What is your favorite general purpose knot for overlanding?

• HTML tutorial

Wanderlost78

Rank II
Launch Member

Member II

Ashland, VA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Pyne
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4BKR
This is a fun series of knots to fiddle with. I keep about 4' of paracord and just practice them over and over.
Awesome video! I love the marlinskpike hitch. It's such a versatile knot. I knew 3 of those knots on the video,; now i know more. I'm also a big fan of an alpine butterfly and prusik. Loop on the end, loop in the middle, and a a cinch knot and you can tie down anything.

Reactions: Boort

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

A bowline, on or off the bight. It gives you a solid loop. It is nice that it will not overly tighten under load.

It can be used for rescue. Can be tied single handed with practice. Can be used for lashing.

There are not my videos but they are clear and short.

On a bight

Off a bight

PS I like a truckers hitch too. Great for putting canoes on the roof , but needs to be used with caution as it gives enough leverage to bend a boat.
Yep, best most useful knot ever, plus the half hitch.
DSCN2425.jpeg
50 years later I still recite "the rabbit come out the hole runs 'round the tree and goes back down the hole".
And then I go watch Alice in Wonderland again.

The figure eight plus the traced eight are the easiest knots to undo after a hard pull.

Last edited:
Reactions: Old Tanker

11B overland

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Maryland/WV
First Name
Josh
Last Name
W
Member #

Bowline and a clove hitch. There’s another one I use as a tension knot for rain flys and such but can’t remember the name.

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

Another knowledge resource for all you knotty people out there...

MegaBug

Rank VII
Launch Member

Influencer II

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

I have been a sailor since I was ”knee high to a bilge lizard” and was able to tie a bowline in the dark before I could walk :-) Obviously, that is my favourite knot and I use it regularly in camp (followed closely by ”two half hitches”).
BTW- does anyone else use the wrist flip to start the bowline, so the rabbit is already out of the hole?

Reactions: Apoclapedia

Contributor II

East Tennessee
First Name
James
Last Name
vvvvv
Figure 8 - follow thru or a double figure 8. I first learned it rock climbing, now I use and teach everybody it! It is easy to tie and easy to un tie no matter what kind of pull/force was put on it. Not to mention, if it is good enough for me falling off of a mountain it is good enough for my rig.
I'm quite partial to it's cousin, the "directional figure 8". I use it when lashing stuff inside my trailer. Form up a directional figure 8 to where I need it point, click in a carabineer, and then it acts as it own 2:1 pully. Makes for a super secure load. Way better than ratchet straps.

Apoclapedia

Rank IV

Advocate I

Moha, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I dont remember what its called but you take the rope, do three loops arpund your hand. Then you alternate weaving the outside loops underneath and to the center three times. What youre left with is a bowline with a loop. I use them all the time and they work on any size of cord or rope. Great for trucker sinches. You can reef on them and they still come undo easy.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I dont remember what its called but you take the rope, do three loops arpund your hand. Then you alternate weaving the outside loops underneath and to the center three times.
Sounds like an Alpine Butterfly.
They show it tied about the hand differently than I was taught (more like this https://www.survivalkit.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/butterfly-lg.jpg) but still loops around the hand then pull through for a secure and easy to untie mid-line loop. I also use it as the start of a truckers hitch.

Boort

Reactions: Apoclapedia