Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I run CB and GMRS/FRS depending on the group I'm traveling with and sometimes both simultaneously. I have a couple/few FRS/GMRS handhelds for myself or others to use. When I have time to study and take the test I may add HAM in the future. The nice thing about both CB and GMRS is the zero learning curve to operate them. We used CB primarily on our convoy to Expo and it actually worked really well for our roughly 15 vehicle convoy.
The new Midland MXT series GMRS radios with output wattage in 5, 15 or 40 watt models is looking pretty good to me and I will probably add one of these to the arsenal before I go down the HAM road.
Again, for me it's just for trail comms, once I get where I am going, I just want to disconnect and enjoy the sounds of nature.

SpikeMD

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Granite Bay, CA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Speicher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ6SPK
HAM does require a license, but once I got it, I threw my CB out the window. No comparison. Would rather shout out the window than use a CB again. HAM has superior distance, clarity and no radio-mumbo-jumbo that you hear on CB frequencies which I was surprised about. The only basic protocol is stating your HAM call sign every 15 min or so and then you talk normally. The licensing process is easy and only takes a day of your time to complete. Check local HAM groups or online to do it. At first, it may sound daunting to get a license, but its well worth it.

I will look into extending the license to FRS/GMRS if it covers family members. What is the range on the FRS/GMRS compared to HAM on the Baofengs? The FRS 'walkie talkies' are a joke. Less than a mile on the '30 mile' units.

hjason.hay

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

US
HAM does require a license, but once I got it, I threw my CB out the window. No comparison. Would rather shout out the window than use a CB again. HAM has superior distance, clarity and no radio-mumbo-jumbo that you hear on CB frequencies which I was surprised about. The only basic protocol is stating your HAM call sign every 15 min or so and then you talk normally. The licensing process is easy and only takes a day of your time to complete. Check local HAM groups or online to do it. At first, it may sound daunting to get a license, but its well worth it.

I will look into extending the license to FRS/GMRS if it covers family members. What is the range on the FRS/GMRS compared to HAM on the Baofengs? The FRS 'walkie talkies' are a joke. Less than a mile on the '30 mile' units.
It all depends on if you're going through a repeater or on simplex. Most hand held radios are 5watts. FRS is supposed to be 0.5 watts but the Baofengs and similar Chinese radios are not in compliance with FCC part 95 regulations.

Ham 2m/70cm, FRS, GMRS, and MURS are FM so think line of sight when you think distance. Add a repeater to the mix and that can greatly increase your range. I hope that helps.

For long range comms use HF. I talked to Slovenia yesterday from Tennessee on my drive home on 100 watts. The week before it was Norway on 20 watts.

Reactions: APtrail2005

WTAGP

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

camas, wa
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I use CB and HAM radio. My experience is most use CB because it is easier to switch "channels". Ham radio you need to learn how to switch "frequency's'. Most that I know use the computer to load the frequency's (repeaters) onto their radios and do not learn how to manually program a frequency (for repeaters) while out in the field. Programming a simplex frequency is easy and is much better to use than a CB. When we plan a Jeep event most if not everyone has CB's. So, between CB's, FSR's, and Ham radios, there are ways to communicate vehicle to vehicle.

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
I use both so I can run with just about anybody. Still outstanding for me is GMRS and FRS, which I hope to add in the future.

In the truck I run the FT7900 and a basic Cobra CB. I carry a cheapo Wouxun portable which is handy during hikes because it'll listen to FM radio to pass the time.

I'm excited in the future to get my general ticket so I can work QRP as we camp or overland, I'll likely upgrade to DMR capabilities in the future as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SGT.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

COACHELLA VALLEY, CALIF.
Member #

use a CB quick and easy. Family can take the vehicle and use it when they have it. Never had a problem with range and communicating I guess I'm not that into it to move up to HAM when CB has done fine and fit my needs.

WTAGP

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

camas, wa
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Great comment regarding the logging roads. The Tillamook State Forest is a working forest. CB's are used on the forest roads where the log trucks, gravel trucks, and machinery are used. Those roads have designated CB Chanel's. Narrow Steep roads can make for a hazardous situations with head on loaded trucks.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

GMRS/FRS & 2m/70cm - Honestly, CB is garbage. Got rid of that awhile ago.

I've grown fond of GMRS/FRS for groups because of overlap. There are a few channels there that overlap meaning you can have guys with a license talking to folks who show up with a cheap hand held.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I have a CB to throw in the Jeep when needed because that is the main for of communications used by local off roaders, though I much prefer the VHF/UHF, APRS, and HF radios I run daily. Ham radio isn't for everyone, people don't like test (as easy as they are) but would really like to see offroaders move to GMRS (would be nice if they did away with the license as well). For wheelers who are not radioliterate the GMRS antenna is small enough to mount virtually anywhere and have adequate ground plane which is probably the biggest issue I see with most general users. The most important part of the system is mounted in a place that looks good, on insufficient metal mass and is far too short to do much good.

Last edited:
Reactions: TOMB and TerryD

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

i recently went on an adventure with 7 trucks and 2 motorbikes. communication was an issue. some of us had cbs. some had programmable vhf (had to be programmed before the trip) and others had vhf you could select any frequency. each had benefits and drawbacks, but what i came away with was next time we all need the same thing. i don't feel it really would have mattered what it was, but all being able to talk and hear (within range of course) with each other would have been a game changer. relying on 1 person to relay messages from cb to vhf and vice versa was a downer. cbs are cheap and next trip, everyone will have one.

the moral of the story... find out what your trip partners have and get that. no use in talking to yourself.

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

I run a CB, since that is what most people in my area use for off-road. I also have a pair of FRS handhelds. If I go HAM, I'll likely go with something like the Boafeng,

VociferousSky

Rank 0

Traveler I

I've got a dedicated GMRS rig (reprogrammed commercial Kenwood radio), an Icom ID-5100A 2m/70cm unlocked to also run on GMRS frequencies, plus adding a CB in the center console. You never know when/what you'll need. The CB antenna is removed and strapped to the inside roll cage, since I don't use it much and the Jeep won't fit in the garage with it on. And I never use it.

Although I hope CB goes away...

squishware

Rank III

Advocate II

Redwood City, CA, USA
First Name
batman
Last Name
jones
I am in this thread deciding which way to go when I do buy. Most of my trips are solo. If I did need a tug or something it seems like I would more likely find someone close enough to help with a properly tuned CB.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I hated running CB before I went the HAM route. Another benefit to HAM is that it will likely be the only working form of comms during a natural disaster.

Programming is really easy, the test for technician is very attainable and radioes are very affordable. The HAM user base is huge and incredibly helpful. Jump in!

Reactions: Jimmy P