What do fridge owners do in bear country?

• HTML tutorial

Mr_Mnml_Engnr

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

California, St. Mary's County, Maryland, United States
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Trombley
Member #

I’ve seen related discussions, but no direct answers. For folks with bed drawer kitchens and fridge setups built into the trucks, what do you do to prevent theft (by both humans and critters) of your food at camp?

I currently have a bear-resistant cooler that I store in the cab of my truck, but I’d like to eventually get to a setup that has a fridge installed in my truck bed, but I don’t know how to “bear-proof” that sort of setup. I’m hoping those with similar setups have solutions I’m not tracking.

Thanks!

Reactions: LoveTribeOverland

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Part of it is knowing bears visually recognize a cooler or other food source. Disguising the shape helps. I’m sure others will have more suggestions.

Reactions: Mr_Mnml_Engnr

Mr_Mnml_Engnr

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

California, St. Mary's County, Maryland, United States
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Trombley
Member #

Part of it is knowing bears visually recognize a cooler or other food source. Disguising the shape helps. I’m sure others will have more suggestions.
So is part of it keeping the fridge (which is likely not bear proof) out of sight (like in a covered truck bed, covered under a tarp, etc) and the other part is sealing food (ziplocks etc) so they can’t sniff it out?

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
T
So is part of it keeping the fridge (which is likely not bear proof) out of sight (like in a covered truck bed, covered under a tarp, etc) and the other part is sealing food (ziplocks etc) so they can’t sniff it out?
Thats the approach I take. Just lay a towel or blanket over it isn’t enough. Make it look like something besides a box.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Ya right- disguise your fridge & food boxes. Seriously? A bears sense of smell is roughly 2,000 times better than a humans sense of smell and that’s what drives them. They can easily detect bacon cooking from 3 miles away and they love bacon. ( We’ve never cooked bacon at camp.) we keep all foodstuff in either an ARB fridge, our small bear box or in a sealed container, inside a big sealed tote, inside a drawer inside the vehicle. If we need something, we open the drawer, open up the necessary box or fridge, and close everything back up, immediately. Nothing is ever left out, no drawers ever left open. Seems like a pita, but once you get into the habit, the worst that will happen is some wise ass will accuse you of being anal retentive. As soon as we are finished eating, it is time to clean up. At night, the trash sleeps in the vehicle, or a bear box when available. Keeping your camp clean and odor free is the key. Whatever you do, never ever eat anything inside your tent. Have we seen a bear? Yup, on multiple occasions we’ve seen them lumbering by. But that’s it. If they can’t smell anything, they just keep on keepin on. Good luck !

Dave in AZ

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Mac
This is another good reason to not have a pickup with exposed bed, rack and rooftop tent. I like the shell much better like an Alu-Cab, for security and this sort of thing.

Reactions: MOAK

Shawn686

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Canada
If you are not ground camping / on foot and not a slob. Just put stuff away and you will be fine

Have bears broken into vehicles? Yes
Does it happen often? No, despite what the internet says

Shawn

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
If you are not ground camping / on foot and not a slob. Just put stuff away and you will be fine

Have bears broken into vehicles? Yes
Does it happen often? No, despite what the internet says

Shawn
True, unfortunately people that are slobs do not think they are slobs. So at camp they are just a little less sloppy than normal and they think all is good. We had a newbie with us a few trips back and I advised that camp should be cleaned up, and everything put in its place before dark. Aw what’s the problem? was asked. The winds will pick up right around dusk. My advice wasn’t heeded. Fortunately no harm done, we did sit around and laugh at the guy as he was chasing all his “stuff” across the high desert. The real hilarity was that it happened the next night as well. Once again we all had a good laugh at his expense. ( think Lt Dan up on the mast doing battle with hurricane winds in Forest Gump ) Did he learn? Nope. He was the consummate slob and didn’t know it. It’s like being so stupid that you don’t realize that you are. ( that would be me about a lot of things) ha!

Reactions: GoogsPlay

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Shoot the bear
so, a grizzley decides to charge you. You have roughly 4 seconds to react. Gotta hit him perfect to take him down, otherwise it just makes him very angry. I know I'm not that quick. Oops, sorry, just thinking out loud. Kinda funny when you think about it.

Reactions: NHMachinist

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Shoot the bear
so, a grizzley decides to charge you. You have roughly 4 seconds to react. Gotta hit him perfect to take him down, otherwise it just makes him very angry. I know I'm not that quick. Oops, sorry, just thinking out loud. Kinda funny when you think about it.
My draw time is 1.2 seconds, and 75% in my PoA on first shot and 90% on following, under high stress... I should be ok.

Last edited:
Reactions: MOAK

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

I cook bacon on every trip and every morning. I have dinner done and cleaned up everything before dark so I can enjoy my coffee by the fire. I have the ARB dual zone fridge in the back seat. I cover it with many things to change the shape of it. All the food in my deck system is sealed and any mess is cleaned up before the trip. I really don't use any bear boxes. I have a 95% in the bullseye mark but at my age my draw is slower so I have two choices. I either clean up or reach for my ankles and hope he is gentle. All my camping is primitive and high elevation. I sleep in my truck bed under a snug top camper on my deck system. If the bear breaks glass, well, shoot first ask questions later and hope to laugh about later.