Water Management

• HTML tutorial

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
We stopped using a large pot of water for cooking pasta, just a small amount that is almost gone by the time the pasta is done. Comes out quite well, especially if you add a good amount of sauce anyway.

Ha, we actually don’t eat pasta but it was the best example that came to mind. Friends would add pasta to soups, eliminating any waste water. We have an overland friend that came from the boating world and she would long soak rice removing the need to cook it. A little too hardcore for us.

Reactions: walkabout_ca

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

a friend of mine tried this out last year and i just tried it out on my last camping trip. use one of these sprayers for washing dishes to save water. you get pressurized water spray and it doesn't go through the water so fast.

I've been doing this for the last few years and it makes a big difference in water savings, not having to carry dish washing equipment and in reducing grey water. A few other things ... don't cook more than you can eat, eat all that you cook, use paper plates and bowls and burn them, wipe your pots, pans, utensils, etc. clean before they dry up and then spray wash them and wipe them with paper towels.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I use very little water when it comes to washing dishes. I use paper plates, wipe pots & pans clean with paper towel and then wipe it clean with a Clorox wipe. I then burn it all in the fire pit unless it's the last day and we pack it in a trash bag and bring it with us. Water is used for washing hands when Clorox wipes just aren't enough which is rare. I've never camped for more than about 4 days so I usually just bring a few gallons of drinkable water and bring one of my 7 gallon containers for an extra water needs for cleaning up etc. I am looking for a filter solution, I have the small life saver filter but looking for something to handle filter the 7 gallon container.

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

I use very little water when it comes to washing dishes. I use paper plates, wipe pots & pans clean with paper towel and then wipe it clean with a Clorox wipe. I then burn it all in the fire pit unless it's the last day and we pack it in a trash bag and bring it with us. Water is used for washing hands when Clorox wipes just aren't enough which is rare. I've never camped for more than about 4 days so I usually just bring a few gallons of drinkable water and bring one of my 7 gallon containers for an extra water needs for cleaning up etc. I am looking for a filter solution, I have the small life saver filter but looking for something to handle filter the 7 gallon container.
I use a Sawyer drip system, works great and you can use it while driving or camping if u secure it well. I highly recommend this system over a pump or other. Also, I’d take a hard look at the GRAYL bottles, because if you’ve ever tried using just the life straw over a 24hr period, you’ll see how much work they truly are, maybe to the point where your jaw locks up from cramping and your cheeks won’t work for hours in between uses. Sounds like you got a great set up already, have fun out there!

GBGCR4x4

Rank III

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Gianluca
Last Name
Boncompagni
I have a 42 liter tank over my rack, that's for showering and dishes. it lasts 4 days for 3 people, if you are smart in using it. Then I pack 2x 5 gallon water containers (a lot for some, and uncomfortable depending on your vehicle), but I've seen that work wonders for even 4 people. Sure, that's not the only liquid we carry, but yeah.