US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

So I keep seeing ads for this product and I was wondering if anyone of you has one (or something similar) and well it works.

At first sight, it seems a bit of a gimmick.

Thanks!

jcx03

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

los angeles
First Name
joseph
Last Name
c
Member #

This reminds me of the shaking flashlight - very gimmicky IMO, and I don't think it'll net you the results you want.

FlounderUSN

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Where the wind blows
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Hatch
Member #

Following (should anyone post up with first hand experience).

I will say I have been looking into this and based on a handful of youtube reviews it seems to work as advertised. This one here: hooks up volt meters to monitor actual output and he seems to put it through its paces at least a bit. This was probably the better done of the few I did watch. All agree that the wind aspect is lacking (requires very high wind to turn) but a new model has attachable large blades for wind that may make the wind piece better. It seems these wouldn't be terrible if, like me, you like camping in forested areas along rivers and streams that would have enough velocity to power this. Since it would power 24/7 and if under a forest canopy you probably wouldn't be able to harvest much solar this could be a great little option to help with power generation. Although, the claims on the website of producing more than a 100 W solar panel over 24 hours makes no sense to me (assuming you have the N American average of 5 hours sun you should make approx 500 Whours and this turbine at best case scenario is 15W over 24 makes 360). Maybe my electrical understanding is lacking?

I did see some other ideas though and one was these little turbines here: And this video here shows they seem to work as advertised: Free Energy from Stream , Micro hydro turbines. | DIY |

These are cheap and from reviews make as advertised power. So buy 3-4 and have more power than water lily. But as far as I can tell you would need a relatively long hose and enough of a downgrade along the stream to create enough gravity pressure for these. I am thinking I may buy a couple just to play with and see what I can make work. Of course, for how cheap they are I doubt they would last long, more of a fun little experiment type of thing than a long term power solution.