Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Right now I am simply using Google maps on my cell phone but as we all know that's not really reliable for off road travel. That being said, I am buying myself the dual bluetooth gps locator and a ram tablet mount to mount my 7" android tablet in my truck, and I'll load an off road gps program on the tablet.. So I am asking what do you use, and if you use a tablet of phone what is your preferred app for off road travel?

E

expeditionnorth

I am always using multiple devices depending upon my mood or what I'm doing
lately its the delorme PN 20 on a ram mount, which I add in conjuction with my magellan 1700 roadmate
2013-08-04 10.55.51.jpg
in the past I used my notebook with Delorme topo 6.0 and a pharos gps puck, it was insane having a 15.22" gps screen, nothing beat the detail

OverlandHiker

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger II

Livermore, CA
First Name
Bennett
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6LPD
I like having two GPS going when I'm out. One is my Garmin GPSmap 62s and the other is an iPad Mini running GaiaGPS connected to a Bad Elf Bluetooth GPS receiver. This combination lets me have high resolution mapping in the vehicle and also grab-n-go mapping with the Garmin.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Search for Gaia, Hema, Android Tablet, Bad Elf, Dual GPS and you will get lots of threads on this topic. Not trying to be a jerk but it helps to keep topics within existing threads. This way all of the good info is contained in one area. Requires less searching and lost information across a bunch of threads.

Me: iOS Gaia GPS Pro much more well rounded app than Hema but Hema is a copy of Gaia missing a few things.

They may one day equal each other but Hema hasn't been updated since release in May.

Delorme InReach for safety and GPS for iPad.

Ram Mounts Galore

Other Apps at my disposal: Avenza PDF Maps, Motion X, Pocket Earth, Maps.me, Waze probably a couple others I'm forgetting.

Because you said you were buying an android tablet you can look at Gaia GPS, Hema, Orux Maps, Backcountry Navigator to name a few. Again all of these solutions have been discussed in other threads.

2 small X-grip mounts for phone, Delorme, Ham Radio whatever I want. My rig has two mobile units but I have have some handhelds and those yellow Motorola FRS radios. So having options to lock stuff down when on dirt is helpful.

For my iPad

Last edited:
Reactions: expeditionnorth

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
@1Louder do you have a build thread or another post that details more of your radio/gps setup? I'd love to see more, especially how you're handling APRS. I've got a Kenwood D710g in the truck and I'm looking at getting an InReach and iPad for a larger display of Gaia, and possibly APRS mapping. Thanks!

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
@1Louder do you have a build thread or another post that details more of your radio/gps setup? I'd love to see more, especially how you're handling APRS. I've got a Kenwood D710g in the truck and I'm looking at getting an InReach and iPad for a larger display of Gaia, and possibly APRS mapping. Thanks!
You can see what I have written at 4XOA.com. I don't have anything on APRS yet. Or at least I don't remember if I have written anything yet. I am about to though. I tried using a Baofeng radio and software like APRSDroid or APRSPro for and was not impressed. I need to do a write up on that.

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

I did a review on our GPS hardware that we run in our rig here: http://overlandf150.com/our-gps-hardware-review/

as far as software goes I havnt really found one that I like the best.. so far I have triad Gia GPS, Backcountry and Leadnav. Currently trying the Magellan TRX and my Delorme earthmate app..

-Raul

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I did a review on our GPS hardware that we run in our rig here: http://overlandf150.com/our-gps-hardware-review/

as far as software goes I havnt really found one that I like the best.. so far I have triad Gia GPS, Backcountry and Leadnav. Currently trying the Magellan TRX and my Delorme earthmate app..

-Raul
I like the Magellan but it's not cheap. I am thinking a tablet with perhaps the california trails maps app.?? Gotta do some research..

E

expeditionnorth

Search for Gaia, Hema, Android Tablet, Bad Elf, Dual GPS and you will get lots of threads on this topic. Not trying to be a jerk but it helps to keep topics within existing threads. This way all of the good info is contained in one area. Requires less searching and lost information across a bunch of threads.

Me: iOS Gaia GPS Pro much more well rounded app than Hema but Hema is a copy of Gaia missing a few things.

They may one day equal each other but Hema hasn't been updated since release in May.

Ram Mounts Galore

Other Apps at my disposal: Avenza PDF Maps, Motion X, Pocket Earth, Maps.me, Waze probably a couple others I'm forgetting.

Because you said you were buying an android tablet you can look at Gaia GPS, Hema, Orux Maps, Backcountry Navigator to name a few. Again all of these solutions have been discussed in other threads.

2 small X-grip mounts for phone, Delorme, Ham Radio whatever I want. My rig has two mobile units but I have have some handhelds and those yellow Motorola FRS radios. So having options to lock stuff down when on dirt is helpful.

For my iPad
nice gear collection

Do you like the delorme inreach? I've thought about one

Overland 505

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Member #

I use Gaia on my iPad and Avenza for MVUMs. I bought Hema but they have yet to update it. It's basically a clone of Gaia though. Gaia is updated all of the time though.

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

I use a Delorme inReach with iPad and Earthmate app. I travel alone so the communication feature is very nice when I'm out of cell range and need to check in. Also, my wife who can't travel with me can follow my progress from her computer at home. Gives her peace of mind when I'm off doing silly stuff. The SOS feature gives me piece of mind when I leave the rig to fish or hike. Kind of like having a "I've fallen and I can't get up" unit. So far the navigation and map detail have been just fine. I carry paper maps for everywhere I travel, but the detail has been just fine. DeLorme is offering $50 savings right now if users refer a friend. I've passed it on to friends that have seen mine in action.

Here's a write up I did a while back and shared elsewhere on this forum.

Is this the most cutting edge navigation tool? Nope. But does your GPS allow people to track your location, text message or call for help when you really need it? Maybe the DeLorme would compliment what you already have.

The bottom line is my wife loves it because she can follow along and imagine what I'm seeing and doing, even though she can't leave the house. I get to take her along everywhere I go. For me that's worth every penny.

DeLorme.jpg

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
I also use my InReach SE mated to the Earthmate app on my iPad. I use paper maps heavily but its good to have this to find where we are on a map. I don't use the trip planning or bread crumbs, waypoint finding stuff. I don't download or upload any tracks etc. Just need to see where I am, on a map.

Reactions: LandPirate

dagen

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oakland, CA
Member #

Right now I am simply using Google maps on my cell phone but as we all know that's not really reliable for off road travel. That being said, I am buying myself the dual bluetooth gps locator and a ram tablet mount to mount my 7" android tablet in my truck, and I'll load an off road gps program on the tablet.. So I am asking what do you use, and if you use a tablet of phone what is your preferred app for off road travel?
I use a Garmin Montana 680 that was a recent upgrade from a Garmin Oregon. I like being able to add different topo maps that I may need, plotting a course from my computer and then uploading it to the GPS, and adding waypoints on the fly. I also like how if I want to get out of the truck and venture around on foot it's a reasonable sized device to

Mudcrawler

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Maastricht, Netherlands
Member #

I currently use my iphone 6plus with software from sygic.
My wifes iphone is used with roadtracks to record our route and as a backup phone..
As emergency unit I ordered a delorme inreach SE.
In group comm is by CB, a Cobra with firestick antenna.

Cheers,

Bart

hjason.hay

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

US

Ram Mounts Galore

For my iPad
What app is that waiting on the APRS link?

Sent from my SM-N910V using OB Talk mobile app