What dodge ram models should I be keeping an eye out for?

• HTML tutorial

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

So I am in the market for a second vehicle I want a truck and the wife wants an SUV so we compromised and are going to get an SUV.... No, since we don't have the money to be too picky, 10k to 13k CAD, we are looking at everything that fits this criteria; 4 door, 4x4 (in an off roady kind of way), LSD or Locker, 5000lbs towing. Little issue I live on an island and it costs about 50$ to leave it, and vehicles on island are noticeably more money than those off island. This leaves me doing a lot of internet shopping which is where the problem is. I know chevy likes the LSD and anything generally with a Z has one (Z71, LTZ, etc..) Ford Nissan have lockers and when looking through pictures you can see the button somewhere on the dash. Toyota not sure but I think TRD and SR5 means they have something off roady in them. But... what about Dodge? Did some googling on Dodge/Ram trims and what they have in way of locker, LSD, skid plates, etc... Other than the Rebel I have no idea what trims have off road additions and I was wondering if anyone here knows dodge well enough to tell me what trim levels I should be looking for. I want to have a good idea of what I am looking at before I spend 50$ plus gas to go look.
I know if I have to I can buy something that is more "base model" and add stuff over time, but if I can find something at a trim level that already has some of those features I will be that much a head.

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

I am actually asking about Trim levels like; Tradesmen, Outdoorsmen, SLT, or Rebel (hah! Like a rebel is in my future lol), not necessarily generation or age. I am not really a Dodge person, other than Charger, Hell Cat and Rebel I am pretty ignorant to what trim levels are what. Most importantly, what each time level has equipped and what it is worth.

Reactions: M Rose

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Your post is a bit confusing, lol. But if your Budget is only 10 to 13k canadian...you choice for a RAM with a locker is very slim. The Powerwagon introduced in 2006 is the first RAM to come fsctory with a locker...but even an 06 in decent shape will be quite north of 10k
The 2019 DT RAM 1500 is the first to get a rear locker in the light Duty truck.

That said...of course you can add lockers...and quite a few RAM trucks are equipped with an anti-spin rear.

2nd Gens had an Offroad package...but it was really just a lift, bigger wheels and tires and upgraded shocks.

Third gens had the TRXx4 package but it was the same.

Trims for those years were ST SLT Sport Laramie.

The 4th Gens also have offroad package and Snow chief package.

Tradesman is the base model...but some of the options are very hard and some almost impossible to add.

Bighorn is next and then Laramie, Laramie Longhorn and limited.

Of course the 1500 has the Rebel and the 2500 had the Powerwagon.

The Warlock on the 2019 Classic is an awesome starter truck for going towards a Rebel...but 3 times the budget of 13k.

Any specific questions I would be glad to answer.

I am a bit of a RAM fanatic. They are all I own...I currently have a 2nd Gen, 3rd Gen and 4th Gen. I just sold my 2 1st Gens a couple years ago. Shouldn't have done that.

Reactions: WAYAWAY

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Dodge trim levels don’t have anything to do with mechanical aspects of the rig. The nicer the trim level, the more bells and whistles inside... the only exception is the powerwagon. It has electric lockers, winch, lift, and larger tires from the factory.
there was however a Second and Third Generation Durango that had a racing package with LSD, but to my knowledge it was offered in 2wd only.

Reactions: DevilDodge

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

Ok, I didn't even know Dodge used lockers I thought they were all LSD. By the sounds of things the sub 200k 2008-2013 rams I am seeing are all base models and likely only have 4x4 in terms of off road equipment. Honestly I am seeing more Fords/GM/Chevy models in my range with lower kms. My budget is too tight to be picky as I said and I might have to come up a bit too if my expectations are exceeding my budget. What would you say is a reasonable price for a mid level 4x4 1500 4 door under 180k kms?

