First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
OK, lot's of requests on this!

I wear the Propper BA Softshell Jacket. I've had it for about three years and it has served me well. Form fitting but flexible, modest warmth. I wanted storage and something that I could move in. It also has these features:
  • Side Bicep Velcro (for your Overland Bound Patch)
  • Sleeve and Bicep zip pockets
  • Silent close magnetic breast document pocket
  • Pull-out badge panel remains hidden until its need arises

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

I have the green version of that jacket and am very happy with it. I usually end up with a sweatshirt and Burton windbreaker to be honest though, but growing up in England and Wales Barbour is close to my heart so this is my fav when the weather gets rough:

Barbour Sapper Field Jacket

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
I have the green version of that jacket and am very happy with it. I usually end up with a sweatshirt and Burton windbreaker to be honest though, but growing up in England and Wales Barbour is close to my heart so this is my fav when the weather gets rough:

Barbour Sapper Field Jacket
barbour used to be great the solway zipper was the best but like all good brands they have transferred production to china not the barbour we all loved

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
I have many coats to many i hunt so use them in all weathers. Everthing from barbour, harkila, nomad , burghaus , rab , schofal , All good but have limitations , ive learnt there is no such thing as 100% waterproof

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I usually am in hoodie, but when things get really cold or rain I break out my circa 1991 Mountain Goat Ski parka. I bought it long enough ago that at the checkout register they had to key in the code and instead of charging me $280 they charged me $28. I said that I thought the price was wrong and they told me it was on sale. It has never let me down.

Last edited:

WillyGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salem, IN
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

I wear a dual layer Columbia. The guys make fun of me because the inside layer is reflective but I don't care. I've never been wet and I've always been warm.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: ASNOBODY

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I wear a dual layer Columbia. The guys make fun of me because the inside layer is reflective but I don't care. I've never been wet and I've always been warm.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Don't feel bad, my Mountain Goat parka is Black, Neon Pink And Green. I did say it was from the 90's

s-l225.jpg

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

I usually layer when Overlanding. Random shirt with an Arc'teryx light weight fleece for the cooler nights. If it's colder, I have a Mountain Hardwear medium weight fleece overtop and a hardshell rain jacket to top it off. If it super cold I'll wear my Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer down jacket. Most of this stuff is double duty for hiking too.

I used to wear a similar style Propper jacket but It wasn't as comfy nor as warm as this layering setup.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Not to be a thread killer, but...

@Michael has been asked countless times "What jacket do you wear?" on YouTube, Instagram, FaceBook, and here. I *think* his post was an answer to that question, not asking what folks wear.

With that in mind, in cool weather, I'm either wearing a ScottEVest Outback jacket or a non-name Carhartt knock-off hooded canvas jacket. When it is cold (below 0°F) I wear a Fjallraven Greenland #1 down jacket.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
If i am walking light weight fleece and berghaus anorack and leggings (winter) .
If am on qaud bit heaver gear am a sucker for buying out door hunting stuff so over the years ive filled my boot room ha ha , I've bought countless pairs of gloves claiming to be water proof. Seal skin, harkala etc all let me down my current pair of moutain eqipment leather ones seem to be holding up the north of england/wales weather is unforgiving and will test the best to the limitet RAIN !!!

Reactions: Michael

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

The jacket I wear the most right now is The North Face Thermoball Hoodie. It's a know extremely light and packable puffy. Now if it is cold and windy I will throw on my North Face Summit Series Leonidas. This has their HyVent 2.5L. Blocks wind really well but also breaths well too. Now if it is just rainy and above 40 I will wear just the Leonidas.

Reactions: SLO Rob and Michael

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I'm a layerer as well. Generally a thermal long sleeve, t-shirt, and right now my jacket is an old Eddie Bauer duck material jacket with removable fleece liner. We cleaned out a cabinet at work and it was in it. No one claimed it in a week so we divided up what we found. I have no idea how old it is and it shows some wear, but it works great for everything I've been through with it. I guess I've had it 2-3 years now and I'm going to wear it out. It buttons rather than zips which is nice since you can leave the bottom open when driving for a more comfortable fit and can easily be opened or closed wearing gloves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michael

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

In my vehicle I keep an REI waterproof shell with a zip in fleece liner with fingerless gloves and a neck gaitor in the pockets. I picked it up over 10 years ago and it has held up and served me well.

IMG_0827.JPG

Ej Martin

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gray, ME
Member #

I layer, and because I live in Maine, I have ll bean gear (plus I dig their life time guarantee on their stuff). Current mid later is their 850 down jacket. Plus I bring a gortex shell to put over it if super cold or I just need a rain jacket.

Reactions: NorthStar96