What camera should i buy?

• HTML tutorial

eric evans

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

iowa
Member #

Im looking to buy a camera for my fiance, since she mentioned something about if im "making" her go on my overlanding trips with me, she wants a decent camera for HER new hobby. I was thinking something like the canon rebel t6i. She is a beginner photographer. She also doesnt know im buying her one. Any info is greatly appreciated!

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

Check out mirrorless cameras. Sony is killing the newish segment and the future of cameras. Nikon is dragging to get a viable option to market which is now in the leak stages and Canon already gave it a shot and went back to the drawing board.

Smaller cameras usually more smartphone esque type of features

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

How much are you looking to spend? I started with the T1 Rebal years ago. bought some nice lenses for it but hit its limitations of not being a full frame camera a couple of years in... If I could start all over I would go with a Sony Mirrorless camera.

Reactions: brien and MoreGone

eric evans

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

iowa
Member #

Tehehe I love her lots! But my budget is around 4-500, honestly if I could find a good used one just so she could figure the while photographer thing out

outback_mick

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hmmmm… I might not recommend anything with interchangeable lenses at that price point. I'd say take a look at a used Sony RX10 (version 2 or 3). They have great zoom lenses capable of wides for landscape work and telephoto for wildlife, with all sorts of possibilities in between. If you can stretch your budget to around $700 to get a used Version 3, I'd think that would serve her very well.

And you might look at the Fred Miranda used gear marketplace. (I'd post a link, but can't due to forum rules.)

Cheers!

KRGibbs

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Belmont, CA
Member #

I second the sony mirrorless, find a used a6000 - a6500 $600-$1100 if bought new. Then if she wants to upgrade she can go to a nice amount sony camera and use the same lenses, then when she grows out of the lenses she can upgrade those all while staying in the same camera and lens family.

Small, compact, and versatile. With lots of room to grow into it.

tritonl

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Lukasz
Last Name
Mikula
Member #

Checkout fredmiranda .com for used cameras, it’s a large online group, very professional and they take their buying and selling seriously. Got a few lenses from there.

Reactions: eric evans

Mickmutante

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Bogota D.C.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HJ3SUA
No matter what brand of camere you buy canon, sony, nikon... look for your budget and think about buying good lenses... Like they said... You marry your lenses, you date your camera... or something like that... Lenses keep their value, body cameras do not...
Depending on what type of photography you should look for lenses... macro, landscape, portrait, nature, etc...

bjaSF

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

San Francisco
Member #

I have been taking landscape/cityscape photos. I use a sony a7rii camera. I started with a sony a6000 crop camera, cheap and good beginner interchangeable lens camera.

SVgarage

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Livermore, California
First Name
Eddy
Last Name
Louis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BOH
You might just check out your local Costco. They frequently have "entry level" camera outfits on sale, both Nikon and Canon. A couple of years ago, I bought the Nikon D3300 bundle for my trip to the Galapagos Islands. The package included the body, 2 lenses and a bag (plus a bunch of tutorial DVD's) for less than $500! Entry level does not mean "crap"- it is a full featured DSLR that shoots incredible images. It just means that there are better, more expensive models available. I've been shooting on Canon since the early 80's, but decided to try Nikon and I was not disappointed! Now, I believe that same Nikon camera is the D3400. Of course, Canon has a comparable package at a similar price- to each his/her own.

My point is that for $500, your fiance can have a brand new DSLR outfit with all the bells and whistles, and everything she will need to keep her busy for the next 5 years.

Traveler I

Nor Cal
Im looking to buy a camera for my fiance, since she mentioned something about if im "making" her go on my overlanding trips with me, she wants a decent camera for HER new hobby. I was thinking something like the canon rebel t6i. She is a beginner photographer. She also doesnt know im buying her one. Any info is greatly appreciated!
Depending on where you live. See if there is a place where you can rent a camera to see which one you like the best.

I own 3 Canons so I will never buy a Nikon.

I have 4 lens,3 tripods, 1 drone and many other accessories.

http:\\www.jennyspixs.com

I tried to add a couple of my photos but they appear to be too big. Let me know if you have any questions.