What justifies the expense for a rooftop tent?

• HTML tutorial

Crusader

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Texas
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Wilcox
Service Branch
USAF
I get it that it's easy to set up, safer from wildlife, and they give you more privacy. They are really cool looking, but then I see the price of the tent, and then I see the price of the rack to mount the tent. Anytime you want to run to town for supplies or camp several days in the same location you have to break the tent down and set it up again when you return. Then there is removal and storage for when you want to drive around town during your regular life. I suppose if you are constantly moving in the wilderness the RTT would be hard to beat. I can also see putting an RTT on a trailer.

Instead of spending $2-3k for a rack and RTT, would it be better to buy a double size cot tent with inflatable mattress included for $300? You can still get a rack if you want for gear storage or to include a canopy, but $1-2k for a RTT is pretty steep if you don't use it a couple of times per month.

Last edited:

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

So, do you want the brutally honest truth? And I can probably speak for most of us on this forum, to a certain degree.

It's not a matter of need, it's a matter of want. Most of what we purchase isn't needed, at all, but we WANT it. I fall right into that category with many of my purchases, not all of them, of course. I've owned multiple roof top tents, soft shell, and hardshell, have slept inside my Jeep, and now own an Ursa Minor top. I could have easily kept sleeping in my backpacking tent that I've had for years lol. However, after all of that, I wouldn't trade the Ursa Minor for anything. It's, by far in my opinion, the best setup for a 4dr Jeep Wrangler, unless you need space for more than two people.

Most RTT's are manufactured in China, by just a handful of manufacturers, built to specific specs for companies around the world. Some are better than others, some are marketed better than others, some are sold by companies with much higher levels of customer, and product support, so price is determined by a variety of factors.

With that said, importing isn't easy, or cheap. By the time a well known company gets those tents stateside there's a host of costs involved over the price you see on Alibaba, and that end landing cost is a lot more. On top of those additional costs those companies have a particular profit margin they're going after, depending on whether they are consumer direct, or have a wholesale division set up as well. This is expected, and rightfully deserved by the people that own these companies, since after all, they are in business to make money.

The range of prices you find on RTT's is generally determined by whether they are standard soft shell style, or hard shell. Hard shell is MUCH easier to setup and break down, MUCH! A lot of people are willing to pay for that convenience. Other factors are in the type, and weight, of ripstop used for the tent, rainfly, etc. Mattress quality can also vary greatly, and in fact, some RTT's now don't even come up with a mattress, so there's another factor than plays ultimately into the cost. And then in just general overall quality of construction you'll find a number of differences as well. Best way to see this is to look at a lot of them at a show. You'll see it for yourself, and then more clearly understand the price differences.

As far as what's best for you? Only you can make that decision. Like I mentioned, a lot of these purchases are based on wants, and not necessarily needs. Figure out what you think will work best for you and your family. Look at a variety of setups, in person if you can.

Crusader

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Texas
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Wilcox
Service Branch
USAF
I always appreciate brutal honesty. It tends to save me money and heartache. Truth be told, I only get 3 weeks of vacation per year and tend to work 50-70 hours per week and will only get to camping/overlanding maybe 5-6 times per year. I WANT a Gladiator anyway and I won't need to drive it very much, but I'll enjoy it for what it is whether I overland much or not. I may go for a full height rack because I can haul lumber and supplies on it also while I am building my house next year. I may get creative and put a cargo net over the rack as a hammock and rig a tarp as a rain cover. The cargo net can double as security for my load in the bed on the road. Thanks for the input.

I'll spend my money on the vehicle, refrigeration, communication, and cooking. If mosquitos get too bad, I'll get a backpacker's tent.

Reactions: akdigital3d

flyfisher117

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Idaho
First Name
John
Last Name
Hansen
Member #

I get it that it's easy to set up, safer from wildlife, and they give you more privacy. They are really cool looking, but then I see the price of the tent, and then I see the price of the rack to mount the tent. Anytime you want to run to town for supplies or camp several days in the same location you have to break the tent down and set it up again when you return. Then there is removal and storage for when you want to drive around town during your regular life. I suppose if you are constantly moving in the wilderness the RTT would be hard to beat. I can also see putting an RTT on a trailer.

Instead of spending $2-3k for a rack and RTT, would it be better to buy a double size cot tent with inflatable mattress included for $300? You can still get a rack if you want for gear storage or to include a canopy, but $1-2k for a RTT is pretty steep if you don't use it a couple of times per month.
*disclaimer* I am not trying to be a dick. Every time I say this peoples undies get ruffled.
If you can not see a benefit to owning a RTT it is likely not for you. Go with your gut/instinct/feelings. Start basic and go from there.

