Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Also, you might consider taking a chainsaw for early season trail clearing ;) I have not been on the bypass but understand it is easier; YMMV...

Mud was here-ish: 46.72057, -121.06345
Our Bethel Ridge camp was here: 46.71541, -121.08538

Bethel Ridge Mud Pit Bypass

GPX viewer
Yes the bypass for that section is super easy, just gravel forest service roads. It does offer some nice views along the way and some better camping options than on the ridge. Bypass is also about 1.5 miles shorter and you can travel faster if you're trying to make up lost time. Both drop you out at the same spot in Nile. If anyone is interested go to the Downloadable routes section, filter by US Northwest and I have a route posted that is both ways put together in a loop. I think it's titled "Bethel Ridge Loop".

• Love
Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Yes the bypass for that section is super easy, just gravel forest service roads. It does offer some nice views along the way and some better camping options than on the ridge. Bypass is also about 1.5 miles shorter and you can travel faster if you're trying to make up lost time. Both drop you out at the same spot in Nile. If anyone is interested go to the Downloadable routes section, filter by US Northwest and I have a route posted that is both ways put together in a loop. I think it's titled "Bethel Ridge Loop".
Thank you sir! I believe it was you that informed us of the Bethel Ridge bypass in 2020. But did we listen? Noooo, we had to do it the hard way! ;)

Reactions: MrWilsonWJ

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Thank you sir! I believe it was you that informed us of the Bethel Ridge bypass in 2020. But did we listen? Noooo, we had to do it the hard way! ;)
The hard way is fun sometimes. If I had heard someone else had already been through it I would have done the same. When I went through the first time that year I was alone which probably wasn't the best choice with the condition of the trail, but it was a lot of fun and I didn't have to winch so I'll call that a win.

lucferros

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Gregor
Member #

As others have stated May might/will provide some snow and mud - if you are going this early you might consider MT tires, especially around Bethel Ridge. As @mtn (and others) have stated we made 4 miles through the "mud pits" in one day on our way out of the Bethel Ridge area. If I remember correctly we also hit deep snow before Bethel Ridge that was easy enough to get through but did cause some contemplating before "sending it" (as the kids would say). Overall the WABDR is pretty easy going but early wetness can be an issue on the first couple of sections (starting in Stevenson).

Are you going solo without a winch? If so I would take it slowly and not be afraid to turn around and take a bypass. If Bethel Ridge is anything like it was for the 2020 trip recovery boards will not help. If I remember correctly there is an easier bypass for getting around Bethel Ridge; I'll take a look in my archives and get back at you.

Snow well before Bethel Ridge
View attachment 228529

Highlights of the post Bethel Ridge mud pits. Wish I had more photos/video but we were mired and working hard to get the group through.

View attachment 228522 View attachment 228523 View attachment 228524 View attachment 228525

A slide show like video from the 2020 trip.
Yeah we will be solo without a winch. I did just fit some brand new General ATX tires on it. But yeah not going to try to get too cute with the terrain with no winch available. I’m also going to take it to an off-road shop just to have them give it a full look through so that nothing is standing out mechanically that might cause me problems. I’d take any shop recommendations in the south Seattle/Tacoma area if anyones got them. So far it’s looking like Bill Bobs Off-road or Auburn Auto Repair and Offroad.

Mfoxventures

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Kalama, Washington, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fox
Member #

The snow up there is not forgiving. I’d suggest mid June but if you go up early be sure to take extra precautions. I’ve done this trip and cell service is sparse. I will be doing this trip in June weather permitting. Good luck friend.

lucferros

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Gregor
Member #

We ended up having to reschedule due to the wife changing jobs. I did a scout trip though and there was snow as early as 3500ft so it was probably for the best. We are hoping for August instead.

mtn

Rank IV

Influencer II

Washington, USA
First Name
Ole
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7OLE
We ended up having to reschedule due to the wife changing jobs. I did a scout trip though and there was snow as early as 3500ft so it was probably for the best. We are hoping for August instead.
There's an ever narrowing window between when snow melts and when the forest fires start.... don't wait too long!

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I was up in the area Memorial weekend and ran some of the roads around Bethel ridge. Bear lake was totally accessible, coming from the north on bethel ridge we didn't hit snow until around 5,200' but the trail portion of Bethel Ridge was still closed there at FS 1400. We went down 1400 from the ridge to Bear lake and tried going up 4w652 to Bethel ridge but that was blocked with snow also. I put a write up and some pictures from the trip in the Tri Cities Clubhouse thread.