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

Dodge trim levels don’t have anything to do with mechanical aspects of the rig. The nicer the trim level, the more bells and whistles inside... the only exception is the powerwagon. It has electric lockers, winch, lift, and larger tires from the factory.
there was however a Second and Third Generation Durango that had a racing package with LSD, but to my knowledge it was offered in 2wd only.
Oh, I figured Didge had a Z71 or FX4 type package that added light off road equipment. I am not into getting something like a Power Wagon, aside from simply not being able to afford it, I don't need a truck that big. Like 4runner, Tahoe, Yukon, Explorer, Suburban, Xterra, Pathfinder, etc.. type SUV's are more than adequate for my towing needs it just seems as though trucks run a little cheaper. In a Ford and Chev I have half an idea as to what I am looking at but Dodge... not so much that is why I am asking. I don't want my ignorance to lead me away from what might be a good deal.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
It really depends on what generation you want. A 2nd Gen can still pull an asking price of 15k. Some 3rd Gens are still in the high 20k range.

20190307_174950.jpg

I just bought this a year ago. I paid 19k for it. It is a Tradesman. It doesn't even have satellite radio. Only options are tow mirrors and chrome. Has vinyl seats.

It is exactly what I wanted (other than white) but I had to search hard for it and had to act fast.

20171021_133302.jpg
This is my 2nd Gen. You can see the rust has taken its toll. This is a Sport. It is an offroad type package. But it only has an anti-spin (what you are calling a LSD)

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

Well, I am looking for the best I can get for the money I have... This is 2012 w/ 106k kms in Montreal for $12995 says it is a 4x4 Hemi, thats it. Being in Montreal it is a good drive away so I would want to be sure it is what I want before going out there.
1582336847242.png

On the other hand there is a 2009 4runner w/ 135k kms for 1300 OBO in Fredericton, a little closer and it is a 4runner (happy wife...)
Or...
A 2010 FX4 w/ 131k at $12490 2010 Ford F-150 FX4- 131000km | Cars & Trucks | Oakville / Halton Region | Kijiji
And a myraid of variousChevy/GMC Z trucks (Avalanche, Sierra, Silverado, Yuk\Tah\Sub etc..)
So the Dodge looks good but I know the FX4 has a locker and skid plates from the pics all it really looks to need is some tail gate repair.
That is kinda what I am seeing. I also seen 2 Titans with 170k ish kms in my range.
Last month, before I spoke to the bank... naturally, I seen an FX4 with low kms 2011 3.5L for $13000ish, needless to say it didn't last long.
Does that give you an idea of what I have been seeing and generally considering? I suppose I should also mention my idea of "Off Road" is slick muddy trails, some deep spots, ruts, and steep dirt/icy hills. Not so much rock crawling or large deep stretches of mud. Basically if it is good in the snow on the streets and can manage a woodland trail, with or without ice and snow, it will likely do.

Attachments

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

nothing good ever comes out of montreal...i'd check out the 4runner in fredericton
I don't know about that, I seem to recall a few good things when I was in Saint Jean.... lol
Seriously though the 4runner would make my wife happy, and that in itself is something. Then again, so would the Dodge, truth be told she is the one who is hoping that if it has to be a truck let it be a dodge. I just want to make the best decision for the money.

Last edited:
Reactions: grubworm

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I don't know about that, I seem to recall a few good things when I was in Saint Jean.... lol
Seriously though the 4runner would make my wife happy, and that in itself is something. Then again, so would the Dodge, truth be told she is the one who is hoping that if it has to be a truck let it be a dodge. I just want to make the best decision for the money.
I have owned 2 (still own 1) Second Gen Rams. When the first one died from cancer I had no choice but to buy a second one. I have had quite a few Ford over the years out of necessity, not out of want... and I am torn between finishing building out my Bronco, or selling it to put the money to a new engine for the Ram...300,000 miles on the old girl, and still almost looks factory new... if I hadn’t put my trailer through the rear quarter panel... doh..
That all said. I’m looking at getting my wife a 4Runner in the next week or two...another reason to get rid of the Bronco and go back to the Ram.