That being said I love owning a RTT. I grew up "boon docking" or what ever the term is for pulling your 30' house on wheels into the forest and "camping" loved every minute of it.
Once I got into the world on my own I did not have a desire to own a trailer house, but wanted to camp. Spent a few years in a ground tent and hated every minute of it. Where I go and the activities I do it sucked finding a spot to camp.
Girlfriend and I decided to get a RTT and mount it on the bed of the truck. Smitty Tent and Hot Metal Fab rack. Both basic items. Fell in love for the most part other than I lost the ability to set up a base camp and I lost the ability to haul a dirt bike. Tent stayed on all summer and came off in the winter.
Her parents offered us their offroad trailer build and CVT Tent. We jumped on it and sold the other tent. Now we have the ability to set up base camp, which is nice, but now I dont like having to drag a trailer around. Theres some areas I just dont explore because I do not want to get somewhere I shouldnt be with the trailer.. I do wish we would have just kept the bed mounted set up and used both at this point. I think a hard shell RTT will be out next purchase, its not an immediate purchase but it will happen.

Just buy some gear and get started. It may work for you and you will love it, or you will find issues and upgrade later. A RTT may not make sense now but in a few years you may realize its perfect for you. You may also decide that you want a kick ass 4 season ground tent or you may want a little offroad tear drop.

Clrussell

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arkansas, USA
First Name
Corbin
Last Name
Russell
For me spending the 4K on my tent was a no braine. My gal wants to go, it makes her more comfortable/ makes me more comfortable, sets up in 45 seconds, water proof, I can store clothes and all my bedding in it which opens up room otherwise.

For me making it easier and more user friendly makes the experience better, along with gives us more opportunities to go. I still have a small ground tent for the kids when they go and it takes 10 minutes to setup and break down. If it wasn’t for getting the kids out and going id light it on fire.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I am not a RTT guy, at 64 years and camping for many of them, I do not get them at all. Heavy, expensive, reduced mileage, taking away a place to haul my toys, changing the center of gravity’s is not worth it to me. A trailer seems a better platform for a RTT. Many love the fashion of sporting all there stuff hanging off there rig. It’s fine by me if you want a fashion plate. Most of the soft side RTTs are pretty crappy as a tents go. The hard shells are much better and heavy overall. I do like my life closer to the bone than most, but as I watch people camping with there RTT they not all that and a bag of chips. This isn’t the party line, but I think Scotties are just marketing too.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

You're not going to get a double-sized cot tent with mattress included for 300 that is worth a hill of beans as far as comfort, or that will last very long. You're comparing two very different things.

My hardshell RTT cost less than my OZTent RV-5 ground tent, which IS a very comfortable and durable ground tent.

I have since sold the ground tent, nice as it was.

My RTT is MUCH easier to use, MUCH more overall convenient, MUCH quicker to set up, and MUCH easier to find a location in which to set up.

It's always there, always ready, has all bedding already in place, and is, by far, a MUCH more comfortable sleep than I've ever had in anything else in my more than six decades of outdoor adventuring.

o-van-trailer-roaddude-bibe_6729-900.jpeg

Whether I'm lakeside or mountain camping, or in the swamps or desert borderlands, I've found my hardshell RTT to be the best and most functional solution for cost, efficiency, comfort, and durability. I've used it well over 600 nights out, so far.

A lot of folks seem to moan about the weight of RTTs. I can't speak to soft fold-out RTTs (I wouldn't own a fold-out RTT and if given one, would sell or give it away) though my hardshell RTT, with queen-sized interior, weighs little enough I can move it about on my rack if I need, and can get it on and off the rack solo, when needed. It weighs less than the spare tires, full fuel cans, and storage boxes a lot of 'overlanders' love to show off on their roofs.

basecamp-roaddude-rearview_8019-900n.jpg

My RTT simply makes the best sense for my way of travel and adventure.

Last edited:

Crusader

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Texas
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Wilcox
Service Branch
USAF
I'm not trying to put down anybody's decision to buy a RTT. It's your money and your decision. We all have different wants and needs. As someone looking to get into overlanding, I'm just trying to wrap my head around the choices and figure out what I want. My wants and needs can evolve, but I can't justify the expense right now until I get more into it and develop a more educated opinion based on my needs and experience.

