What Camp Saw Do You Use? (Non-powered hand saws)

• HTML tutorial

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Steve

I've not seen it mentioned here so I'll throw in for the 21" Sven-saw that I've used since I won it in a raffle as a boy scout.
I looked them up and they are still around and still made in Minnesota USA. Looks like REI and Campmor both carry them. Details at http://www.svensaw.com/

Boort

Reactions: Steve

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Silky Pocket Boy 170 fits nicely in the small spaces in the truck, and this thing is a weapon!

I had some large trees cut down and noticed that the guys all had different versions of Silky saws. I asked them what they thought about them, they said they outlast others about 4 to 1 before replacement - good enough for me!

The key to these is to use a light touch as you push through the branch, if you work too hard, they're not as effective and don't clear the sawdust well.

Dan.

Reactions: Steve

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

We carry a 15" Sven-Saw with us at all times. This is a great little compact folding saw that we also take backpacking, and use when we do trail maintenance. It cuts very well, takes up very little space, is compact, and pretty inexpensive.

Reactions: 1derer and Boort

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

Silky Gomboy. When I first received it, I tested it out in the backyard on a tree I needed to take down. It did the job, granted it was no easy task. The tree was maybe 9" thick?

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I have three different saws I may carry, depending on the circumstances.

The smallest is the Bahco Laplander. Not the best handheld pruning saw, but very reasonably priced and cuts on both the push and pull stroke. I use this for lighter load camping trips, especially when walking-in but not a lot of wood prep will be needed. Same one posted by @mbwesner

Next is a Bahco 30" bow saw. This is more of a workhorse and goes with us on bigger trips and usually stays in my trailer. Same one posted by @Lifestyle Overland

Finally I have a Pole and Paddle folding saw with a Bahco 24" blade. This is an in-between as it is packable for when I know I will be processing more firewood, but still need to carry it in or space is otherwise limited. I keep it in a waxed canvas pouch made by Badger Claw Leatherworks here in Texas:

saw 1.jpg saw 2.jpg saw 3.jpg saw 4.jpg

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

I got the same one
I just picked up one of the same - Corona - folding saws, 12" I believe? $25.?? at a local pro irrigation store, they also have a 7" model for $20.??, when it comes to cutting and trimming tooling Corona blades are really good. Also they sale replacement blades for most of their gardening cutters.

Reactions: jeepsnstuff

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I have a Sven saw that has seen quite a bit of use. It's good, but I might try out a Silky or a Corona saw.

Good things about Sven
+ Compact when folded.
+ Blade is protected when folded and won't cut other gear (or me).
+ Cuts well and holds a sharp edge
+ Well made and not fragile.

Not so good things
- There isn't a rubber grip, and it can be fatiguing to hold onto the angled upright.
- The arch is triangular and not very high, which limits your stroke when cutting thick logs.
- Takes some time to setup and take down.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@slomatt
Not so good things (about Sven)
- There isn't a rubber grip, and it can be fatiguing to hold onto the angled upright.
I resolved this with a section of old Mtn. Bike tube. Slide Tube off closed saw, then slide it back on the red handle and assemble saw as normal. This provided a bit more grip when wearing leather instead of "grippy" gloves.

HEYElliott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Member #

i use a bahco folding saw for cutting, I also use a 1.5lb short hatchet and occasionally a Schrade SCHF3N Knife for around camp. The blade is large so it stays in the back of the truck until I arrive at camp.

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

I have several different things that I use at work.

IMHO, The stuff you can get at lowes and home depot (and the like) are good enough for the basic around the house home user. That said, some times you need to spend good monies on great equipment to get the job done with little effort..

Silky’s are awesome. And I do not let any if the guy’s I work with touch them (bought by me not the company).

There are many a good saw out there, iust need to look in some of the right places. Sherrill tree is one of them. http://www.sherrilltree.com

I picked up ST Legacy 13” pruning saw and a Notch bypass pruner combo deal today in the Vermeer store. I am a big fan of the saw blade thru handle design. The throw line and ball (weight) were extras I picked up.

Done rambling for now.

~Bill

Sent from space using MyphoneOB Talk

JoeyLuck

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fallbrook, CA, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Luck
Member #

A guy I know is a big SOG fan. If they made condoms, ham and cheese sandwiches or underwear.... He’d buy ‘em.
Haha!! That's good! My buddy won the SOG folding saw and mini-tomahawk at some gun show and he had zero interest in them, so he passed them along. They have both worked pretty well so far. He is like that about Cold Steel stuff. If you say anything bad about them, he freaks out! It's funny.

Reactions: Hafaday