What is your favorite overland/camp stove?

• HTML tutorial

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
good old coleman dual burner stove, and a weber Q grill. With those two, you can eat like a king for every meal...

Mekcanix

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
First Name
John
Last Name
McLaughlin
Member #

I use a camp chef explorer 2 burner. its bigger and more cumbersome but we set it up in one location and throw the bbq box and a flat griddle and its golden. probably one of my favorite things for camping

MrChris

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Port Hueneme, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
March
Member #

Service Branch
Army Airborne Ranger
Coleman Triton stove and a Skottle...thats with the whole family going. If it's just me, just the Coleman, it handles everything I can throw at it

Reactions: Desert Runner

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I used a MSR Whisperlight International on bike packing and motorcycle trips with unleaded gas. No problems cooking backpacking meals, just boil water! I used the unleaded in my motorcycle when I ran short, that's why I didn't use white gas.
For car camping if I want to boil water I use my Kelly Kettle. It will cook for 1 on a top grill, but it's not designed for it.
I picked up a Coleman 2 burner white gas stove and used it, then converted it to propane by swapping the innards from an off brand propane stove.
Then I saw Dan Grec's video and tracked down a Coleman dual fuel single burner 533 stove, a couple of weeks ago. Hey, typically it's only me and I do 1 pan cooking anyway, I'm not Iron Chef material.
I wanted to get a diesel single burner 'cause that is what my Rover runs on and I would always have fuel. But I picked up a 5L NATO can for the Coleman fuel, that's about 1 and 1/3 gal.
I have a 5# propane tank and the 2 burner if I need it, but want to save the propane for the heater.

Here is how I converted the 2 burner to propane; white gas to propane cook stove conversion

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

If it's just me, I usually use a Trangia alcohol cook kit and a UCO grill.

If the family is along then Coleman comes out.
I recently bought a UCO grill and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

I have a Coleman 2 burner propane stove but have found that I can get by just fine with my single burner. I plumb it in to the 5 lb. cylinder on my trailer or Jeep with one of these ...

MENSI 3 Feet Hose with 12PSI High Pressure Regulator Connect 1LB Bottle for Coleman Propane Classic Powepack Camping Stove: Amazon.ca: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Stove - Coleman Single Burner.jpg

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I am a big fan of the coleman liquid fuel stoves as well-I have used a 414 one for years with 0 problems. Being a gear junkie however I have multiple stoves and end up using them all from time to time and trip to trip. For white gas the MSR Whisperlite is great as is the Coleman Sportster. I use the Firebox G2 quite a bit but always carry the Trangia butane/propane burner in the event dry fuel is not available. I do have an old Sears and a new Coleman propane but seem to use them less often, not really sure why.

All in all if you are traveling in North America all are great stoves as fuel is readily available and the real question is how big of a stove do you need-or as I expect a lot of us here would say-how many stoves do you need to always have the right one for each trip! 17 years ago I rode the motorcycle to the Arctic Circle (sadly mechanical issue kept me from making Deadhorse) using only the Coleman single burner that screw directly onto a 1 pound propane cylinder and had no issues at all but would not take that on a family outing.

International travel is more complex and I will leave that to those with more experience, but I do think there dual fuel Coleman or propane are the best choices from what I can tell.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I am a big fan of the coleman liquid fuel stoves as well-I have used a 414 one for years with 0 problems. Being a gear junkie however I have multiple stoves and end up using them all from time to time and trip to trip. For white gas the MSR Whisperlite is great as is the Coleman Sportster. I use the Firebox G2 quite a bit but always carry the Trangia butane/propane burner in the event dry fuel is not available. I do have an old Sears and a new Coleman propane but seem to use them less often, not really sure why.

All in all if you are traveling in North America all are great stoves as fuel is readily available and the real question is how big of a stove do you need-or as I expect a lot of us here would say-how many stoves do you need to always have the right one for each trip! 17 years ago I rode the motorcycle to the Arctic Circle (sadly mechanical issue kept me from making Deadhorse) using only the Coleman single burner that screw directly onto a 1 pound propane cylinder and had no issues at all but would not take that on a family outing.

International travel is more complex and I will leave that to those with more experience, but I do think there dual fuel Coleman or propane are the best choices from what I can tell.
Yes, Gear Junkie should be my handle. You got me thinking about all the ones I have. Multiples of alcohol, butane mix, white gas, propane, pretty sure there's some sterno around somewhere. Just mounted a 5 lb. cylinder for the two burner Coleman and carry a backpacking one for backup and hiking. I'm going to use an old Coleman three burner as an outside kitchen on the covered backporch. Some other one burners that are only used occasionally. Probably eight lanterns that work and a few that accumulated from who knows where. Now, knives, I seemed to have accumulated a few of those too. Then, there are four tents, five sleeping bags, nine or fifteen pair. boots, 18+ rods/reels, warehouse and shipping container with various tools, projects and more camping gear. I need to do like @Road and have some sales on stuff. There's a certain comfort being surrounded with ones stuff though. I might need one of those rocket stove thingys now... Oh, favorite stove is the one making me coffee in the morning!

Last edited:
Reactions: Road

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I used to use a coleman single flame gasoline stove. It has always worked well in all situations (cold, hot, altitude), there are spare parts for it, for example, when the membrane wears out.