Crusader

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Texas
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Wilcox
Service Branch
USAF
You're not going to get a double-sized cot tent with mattress included for 300 that is worth a hill of beans as far as comfort, or that will last very long. You're comparing two very different things.

My hardshell RTT cost less than my OZTent RV-5 ground tent, which IS a very comfortable and durable ground tent.

I have since sold the ground tent, nice as it was.

My RTT is MUCH easier to use, MUCH more overall convenient, MUCH quicker to set up, and MUCH easier to find a location in which to set up.

It's always there, always ready, has all bedding already in place, and is, by far, a MUCH more comfortable sleep than I've ever had in anything else in my more than six decades of outdoor adventuring.

View attachment 211232

Whether I'm lakeside or mountain camping, or in the swamps or desert borderlands, I've found my hardshell RTT to be the best and most functional solution for cost, efficiency, comfort, and durability. I've used it well over 600 nights out, so far.

A lot of folks seem to moan about the weight of RTTs. I can't speak to soft fold-out RTTs (I wouldn't own a fold-out RTT and if given one, would sell or give it away) though my hardshell RTT, with queen-sized interior, weighs little enough I can move it about on my rack if I need, and can get it on and off the rack solo, when needed. It weighs less than the spare tires, full fuel cans, and storage boxes a lot of 'overlanders' love to show off on their roofs.

View attachment 211231

My RTT simply makes the best sense for my way of travel and adventure.
Love the trailer setup. Once I build my house and shop, I'll have to learn to weld and try to build something like that. My son is a diesel mechanic and he'd love to help with something like that. That looks like it would do pretty well off road.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I'm not trying to put down anybody's decision to buy a RTT. It's your money and your decision. We all have different wants and needs. As someone looking to get into overlanding, I'm just trying to wrap my head around the choices and figure out what I want. My wants and needs can evolve, but I can't justify the expense right now until I get more into it and develop a more educated opinion based on my needs and experience.
I didn't think you were trying to put anyone down for having/buying an RTT. You asked what justifies the expense, and I think most who answered, or at least mine, were speaking to that.

Love the trailer setup. Once I build my house and shop, I'll have to learn to weld and try to build something like that. My son is a diesel mechanic and he'd love to help with something like that. That looks like it would do pretty well off road.
Thanks. Oh yeah, it's capable of going more extreme places than my van can. It's meant for back country and off-pavement, with high clearance, torsion axle, low center of gravity due to the underbody (but armored) 22 gal water tank, and capacious cargo area. All heavy duty aluminum and huck-bolted.

canoeloaded-900.jpeg

My van is diesel and hauls this trailer (capable of carrying more weight than a one ton pickup with just about as big a cargo area as a long bed pickup) with ease. It's a Schutt Industries XVenture XV-2 platform, to which I added the rear swing out for spare, RTT, awning, solar, inverter, air, etc.

Good luck with home, shop, and building stuff! I miss my big shop/studio.

Let me know if there's anything I can offer for experience with my trailer or adventuring in general. When I go out, I tend to be gone for months and wander all over the continent, though favor a number of off-grid spots in Texas.

Last edited:
Reactions: grubworm and Shahn

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
well, i guess logically, NONE of this makes sense when you consider that most of us live in perfectly good houses and we chose to spend any amount of money to leave said house and go live like wild wolves for a while....

Crusader

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Texas
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Wilcox
Service Branch
USAF
I didn't think you were trying to put anyone down for having/buying an RTT. You asked what justifies the expense, and I think most who answered, or at least mine, were speaking to that.

Thanks. Oh yeah, it's capable of going more extreme places than my van can. It's meant for back country and off-pavement, with high clearance, torsion axle, low center of gravity due to the underbody (but armored) 22 gal water tank, and capacious cargo area. All heavy duty aluminum and huck-bolted.

View attachment 211249

My van is diesel and hauls this trailer (capable of carrying more weight than a one ton pickup with just about as big a cargo area as a long bed pickup) with ease. It's a Schutt Industries XVenture XV-2 platform, to which I added the rear swing out for spare, RTT, awning, solar, inverter, air, etc.

Good luck with home, shop, and building stuff! I miss my big shop/studio.

