What does everyone use for water storage?

• HTML tutorial

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Hey, so I usually use a 5 gallon Reliance AquaPak for storing water but I hate lugging the thing around campgrounds to refill it and it usually only gets me about 2 -3 days off grid. So I am interested in seeing what everyone else uses for vehicle or trailer/camper ( I know most campers will have a mounted tank somewhere but maybe some of the teardrop guys can chime in).
here is a picture of my rigs. they aren't glamorous or expensive and no cool gear but they work for what I need them for lol.
135526364_460057038337005_9177567285634777347_n.jpg 13 Camp Crawl Photo Brad Morris.jpeg1640999992472.png

Advocate I

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
10 gallon tank in my tear drop and up to three 5gal Scepter's that can be mounted on (or in) my Cruiser. Dispensing from the Scepters is either usb faucet with filter, set on top of trailer with hose and valve (more water pressure) or just pour. Proximity to water is how I decide what I bring. In my old Jeeps I would use the water cubes (forgot name). They were easier to secure for hard core trails.
I have a canvas bucket with a spout. Folds up flat and makes it way easier to fill from streams.

Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland

Advocate I

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

10 gallon tank in my tear drop and up to three 5gal Scepter's that can be mounted on (or in) my Cruiser. Dispensing from the Scepters is either usb faucet with filter, set on top of trailer with hose and valve (more water pressure) or just pour. Proximity to water is how I decide what I bring. In my old Jeeps I would use the water cubes (forgot name). They were easier to secure for hard core trails.
I have a canvas bucket with a spout. Folds up flat and makes it way easier to fill from streams.
Is the tank in the tear drop a built in tank?

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I use the Scepter 5 gal for general carry and have rigged up a valve and spout to use for camp. I also carry some sort of filtration (MSR or Platypus) and use those as much as possible to reduce need to carry so much water.

AnthonyBroussard

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Lafayette, Lafayette Parish, Louisiana, United States
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Broussard
Member #

I use 3 five gallon buckets 2 with drinking water and one with tap water. I bolted down 3 three gallon buckets to a platform and placed the five gallon ones inside the empty three gallon buckets. I used a 12 volt pump with a quick connection hose for easy dispersal.

Attachments

loper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

I have two of the 5 gallon "water cube" cans under my counter (one supply, one for the sink drain), and another one in the back storage. Gives me 10 gallons, plus we usually bring some bottled water.
The pictures show a mock-up while I was building it, and the finished counter.counter frame.jpgint3.jpg

Advocate I

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

For a car it would be cool to have a faucet at the bottom of that tank to fill pans, bottles etc.
That is not the only link out there but a hundo for a 20+gallon tank aint bad. LOL
Zim
Unfortunately the same thing here would cost twice as much before any shipping charges ( if there would be any) usually its the shipping that kills us here lol. but I looked through that site, found their " we ship to Canada" and it looks like similar tanks are $200 + ( couldnt find the exact same tank) then add tax ( 15% ) and ... well its not worth it anymore lol.

Advocate I

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I have two of the 5 gallon "water cube" cans under my counter (one supply, one for the sink drain), and another one in the back storage. Gives me 10 gallons, plus we usually bring some bottled water.
The pictures show a mock-up while I was building it, and the finished counter.View attachment 219183View attachment 219184
Nice! similar to what I use now .... just without the sink lol.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I take 2 5 gal MWC's to the desert. I have modified 1 lid with a human powered pump, so I can swap lids when necessary.
Here's how I did it.;

Military Water Carrier, MWC, faucet

Usually I don't fill the cans at home I wait until the nearest town before going offroad, Saves fuel transporting weight.
I have a 2 gal garden sprayer, also human powered, for kitchen and showers;

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I saw the waterport this weekend and am intrigued, anyone out there using them?
You can easily turn your Scepter can into one if those. Buy an extra lid and mod it. I have a couple of lids I've moded for diffrent purposes.

Reactions: Advtres