenna would be a good upgrade, the Nagoya NA771 is popular. If you are going to use it mobile an external antenna is a must.

Reactions: Dusty and AZBubs

AZBubs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BHP
I too started out with a cheap HT, but it didn't take long to decide to save up some money for a mobile radio. I use mine mostly mobile though.
As long as you understand the limitations and characteristics of an HT radio don't be discouraged if it doesn't work quite as well as you had hoped.
A better antenna would be a good upgrade, the Nagoya NA771 is popular. If you are going to use it mobile an external antenna is a must.
That’s the plan. Already have an NMO mount and adapter for the HT in vehicle. Thanks for the handheld antenna suggestion, what would be a descent vehicle antenna, there are a gazillion choices.

Last edited:

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

That’s the plan. Already have an NMO mount and adapter for the HT in vehicle. Thanks for the handheld antenna suggestion, what would be a descent vehicle antenna, there are a gazillion choices.
For Dual band I run Browning BR-180-b (the -b is for black) and they have worked well and aren't real expensive at about $30.
The Larsen 2/70 is generally regarded as being the best dual band antenna and is about $60-$70.

4L_Warrior

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

East Bay Ca.
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Galvan
Member #

Hey NavEx!

Good list, but how about adding the following to it?
1. Cell phone - yes, low power... but when they work on the trail, it's comforting. Sometimes they work when you did't think they would hit a tower. Example, I was out exploring behind and on the USMC Mountain Warfare Training Camp (Hwy 108, Ca.). 54,000 acres (little known fact that is actually on public lands, so we can use it too!). The military has towers posted high and full bars everywhere.

2. Satellite Phone - not cheap, but they work!

3. Garmin Inreach type device - good tool, but again monthly fee.

And, a +1 to Prerunner1982's comment on the Larsen 2m/70cm antenna. Have one on my truck and it preforms outstanding. More important than the radio brand or quality or power, is the antenna.

Overland Commander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Woodstock, Cherokee County, Georgia, United States
First Name
Randell
Last Name
Beck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2QMS - The Commander
Service Branch
USN
Hey NavEx!

Good list, but how about adding the following to it?
1. Cell phone - yes, low power... but when they work on the trail, it's comforting. Sometimes they work when you did't think they would hit a tower. Example, I was out exploring behind and on the USMC Mountain Warfare Training Camp (Hwy 108, Ca.). 54,000 acres (little known fact that is actually on public lands, so we can use it too!). The military has towers posted high and full bars everywhere.

2. Satellite Phone - not cheap, but they work!

3. Garmin Inreach type device - good tool, but again monthly fee.

And, a +1 to Prerunner1982's comment on the Larsen 2m/70cm antenna. Have one on my truck and it preforms outstanding. More important than the radio brand or quality or power, is the antenna.
Good Info, thanks! I was just kinda assuming "other than cell phone". Im familiar with that area - my best friend (a Recon Captain) did his tactical climbing schools there. We are talking about going out there and doing some climbing.

Here is a good source for all things mobile...

http://www.k0bg.com/

AZBubs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BHP
A sat phone is great....if you can hear what’s being said. I’ve used 2 different sat phones at work (fed agency) and at best it sounds like a cup and string phone talking to someone at the bottom of the ocean.

Reactions: systemdelete

Tony M.

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Columbia, MO, USA
Member #

I’m all about a cb and and a nice flexible antenna. Been using them forever and it’s a great way for a whole crew to keep in contact on the trail! And they are cheap!!

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Took a month for the FCC to log it, but I’m official!
KM6WCK
Good stuff! Now I would suggest you get involved with a local club and enjoy being on the air. Just having the license is fine, but to truly get the most from it and develop your operating skills, I always suggest being mildly involved in a club. I've learned so much and had a lot of fun with my local group over the years.

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

Good stuff! Now I would suggest you get involved with a local club and enjoy being on the air. Just having the license is fine, but to truly get the most from it and develop your operating skills, I always suggest being mildly involved in a club. I've learned so much and had a lot of fun with my local group over the years.
Haha. Yeah, it would be beneficial but time is something I don’t have a lot of. 3 kids w soccer, vollyball, water polo etc. wife works till 7:30... When I have free time I hop a leg over my mountain bike and escape!