Let me know if there's anything I can offer for experience with my trailer or adventuring in general. When I go out, I tend to be gone for months and wander all over the continent, though favor a number of off-grid spots in Texas.
If I ever get my barndominium on 5 secluded acres built, I'll invite you over. You can show me your trailer and I'll show you my barndo. I plan to do grid intertied solar and either a well or rain water collection. I'll start looking hard for land East of Dallas as soon as the divorce is final (about 2 weeks?) and do most of the work myself. It's going to be epic. Overlanding will have to take a backseat for a while but it will give me time to educate myself to keep costs down.

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
well, i guess logically, NONE of this makes sense when you consider that most of us live in perfectly good houses and we chose to spend any amount of money to leave said house and go live like wild wolves for a while....
Perspective! Man you just nail it from time to time!

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

If I ever get my barndominium on 5 secluded acres built, I'll invite you over. You can show me your trailer and I'll show you my barndo. I plan to do grid intertied solar and either a well or rain water collection. I'll start looking hard for land East of Dallas as soon as the divorce is final (about 2 weeks?) and do most of the work myself. It's going to be epic. Overlanding will have to take a backseat for a while but it will give me time to educate myself to keep costs down.
Cool, I appreciate that. I can pretty much build a house from the ground up and have experience in all the building trades, so may gladly trade some hours helping for a spot to camp. I enjoy projects like that.

One of the primary reasons I configured my van and trailer setup the way I have is to be able to use it for as a base camp and support for just those sorts of projects; have cargo carrying ability (sheet goods and other building mat'ls) in both van and trailer while retaining sleeping quarter ability in either or both, AND have running water, my own solar-generated power and full cooking area, not to mention an extensive and encloseable area from shade and weather.

basecamp_2572-900.jpeg
Full length cooking/work counter on the other side.

coldweather basecamp_5639-900.jpg
Almost all closed in, with propane fire ring inside.

Crusader

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Texas
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Wilcox
Service Branch
USAF
Cool, I appreciate that. I can pretty much build a house from the ground up and have experience in all the building trades, so may gladly trade some hours helping for a spot to camp. I enjoy projects like that.

One of the primary reasons I configured my van and trailer setup the way I have is to be able to use it for as a base camp and support for just those sorts of projects; have cargo carrying ability (sheet goods and other building mat'ls) in both van and trailer while retaining sleeping quarter ability in either or both, AND have running water, my own solar-generated power and full cooking area, not to mention an extensive and encloseable area from shade and weather.

View attachment 211321
Full length cooking/work counter on the other side.

View attachment 211322
Almost all closed in, with propane fire ring inside.

Looks great. I bet you could set up camp in 30 minutes off of that trailer. I hate to invite you there to work. I'm on call 24/7 and can't guarantee I will be there to work. Once the place is built, I'll invite people out or maybe host a regional overnight meeting so we can camp to get ideas from each other and maybe help each other with vehicle projects in my shop. I'd better get busy soon.

I will have the slab and metal building installed and finish out the insides myself. My dad framed custom homes and I worked with him as a teen. I'm a field engineer and work on industrial power equipment for a living, so electrical is no problem. My best friend installs internet and security cameras for hotels for a living. Another buddy offered air conditioning at wholesale prices and he will help me install it for free. Plumbing is the only thing I need to learn, and pex doesn't look too hard to learn. I would have done this years ago, but I couldn't get the wife to agree to the hardship of roughing it while we build. Now I won't have to rough it much. My brother lives 30 minutes away and has a 5 br house I can live in while I build in my spare time. I'll camp there on my weekends to decrease commute time. My buddy put solar on his shop for $11lk and paid $67 for the first year's electricity. My place will be half the size of his. If I make too much electricity, I'll get an electric car for the free fuel around town or find an electric tractor for projects. I might even try to go off grid entirely. I sometimes get free used batteries from work. (deep cycle VRLA) I plan 1200sf living and 1200sf shop under one roof with a 60x10 porch down the North side of the building.

Last edited:

bryceCtravels

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Charleston, SC, USA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
Campbell
This topic has been beat to death at this point but I’ll add.
The only RTTs worth buying are fiberglass ones. Fabric RTTs are the same as fabric tents and a waste of money. So now you have to decide between a high end ground tent (sub $500) and a hard shell RTT (2-4K). How often are you camping? How often are you moving camp? How much of this is an aesthetics discussion just as much as a sleeping one? All stuff no one can answer but you. I sleep in my tent probably 150-175 nights a year. It’s worth it for me, but I can’t say for anyone else.

Reactions: dchurch and MMc

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Ha, not having the ability to build it yourself! Only reason I can see to buy one for that kinda $,$$$'s!