What is your must cook meal or must have food for camping.

• HTML tutorial

Red Beard

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mexia, Texas
Member #

What is that one meal that you must cook on a camping trip?
Also if you must have a certain food item for travel to a particular location what is it?

My must cook meal is my "Trail Tacos".
IMG_3280.JPG

Also I won't go to the beach without a peach. Something my grandfather started 30+ years ago when were kids and it stuck.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I usually do fajitas for one night. I either use my homemade disc or a big cast iron skillet depending on how many people I'm feeding. I've found that tortillas, bell peppers and onions etc...all travel well and the whole meal is pretty compact. If I don't have time to cook and clean i pre cook stuff and vacuumed seal and boil the bags for easy mess free cooking and cleaning while still eating a good meal. Some of the meals I've done this way are hamburgers, pulled pork, chili verde, leftover thanksgiving dinner, carne asada, and bacon egg and potatoes for burritos.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Jean Klaude The Jeep

Rank VI
Investor

Traveler III

Lexington, Henderson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Shelby
Member #

I always have to make a big breakfast. Eggs, cheese, bacon, sausage, hash browns or some sort of potatoes, and now pancakes (with the addition of the kids.) All those smells in the morning, especially when its cold, are one of our favorite things (after caffeine of course.)
Same here, Big Breakfast every morning, first thing on the stove is the large 36 cup coffee pot to make sure everyone gets a cup.

My wife has to have tacos at least one night of the trip.

Overland Bound Member #6080
Follow us on Facebook, and Instagram

IdahoGrizz

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buhl, ID
Member #

Tube steaks being boiled to oblivion on my single burner propane stove, ketchup, maybe a little shredded cheese. Vienna sausages straight out of the can come in a close 2nd. Ah simplicity. Lol
OMG, my cholesterol would shoot through the hospital roof. (sound good though)

Reactions: Red Beard

IdahoGrizz

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buhl, ID
Member #

Potato salad with pork and beans on the side. Steamed vegies in foil. Roasted corn on the cob. Full course hearty breakfast. Roll ups stuffed with all the good stuff for lunch on the trail. Kebabs.

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

We gotta do a Overland expedition with Red Beard and Litnercorey. Both you guys got me hungry. I said to my wife, we gotta go out with these guys. Between you guys and my wife's cooking, I'd need a Flatbed to get my fat ass back home!

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

I gotta say, I really hope we all meet some day or even better over on a multi week expedition.
Hey I was thinking....could start a group and call ourselves Expedition Eats....start a website and YouTube channel and show case our rigs, adventures etc focusing on good food , camping and adventures.
We can do a "Return to the Mackenzie - On a full stomach" 12 episode series....lol!!

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk