Watching people turn around with massive trailers and new trucks.

• HTML tutorial

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS call sign: WRFL229
Sitting here on my porch at my cabin in Oregon where a forestry road leads to a campsite. Problem is the campsite was flooded and everything is messed up. Watching people pull in and then come out about an hour later all day.

No one expects changes to remote sites and no news about conditions.

YoKramer

Rank IV

Influencer II

Concord NC
Member #

I thought this was going to be a video about people who can't back up w/ a trailer. I'd be one of them, but I don't own a trailer.
I feel you man, I can't back up a trailer to save my life. Like so much so that while they are super cool there is no way I would ever own an off road trailer.

2WheelRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Yarger
Member #

I thought this was going to be a video about people who can't back up w/ a trailer. I'd be one of them, but I don't own a trailer.
I feel you man, I can't back up a trailer to save my life. Like so much so that while they are super cool there is no way I would ever own an off road trailer.
Use the thumb trick. With your right hand, grab the bottom of the wheel (palm down). Left hand out the window giving a thumbs up. Point your thumb in the direction you want the trailer to go. Move your right hand in that direction.

I was parking the family pop-up in the garage at 15 because my dad just could not figure it out, and my mom didn't think she could do it without hitting something. Not sure why they decided it was ok to let me try it, but went in like a pro.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I used to back C141B and C17A aircraft into hangers. A real challenge because they have 2 pivot points. So, my 30ft and 21ft travel trailers are no issue. Yes, I have 2 travel trailer, long story.

And, the Movie, Long Long trailer, EXCELLENT!

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Uhhh. Please ex.....plane? Or better yet is there a video to explain this?
So, the tow vehicle is connected to the plane with a tow bar. The tow bar pivots at the front or back of the tow vehicle, the tow bar is then connected to the nose landing gear of the plane. That connection is solid. So, to turn the plane you have to drive the tow vehicle in a way that causes the nose gear to pivot in the direction you want then push the plane in that direction.

This video shows it really well. Once you get the plane going the direction you want, then you have to move the tow vehicle to "follow" it through the turns, it is fun.
I did what the guy in the video is doing, but with a larger plane and into hangers at night. Of course we always had spotters and comms.

Reactions: MazeVX

2WheelRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Yarger
Member #

it is fun.
Ok that does look like fun, and once I read your explanation I thought to myself, of course thats what he meant.

So it essentially corrects the reversing needed with backing a trailer, but then reverses it again because you're pushing not pulling and facing the plane instead of away. It sounds crazy complicated in theory, but in actuality I imagine it's not as difficult as it sounds.

That is not to say it's so easy anyone could do it.