What are you doing to make your 2WD more capable?

• HTML tutorial

Relic6.3

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
Crowell
Member #

Not trying to fool myself into jumping in over my head but what have you done to your 2WD rig to enable that little further reach (or should I say that safer reach)?

I got my truck right at the end of December; one of the first things I did was make the bed rack to mount my RTT (I know, doesn't make it more capable but I provides the base camp for getting me out there). So far I have picked up two sets of recovery boards, a tow strap, and a snatch strap fill out my recovery side of the equation; already had a couple of snatch blocks and hard shackles. I have also picked up a few things to flesh out my med/trauma kit. I will be toting my moto when I am out and about; that'll definitely give me an easy out if needed (or a simple run to the corner market).

Next on my list are something to air down the tires when needed and an air compressor for when I am back on pavement. And then maybe comms, lights, an extra battery? Do I see myself getting into a predicament that requires a winch? I do have a list and will compare notes with other OB members when I run into them at meet-ups.

Reactions: Prizm

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

The plus of 2WD is you will not get as stuck as with 4WD. With 4WD I would drive in 2WD till I got stuck, shift into 4WD and back out. Best thing for 2WD is a selectable locker..... lock it and reverse out. Might not work as well as the 2WD/4WD thing but the best thing is having an edge once you get stuck..... even better is good judgement as you learn what your rig is capable of.

Another strategy to avoid getting stuck, keep it light. Don't go overboard with recovery equipment and tools. If you do the winch thing, remember you will not be as stuck with 2WD and buy a lighter winch. And with 2WD, consider a receiver mount so you can use it at either end.

Relic6.3

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
Crowell
Member #

The Silverado has a G80 rear locker as standard equipment; I haven't experienced it yet but from what I have read and understand it is an automatic kick in when one wheel spins about 120 revolutions faster than the other wheel; then it kicks in and you have traction to both wheels. Then I guess it is just a matter of maintaining easy throttle control till you get out. Need to get out somewhere where I can experience it and learn how to drive it. AT tires are on the list, still a lot of good tread on the tires that are on now though.
IMG_E0223.JPG

Relic6.3

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
Crowell
Member #

Another strategy to avoid getting stuck, keep it light.
I will say, I had the opportunity to put a FWC Granby in the bed for a delivery from NC to Tulsa OK, truck seemed to do a little better with a little bit of weight in the bed. Again, didn't take it on any crazy off-road trails but what little I did it felt good. Anxious to get out with what will be my standard load and see how it handles.

I kind of like the idea of a hitch mounted winch for front or rear use. Being a 2500HD though the truck weighs about 6200 lbs without any add-ons. I thought I'd need a 12k lb winch?

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

The Silverado has a G80 rear locker as standard equipment; I haven't experienced it yet but from what I have read and understand it is an automatic kick in when one wheel spins about 120 revolutions faster than the other wheel; then it kicks in and you have traction to both wheels. Then I guess it is just a matter of maintaining easy throttle control till you get out. Need to get out somewhere where I can experience it and learn how to drive it. AT tires are on the list, still a lot of good tread on the tires that are on now though.
View attachment 141796
You likely have experienced it and just didnt know, Its not a super harsh engagement. More of a small clunk noise.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Another strategy to avoid getting stuck, keep it light. Don't go overboard with recovery equipment and tools. If you do the winch thing, remember you will not be as stuck with 2WD and buy a lighter winch. And with 2WD, consider a receiver mount so you can use it at either end.
Not so sure keeping it light is good? On our last trip, which was in Baja, our rig was somewhere over 8,700 lbs total with gear and supplies. It did great.
I have gotten stuck a lot in my various 2WD pick ups and most of the time it was when they were empty. I think it is better to have more wieght on the rear axle then is on the front.

Traction and traction.

Just my opinion.

We have a Detroit Locker in our 99 F250 7.3 it is great. With the stock LSD or posi, we got stuck a lot. But with the locker not near as much and it is way easier to get unstock with it also. The Detroit lock was way cheaper and easier to install then an air locker or "E" locker. And on air lines or harness to worry about.

To me a compressor is a most because airing down REALLY helps and it makes the ride much nicer too.

f250 down hill.jpg

Baja 0209.jpg

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

I have heard that the GM gear lockers with the through out counter weights in them can break easily under loads. I have one of those broken ones sitting in the garage somewhere.

