Schwaan

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Saskatoon, SK, Canada
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Sawatzky
As I've been adding to my overland trailer. I've come across an aluminum water storage tank that I'd love to install onto it. My concern is mounting location. The only usable spot for it would be under the kitchen slide out. With that being said, my concern is about ground clearance. trailer frame clearance is 17.5", which would bring the 8" diameter tank down to 9.5" ground clearance at the very rear. Do you think this would be an issue? I don't find myself in sticky situations very often. What are you thoughts?20230522_161826.jpg

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Long ago I considered mounting a tank beneath the trailer. The only place I considered was in the middle slightly forward of the axle. My trailers deck is 24” off the ground and I have never hit it when coming off ledges. Still, I decided it best to mount my tanks, inside the trailer, protected well protected from any wayward boulders.

HaVeeBear

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Elkridge, Maryland, United States
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Armendariz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3VWL
9.5" of clearance is pretty good...except at the front and rear of the trailer. If you can get it close to the axle (I assume it has an axle), that would be best. The front and rear can get very close or even rub/scrape the ground when going through a V-notch or up and over a steep bank/hill. I would think a filled tank that far back and low may put too much weight behind the axle. Definitely don't want negative weight lifting the tongue/hitch. Heavy items should be as close to the axle (or forward the axle) as possible. Water is heavy.

I like that tank...

Schwaan

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Saskatoon, SK, Canada
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Sawatzky
9.5" of clearance is pretty good...except at the front and rear of the trailer. If you can get it close to the axle (I assume it has an axle), that would be best. The front and rear can get very close or even rub/scrape the ground when going through a V-notch or up and over a steep bank/hill. I would think a filled tank that far back and low may put too much weight behind the axle. Definitely don't want negative weight lifting the tongue/hitch. Heavy items should be as close to the axle (or forward the axle) as possible. Water is heavy.

I like that tank...
Awesome, thank you for the replys. As far as weight, I do not plan on traveling with it full of water ever, as I always carry 20l of drinking water in my jeep. This is mainly for my hot shower system, the reason I'd like to keep it as far back as possible is simply for accessibility. If you look at my build post ( light tower conversion ), you'll find I'm a HD mechanic, and I use semi parts whenever I can, they sure are tough. This is a peterbilt wet tank.