What front diff setup should i use

• HTML tutorial

GrandTaquito

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey so im pretty new to offroading and im even newer to the overlanding thing. So i understand that a rear locker is pretty much essectial for a good offroading rig. I however have a few questions about the front. For starters if I have a locker in the front and manual locking hubs will I be able to drive around fine if i have the hubs unlocked? Second i don't plan to do any crazy stuff like jumping dunes or anything, My main goal would be to run moderate trails aroud the phoenix area and at the most maybe to the Rubicon Trail at somepoint down the line. Ide appreciate any info that could be provieded or advice on what kind of front end to use, Locker, LSD that kind of stuff. Also if im re-gearing do i need to use the exact same ratio front and back or can there be slight deviation. Thanks again!

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
You’ll likely get a lot of opinions on this.

I’ll start off with the easy one. Yes, you have to have the same gear ratio front and rear. In my experience, a large number of off roaders are undergeared because it’s not a sexy investment. If you are putting on tires larger than stock, you likely need to regear.

Yes, if you have a front manual hubs and drive around with them unlocked you will be fine but if you are in 4H or 4L on dry surfaces you will still likely get the wheel hop in the front.

Do you need one? Well, only you can answer that. I have had jeeps with only rear lockers and I’ve had jeeps with both. My current F150 is a rear locker. I rarely ever used the front lockers, like, I can count on my two hands how many times. I found that with how and where I drive they just weren’t needed. Driving technique was far more valuable. This is my opinion only.

Lockers aren’t really made for jumping dunes, it’s more to control wheel slip. The Rubicon Trail you can do with or without, will it be better to have front lockers, probably. Many do it without.

Just my .02

Reactions: ohiowrangler

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

I agree with Cort. If you have to have a locker in the front, make it a selectable. Lockers ie; detroits will increase your turning radius, on technical trails this can be a PITA. I have detroits in both ends of my jeep. Ron

Reactions: Cort

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

And lockers really aren't a necessity for going off road .picking good lines knowing how to drive your rig will actually get you further than a locker with no experience ever will. a locker can actually get you in more trouble and more stuck . If you're just getting into off-roading I would actually suggest recovery gear and time behind the wheel before dumping a bunch of money into drivetrain components.

GrandTaquito

Rank 0

Traveler I

Thanks for the replies! i appreciate your detailed response Cort, Helped clear things up a bit. Smiley thats very true, i do as much offroading as i can and am working on getting seat time. what would recovery gear entail? A winch, straps and the like? Also would a limited slip be better for the front as far as turning radius and general drive ability goes?

Junktj

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Boone NC
First Name
michael
Last Name
ward
I guess I will add a few bits of my limited knowledge .....

Technically the front and rear ring and pinion gears do not have to be the same. An example is my jeep from the factory came with 4.11 ratio in the front and 4.10 in the rear.

To awnser you second question, a front locker helps in most situations , but going by your profile pic I would hold off on that while you have stock cv shafts in the front of your ranger.

When and if you ever decide to do a solid axle swap on the front I would definitely add a locker.

My advice for the time being would be to add a lunch box locker to the rear (the factory 8.8 rearend should be more than stout enough to handle it) add necessary recovery gear, and figure out what tools and spare parts you need to have fun offroad.

Just my opinion...

Last edited:

GrandTaquito

Rank 0

Traveler I

Okay thats good info, Im actually using a bronco the pic is of my ranger but I plan to modify the bronco for offroading so how strong are the TTB front ends? should I be concerned and upgrade it

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

A limited slip like a Detroit True Trac is an excellent choice for the front end. Most of the traction benefits of a locker but none of the terrible on road attributes.

SpikeMD

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Granite Bay, CA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Speicher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ6SPK
I would advocate a selectable lock in the front as well, but as mentioned, you may not need it. A winch is much more valuable and much better at actually getting you out of a situation where you are stuck. With a rear locker already, money is better spent on winch, winch bumper, sliders, skid plates, kinetic strap, shackles, tires, and upgrading your drivetrain (CVs/axles).

Tires are your single best upgrade on any vehicle.

Junktj

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Boone NC
First Name
michael
Last Name
ward
Okay thats good info, Im actually using a bronco the pic is of my ranger but I plan to modify the bronco for offroading so how strong are the TTB front ends? should I be concerned and upgrade it
Is it a full size Bronco or a Bronco II ?

And I guess your choices really come down to budget. The labor to have someone install a full case locker isn't cheap, that is assuming you aren't regearing at the same time and that you aren't able to set up the ring and pinion yourself.

GrandTaquito

Rank 0

Traveler I

Its a Full Size, I would hope to do the installs myself aswell. It sounds like doing a lunchbox locker in back and a LSD in front would be my best bet. Im also on 33's so I think ill wait for a regear when I move up to 35's. is a full carrier harder to install than a lunchbox? ive installed an LSD before but that was on my old Foxbody not sure if that helps.

Junktj

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Boone NC
First Name
michael
Last Name
ward
Its a Full Size, I would hope to do the installs myself aswell. It sounds like doing a lunchbox locker in back and a LSD in front would be my best bet. Im also on 33's so I think ill wait for a regear when I move up to 35's. is a full carrier harder to install than a lunchbox? ive installed an LSD before but that was on my old Foxbody not sure if that helps.
A full size should have a dana 44 front center section and 8.8 rear end. Both should be strong enough to handle a locker and 33s.
The big difference between a lunch box locker and full case locker or Lsd is that the ring and pinion will have to be reset with the full case diffs. If you have never done this i wouldn't advise it without help, and it takes several special tools.
It's also very time consuming if you aren't experienced in it.

My advice would be a lunch box locker for the rear, which is fairly easy to install. And leave the front open untill you decide to regear.

Or if budget allows have someone install a selectable locker in the rear for better street manners.