What Mods are there for 2014 FJ's

• HTML tutorial

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

I am a Jeeper, (sounds kind like AA), so what I know about the FJ is limited. But I am trying to help my sister-in-law with her new 2014 FJ ( To her). I would like to know what has worked for you folks and what to say away from. She would like to go out and have fun and not get too wild, and she plans to hand it down to her son , so I am trying to help him get what he could use too... And Thanks, ahead of time for any help, to get another OB member maybe!

theick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Las Vegas
Member #

Pretty much any mod you can think of is possible. It has a lot of aftermarket support so pretty much any part is available off the shelf. Normal mods are lift, tires, bumpers, armor, lights, comms etc just like anything else. They are pretty capable stock so tires are really all you need to do some exploring especially if it has a rear locker and atrac. The one preventative mod that gets done often is replacing the rear lower control arm with an aftermarket arm. The stock ones can be weak and are prone to being hit by large rocks.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and ASNOBODY

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

Pretty much any mod you can think of is possible. It has a lot of aftermarket support so pretty much any part is available off the shelf. Normal mods are lift, tires, bumpers, armor, lights, comms etc just like anything else. They are pretty capable stock so tires are really all you need to do some exploring especially if it has a rear locker and atrac. The one preventative mod that gets done often is replacing the rear lower control arm with an aftermarket arm. The stock ones can be weak and are prone to being hit by large rocks.

If the FJ has the locking rear diff but not A-Trac, all you need to do is buy the switch. It should already be wired. Pretty simple. That and tires… boom, you're offroading :)

And like @theick said, there are TONS of aftermarket mods/support. I'd have her sign up for fjcruiserforums.com and just spend a few days reading. Lots of great info there.

Reactions: 9Mike2

beck4u

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Patterson, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Becker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JAG
First exterior mods I did to mine were all pro sliders and a rack to mount my RTT. Most of the other stuff I have done so far has been for comfort/convenience. Lights, switches, usb charging ports and ARB fridge. Next mods are going to be lift and front bumper. Just waiting for the funds and for tires to wear out. I'm new to 4x4 but I know the Fj is very capable.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: 9Mike2

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Thanks everyone ! This is why the group is so cool , it doesn't matter what you drive, they will help!! I am wondering what vendors / stores are the best for the FJ. Being I am sure that she uses it as DD and their son will be using for high school/collage. I suggested the KO2's for a start, what size I have to look into, I am have really good luck with them. I have a vendor we used here in Low-Cal for diff work , they are very dialed in..