About 8 years ago I tried something new and since then I use a Primus Gravity gas stove. Very simple, super light, small in pack size. It works perfectly, burns cleanly, gas bottles so far everywhere I was on the road available. And with the three-season gas or when it gets even colder, with the winter gas, it works perfectly even in cold weather (have used it to about minus 25 degrees Celsius, so about minus 12 degrees F). Had the stove also already on trips of several months daily in use, great quality and good function. Simple and good! What broke twice, was the piezo igniter, but for this I got a replacement part at a Canadian Tyre shop while on our overlanding trip through North America a couple of years ago. Meanwhile, the design of the igniter was also changed to my knowledge in the newer Primus gas stoves.

By the way, Primus recently had their "service for a reason" campaign, where broken equipment gets repaired for free if possible. A great initaitaive, because far too much is thrown away, even equipment that can still be repaired. I sent my stove in this iniative to Primus, am curious how it comes back. I will be happy to report if you are interested.

YES, and then I still like to cook and roast over the fire. For this we always have a fire bowl, a tripod with chain, hooks for the pot and a grill grate on board. Cooking over the fire is so much fun!

Reactions: Road and FishinCrzy

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

Yes, Gear Junkie should be my handle. You got me thinking about all the ones I have. Multiples of alcohol, butane mix, white gas, propane, pretty sure there's some sterno around somewhere. Just mounted a 5 lb. cylinder for the two burner Coleman and carry a backpacking one for backup and hiking. I'm going to use an old Coleman three burner as an outside kitchen on the covered backporch. Some other one burners that are only used occasionally. Probably eight lanterns that work and a few that accumulated from who knows where. Now, knives, I seemed to have accumulated a few of those too. Then, there are four tents, five sleeping bags, nine or fifteen pair. boots, 18+ rods/reels, warehouse and shipping container with various tools, projects and more camping gear. I need to do like @Road and have some sales on stuff. There's a certain comfort being surrounded with ones stuff though. I might need one of those rocket stove thingys now... Oh, favorite stove is the one making me coffee in the morning!
You last sentence says it all!

Last edited:

OverLamb24

Rank V

Advocate III

Spencerville, Maryland, United States
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Cordero
Member #

We have dual fuel Coleman stoves that we use in a 2 or 3 burner variety. We also have the propane adapter for them turning them into 3 fuel stoves. They just work and last forever. If something breaks they are easy to find parts for or replace.

For just boiled water we have various single burner backpacking stoves that use all sorts of fuels.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I used to use a coleman single flame gasoline stove. It has always worked well in all situations (cold, hot, altitude), there are spare parts for it, for example, when the membrane wears out.

About 8 years ago I tried something new and since then I use a Primus Gravity gas stove. Very simple, super light, small in pack size. It works perfectly, burns cleanly, gas bottles so far everywhere I was on the road available. And with the three-season gas or when it gets even colder, with the winter gas, it works perfectly even in cold weather (have used it to about minus 25 degrees Celsius, so about minus 12 degrees F). Had the stove also already on trips of several months daily in use, great quality and good function. Simple and good! What broke twice, was the piezo igniter, but for this I got a replacement part at a Canadian Tyre shop while on our overlanding trip through North America a couple of years ago. Meanwhile, the design of the igniter was also changed to my knowledge in the newer Primus gas stoves.

By the way, Primus recently had their "service for a reason" campaign, where broken equipment gets repaired for free if possible. A great initaitaive, because far too much is thrown away, even equipment that can still be repaired. I sent my stove in this iniative to Primus, am curious how it comes back. I will be happy to report if you are interested.

YES, and then I still like to cook and roast over the fire. For this we always have a fire bowl, a tripod with chain, hooks for the pot and a grill grate on board. Cooking over the fire is so much fun!
The Primus Gravity is a solid and stable looking little stove!

I like that it sits on it's own and is not perched atop the canister like so many backpack style stoves. Cool, too, you can get a multi-fuel kit to "upgrade to a liquid fuel stove for use with naphtha fuel and lead-free petrol, and even kerosene in emergencies." Use unleaded gas? If the kit lets you use kerosene in emergencies, too, I bet it would burn diesel as well if one really had to for survival.

This is the danger with some of these threads. Now I want one to experiment.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
The Primus Gravity is a solid and stable looking little stove!

I like that it sits on it's own and is not perched atop the canister like so many backpack style stoves. Cool, too, you can get a multi-fuel kit to "upgrade to a liquid fuel stove for use with naphtha fuel and lead-free petrol, and even kerosene in emergencies." Use unleaded gas? If the kit lets you use kerosene in emergencies, too, I bet it would burn diesel as well if one really had to for survival.

This is the danger with some of these threads. Now I want one to experiment.
Yes, exactly, in my experience the stove stands very securely and I also often use a larger pot or pan on it without any problems. The multifuel kit looks interesting, I have to take a closer look at what works with it and what does not and whether it would fit to my old stove at all.

Reactions: Road

DharmaBum

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Denver, Colorado, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Sniezak
Member #

I love the simplicity and price of my Coleman 2 burner. The lack of frills provides me with a [false] sense of security as it means there’s little to brake (ignition switches come to mind). I’ll be honest and say the burner controls and heat output could be better, but then you just have to look at the price to understand why that is. I’m intrigued by Camp Chef products and will probably explore getting a used unit in the future. But the trusty Coleman could possibly become a family heirloom—I’ve heard they can last quite long if cared for properly.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams

Oranger

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hastings, MN, USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZAU
I have a MSR Pocket Rocket as a portable and an old (nowhere near as old and used as many on this site) Coleman propane stove. They have served my needs so far.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
So for all who are interested: I had sent my stove in the context of this campaign. It was super fast back and top prepared, cleaned, new piezo igniter and runs like the first day! And that for a stove that is already about eight years old! That's what I call a super great service!