What Did You Do With Your Rig Today?

• HTML tutorial

jeep670

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

True...researching how to do it. Any quick tips you have?

Sent from my SM-G960U using OB Talk mobile app
Get a tuner for 2/70 (or whatever band(s) you transmit on) and tune it at your leisure whenever you need it. You tune by shortening/lengthening the antenna rod until you have the lowest SWR across each band.
I have this one.

Last edited:

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Get a tuner for 2/70 (or whatever band(s) you transmit on) and tune it at your leisure whenever you need it. You tune by shortening/lengthening the antenna rod until you have the lowest SWR across each band.
I have this one.
Thanks for the info. I actually did it the old fashion way of checking the squelch when I lengthened and shorten the antenna. Not the best way but it did in a pinch.... Went on a trail ride today and the new antenna and spring worked like a champ. :grinning: Very pleased with the purchase.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I bent my HAM antenna on the trail the other day through dense brush and trees. Sooooo... to remedy this (I hope) I purchase a similar spring mount solution to what you see for CB antennas...you know...those long antennas wagging back and forth, back and forth as they drive down the road.

Now I have a new Larsen antenna with the optional SpringB steel shock spring . :sunglasses:
I'll see how much I "wag" on the trail tomorrow... LOL:wink:

View attachment 61472
On the trail today I also tested out the new Mic extension cable I made. Didn't want to purchase a 3 meter or 5 meter extension cable since I only needed 2 feet. So into the network leftover box and got some ethernet cable and RJ45 coupler and voila.....
20180711_174123.jpg
20180711_174513.jpg

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
Installed an Odyssey Extreme battery and a Uniden CMX760 CB. Then did a nice drive through Fort Valley area of Front Royal and hit up Taskers Gap and Peters Mills Run.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I can’t find a whole lot of info on peters mill run. What is the trail like? I’m in NC and am considering a trip up that way to check it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I still remember the very first video that I watched from @Michael about packing his rig in 15 minutes or something in a mall parking lot. I am leaving wednesday for a week of camping with my girls. We were going to do a good chunk of the trans wisconsin trail, but I decided to stay a few nights at a few spots instead to get more quality time with them.

I had just recently unloaded from the last trip, so everything was in the garage still... just loading it up and it reminded me of that old video.

The two big pelican cases on the left are 1730 transports, with EO2 mounts on them.. they go on the roof. Then I have the food container (From container store), a cheap Plano case, and my main kitchen/camp box pelican... then the Kodiak canvas tent and pole back on the Front runner stainless steel prep table. The two room shower tent is sitting on top. Also have the Tool roll, arb tree strap, warn snatch block, rugged ridge strap/extension, warn zeon platinum 10-s controller. Behind is the toilet. Shower plumbing and Eccotemp water heater are in the big roof cases. (along with sleeping gear) . Only thing not pictured is the ARB 50 in the 2nd row of the LR4, and our clothes/duffle bags.

Six Actual

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Benicia, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Wickett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA6XM
Did some rear cargo area changes and updates.

Removed factory subwoofer and installed sub delete panel.
Used Black Forest Cargo baseplate as foundation.
Installed Dometic Fridge slide (Fridge is CFX 50)
Made a DIY cargo platform with remaining space. Worked out great to keep my Pelican 1520 & 1500 cases.
Installed Vector Off Road GGB/Shelf

Very happy with results. May try to mount some Rotopax water containers under the GGB. Will mount 10# power tank on shelf also.

IMG_0159.jpg IMG_0171.jpg IMG_0176.jpg