Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

I think anything off pavement, whether it is a gravel road of some distance or a designated "trail" at an offroad park makes a trail... It's whatever you make it.
This, as there is little really rough terrein to be found around here.. Heck finding a muddy road to get some dirt on the tires is hard to find haha.. Anything off pavement I generaly call a trail :P

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

For me, here in Europe, is hitting the trails, everything that doesnt bring me from A to B.
So, here we have to do unpaved, in any form, between Tarmac. But hey, I drove on Tarmac roads in Africa, Rumania, Poland, Spain and more and considered that a trail. They were so bad I was happy when the Tarmac ended.
For me Rock crawling, bashing through woods, not following a real trail/road, is Off Roading. And I prefer Overlanding.

According to Overland Journal;
Overlanding is about exploration, rather than conquering obstacles. While the roads and trails we travel might be rough or technically challenging, they are the means to an end, not the goal itself. The goal is to see and learn about our world, whether on a weekend trip 100 miles from home or a 10,000-mile expedition across another continent.

So, If I drive a road/trail/path whatever, and Iam enjoying the great outdoors, that is hitting the trails for me.

Thank you.

TacomaDave

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I went down a Forest Service road near me that even has a sign saying it was a FS road. Trust me, it was a trail. I'm pretty proud of my Tacoma and it's well-deserved reputation as an off-road beast. But I reached a point in that "road" where I said "no way". Even with a 3" lift, sliders and full skids I wasn't gonna tackle that mess. I had to backup a half mile to find a turnaround. Normally I don't take labels very seriously. Even in town I'm likely to say "It's getting late. I better hit the trail." Road, trail, overlanding, car camping. Whatever. I just wanna get out there and go do it.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

"forest road" is going to mean different things to different parts of the world....

this is a forest road here in MN....

I've had more scrapes, bruises and dents to my skid plates on "forest roads" in Minnesota than I did a whole week running "trails" In Moab.