Detroit lockers are pretty bullet proof.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I will say, I had the opportunity to put a FWC Granby in the bed for a delivery from NC to Tulsa OK, truck seemed to do a little better with a little bit of weight in the bed. Again, didn't take it on any crazy off-road trails but what little I did it felt good. Anxious to get out with what will be my standard load and see how it handles.

I kind of like the idea of a hitch mounted winch for front or rear use. Being a 2500HD though the truck weighs about 6200 lbs without any add-ons. I thought I'd need a 12k lb winch?
Double up on the winch cable and double your towing load. I used a little 3000# hitch mounted winch for many years and pulled a lot of people out of trouble using the doubling method.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Not so sure keeping it light is good?
It is much easier to extract a 4K# vehicle than an 8K# vehicle. It is also easier on the vehicle, less breakage if you are under your GVWR than if you are over your GVWR. But yes, you need traction on the drives, I was not suggesting running empty was the right decision.

With 2WD, I'd add a selectable locker first, and carry tire chains if the conditions warrant them.

Reactions: Daryl 32

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

It is much easier to extract a 4K# vehicle than an 8K# vehicle. It is also easier on the vehicle, less breakage if you are under your GVWR than if you are over your GVWR. But yes, you need traction on the drives, I was not suggesting running empty was the right decision.

With 2WD, I'd add a selectable locker first, and carry tire chains if the conditions warrant them.
Agreed our F250 is a ways away for being fully loaded - air bags and heavy duty spring up grades.

When I got stock in the sand once - towing our 4,500 lb R/V trailer. While the family was out exploring I jacked it up with the stock bottle jack one wheel at a time. I filled in the holes with sand and leveled the sand around the tires. In the rear I put the TREDS under the tires before lowering it back down. I was able to back out of the camp site with the trailer attached with no issues. I believe one of the major contributing facts to our getting stuck was too much pressure on the brakes when I stopped - locking the tires and sinking them in the sand.

This picture is after the work and rear tires on the TREDS. It was also raining when we arrived you can see the marks on the tire of how deep it was.

Glamping 4.jpg

Last edited:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I've got no problem spinning both rear tires when stuck. Locker without 4wd is useless.

Concentrate on recovery gear. Winch, hilift, truck claws, etc .etc.

Relic6.3

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
Crowell
Member #

Big thing for me this past weekend was just getting out and driving! Definite confidence booster and encouraging to actually experience the capabilities of my 2wd full size. Went to the meet-up with the Western VA folks on Sunday. @TerryD planned out a trail ride that took us through the George Washington National Forest. A good portion was on easy forest service roads but the afternoon consisted of two track, narrow, water crossings that would have had me turning around if I were by myself. Terry's Xterra in front of me and Brian's Jeep Wrangler behind me gave me the confidence to press on; I think the truck is more capable than I am.
IMG_0300.JPGIMG_3159.JPG

Attachments

CoffeeBeard

Rank 0

Contributor I

Augusta, GA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Emanis
Big thing for me this past weekend was just getting out and driving! Definite confidence booster and encouraging to actually experience the capabilities of my 2wd full size. Went to the meet-up with the Western VA folks on Sunday. @TerryD planned out a trail ride that took us through the George Washington National Forest. A good portion was on easy forest service roads but the afternoon consisted of two track, narrow, water crossings that would have had me turning around if I were by myself. Terry's Xterra in front of me and Brian's Jeep Wrangler behind me gave me the confidence to press on; I think the truck is more capable than I am.
View attachment 143930View attachment 143932
Agreed. Confidence is a must. 2WD can get through a lot with a confident driver. And some buddies to back you up just in case

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
View attachment 143930View attachment 143932
ive recently been doing some water crossings in my 2wd. This one looks substantial, but in reality was perhaps 8 inches deep.

E1F8D315-A6D9-403C-8690-0F1520F76FCD.png5BD4291B-5D4B-458D-A30B-39F012EA4D63.jpeg

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

For sure you need weight over the driving wheels, any empty 2WD pickup in the winter is almost useless, but avoid loading up stuff you'll never use.

Winch capacity. I used to install them on forestry and oilfield pickups 40 years ago, back then the standard was the Tulsa 5E, a 5K# winch. The 12K#, 16K# winches are a recent marketing ploy. Sure there are some diesels pulling 5th wheel toy haulers who can use them but if you are running a 2WD pickup, any 8K# winch will be ideal.