Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
Infantry vet. 88-03
Thanks!
Cross lake is nice! So is Long Island lake, we drive up a few times a year

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
We've seen those signs, just never roamed that direction. I know the "college crowd" makes for a noisy crowd at Cross Lake and after a few 2 am wake up calls, we haven't gone up again unfortunately.

That was when we started hitting crown land in the foothills.

Reactions: Mitch Pedersen

Traveler II

We've seen those signs, just never roamed that direction. I know the "college crowd" makes for a noisy crowd at Cross Lake and after a few 2 am wake up calls, we haven't gone up again unfortunately.

That was when we started hitting crown land in the foothills.
Long Island lake is much quieter! Nothing really beats the foothills/mountains though

Reactions: Carnivore

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV

Carnivore

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Blue Quill, Edmonton, AB, Canada
First Name
JPD
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
Infantry vet. 88-03
Quite the itinerary. I've subbed to that thread. You'll be within a 4 hour drive of Edmonton when you're near the Jasper Alberta portion. Good time of year for it too. Bugs will be lighter than in the spring it seems as the nights start getting at little cooler near the Rockies.

Reactions: Terry Pickens

15Canyon

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Edmonton
Member #

I'm just starting to plan a similar trip! Probably only 21 days though, damn work haha

That's on the list for next summer, I'm going to (hopefully) go up to Prudhoe Bay, but I'm definitely going to Anchorage at least.

Bugs will be lighter than in the spring it seems as the nights start getting at little cooler near the Rockies.
Not sure if you guys have heard of this, but you can get bug spray with picaridin in it, which is like DEET but doesn't smell bad. Works really damn well.

Traveler II

That's on the list for next summer, I'm going to (hopefully) go up to Prudhoe Bay, but I'm definitely going to Anchorage at least.

Not sure if you guys have heard of this, but you can get bug spray with picaridin in it, which is like DEET but doesn't smell bad. Works really damn well.
I just heard about that last night actually! Want to try it out!

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Quite the itinerary. I've subbed to that thread. You'll be within a 4 hour drive of Edmonton when you're near the Jasper Alberta portion. Good time of year for it too. Bugs will be lighter than in the spring it seems as the nights start getting at little cooler near the Rockies.
Yes, I have a photographer friend in Edmonton I also hope to hook up with, it would be nice to meet a few overlanders on the adventure.

vagabondexpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

various
Member #

Just sharing a few photos from the past couple of weeks...

Drumheller - You know, I do love the mountains, but have had a thing for the "Badlands" this year for some reason.

Heading into the mountains, but need a easy to find "rest stop"? This is just out of Rocky Mountain House. I've never been hassled here - but you do get the sounds of the street racing chodes flying by on the streets in town. Great spot to spend a night, then get up and go early in the a.m.

Of course, my old favorite "standby" location to venture out to.. great to escape the craziness of tourists, and it's mostly quiet too.
Abraham Lake on Highway 11.

See more on my adventures (link below), Youtube, Instagram, etc.

Carnivore

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
JPD
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
Infantry vet. 88-03
@vagabondexpedition you ever go near Wayne and the "Last Chance Saloon" near Drum? We're thinking of checking the area out and spend a few nights tenting it.

Haven't spent much time there since I was a kid (other than blowing get through town on a Hotshot run)... not sure if you're local to the area or just a "frequent flyer" lol.

Or anyone else who might know is welcome to add input if they'd like.

Reactions: vagabondexpedition

vagabondexpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

various
Member #

@vagabondexpedition you ever go near Wayne and the "Last Chance Saloon" near Drum? We're thinking of checking the area out and spend a few nights tenting it.

Haven't spent much time there since I was a kid (other than blowing get through town on a Hotshot run)... not sure if you're local to the area or just a "frequent flyer" lol.

Or anyone else who might know is welcome to add input if they'd like.
Apologies.. hadn't been in this thread for a bit! But yes, done that road a few times. There is a nice little camp site along the way.. I think they charged $10-$15 per night. I'd only ever seen one other person setup in it whenever I've passed the area. Otherwise, options are limited as it's all private property around there. If rooms are available, spend a night at Last Chance Saloon - it's allegedly haunted, and I think rooms are fairly cheap. Might be worth spending a night 'indoors' just to say you've done that too!

Reactions: Carnivore

Carnivore

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
JPD
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
Infantry vet. 88-03
We were contemplating going there a while back. Glad we called ahead. Apparently there was some event going on the same weekend and they were packed solid. Even the rooms were all spoken for...

It's still on our destination list tho. Have some online acquaintances down that way so it'll be a worthwhile trip we figure.

Thanks for the extra details. Much appreciated.

John

Apologies.. hadn't been in this thread for a bit! But yes, done that road a few times. There is a nice little camp site along the way.. I think they charged $10-$15 per night. I'd only ever seen one other person setup in it whenever I've passed the area. Otherwise, options are limited as it's all private property around there. If rooms are available, spend a night at Last Chance Saloon - it's allegedly haunted, and I think rooms are fairly cheap. Might be worth spending a night 'indoors' just to say you've done that too!