What is your favorite general purpose knot for overlanding?

• HTML tutorial

Dave Decker

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Paradise Hills, NM
Member #

In overlanding there are numerous applications for knots from lashing gear to setting up tents and many other things. What is your favorite general purpose knot, why, and how do you tie it? Here is my contribution:

Prusik knot. I like this knot because it is multi-purpose. It can be used to tighten down a rope used for lashing down your gear, it can be used on a tent guy-line for tightening, and if you're a caver or climber, it can be used to climb ropes!

I've attached a file that explains how to tie the knot. It can also be tied from the bitter end, meaning it doesn't need to be in a loop to work.

Attachments

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

A bowline, on or off the bight. It gives you a solid loop. It is nice that it will not overly tighten under load.

It can be used for rescue. Can be tied single handed with practice. Can be used for lashing.

There are not my videos but they are clear and short.

On a bight

Off a bight

PS I like a truckers hitch too. Great for putting canoes on the roof , but needs to be used with caution as it gives enough leverage to bend a boat.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@XJinBC
A bowline, on or off the bight. It gives you a solid loop. It is nice that it will not overly tighten under load.
It can be used for rescue. Can be tied single handed with practice. Can be used for lashing.
PS I like a truckers hitch too. Great for putting canoes on the roof , but needs to be used with caution as it gives enough leverage to bend a boat.
Modified Truckers Hitch with a Bowline for the upper Figure 8 Knot. Or sometimes Modified Truckers Hitch with a Alpine Butterfly for the Figure 8 Knot if it is a large/heavy load and I need symmetrical pressure on the upper loop. Also good if you don't know where you'll need the upper loop placed.

@Dave Decker
If you're a fan of the Prusk check out the 4 / 1 Distel. Great for bringing up gear as you climb with the Prusk. Learned it when my uncle used it on a sailboat to safely bring a tool bag up to repair a damaged pulley.

Boort

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Taut line hitch is what I use the most. Bowline and the figure 8 family follows.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Got taught what they called the wagon hitch when i was a kid on a farm way before these straps i used it all my life but find it hard to show people as iam left handed and right handed i can not tie it lol my other fave is a bowline I sail so use quite a lot , i like tying old rope turks heads and monkeys fists etc and love splicing some thing soothing about knots and splicing My podger is allways ready :yum:

LVCoffeeguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

North Las Vegas, Nevada
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Monson
Member #

Figure 8 - follow thru or a double figure 8. I first learned it rock climbing, now I use and teach everybody it! It is easy to tie and easy to un tie no matter what kind of pull/force was put on it. Not to mention, if it is good enough for me falling off of a mountain it is good enough for my rig.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@blackntan
Got taught what they called the wagon hitch when i was a kid on a farm way before these straps i used it all my life but find it hard to show people as iam left handed and right handed i can not tie it lol my other fave is a bowline I sail so use quite a lot , i like tying old rope turks heads and monkeys fists etc and love splicing some thing soothing about knots and splicing My podger is allways ready :yum:
LOL... My mom is left handed and back in the day was asked to teach a Macrame class. Frustration and Hilarity ensued!

Boort

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
My two main knots are the Trucker's Hitch and the Prusik. There's also a simply loop I use for securing our canopy at the beach but I'm not familiar with the name. I've been studying and playing with Amsteel splicing techniques as well. I try to get my kids involved and the oldest and I have made a few Whoopie slings for our hammocks as well as a bunch of continuous loops for securing gear to my roof rack since my straps don't all have enough slack on the mechanism end to wrap around the big tubes they used on the Xterras.

This kind of stuff is what I attempt to study during my down time. I'm not one to idly watch YouTube for the cat videos. I'm generally watching something that engages me mentally and teaches me a skill unless it's off-road videos.

Overland Commander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Woodstock, Cherokee County, Georgia, United States
First Name
Randell
Last Name
Beck
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2QMS - The Commander
Service Branch
USN

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

I am still learning how to use knots. I know the truckers hitch, mooring hitch, bowline, butterfly and standard hitches. These come in handy when tying down a kayak to the roof rack.